General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbee...quick intro and JACK'D outta my mind Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-30 11:34 PM

Subject: Newbee...quick intro and JACK'D outta my mind

Hey there

Just wanted to introduce myself quickly while my excitement is on cloud whatever!  I've been having this on my Bucket List for years now and kept putting it off, never making it a commitment.  

Today I woke up feeling like it was now or who knows when.  This will be my very first triathlon...date of event June 23, 2012.  I'm so new to all of this and looking to get some feedback on the best place to start with the timeframe that I have.  By the way...one of my motivations is to learn how to swim.  I love the water but have yet to overcome swimming.  PLEASE GIVE ANY FEEDBACK....

Thanks and glad to join this group!

Edited by Lotoreed 2012-01-30 11:39 PM

2012-01-31 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4019907

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Newbee...quick intro and JACK'D outta my mind

Start using your logs, and plenty of people here will be happy to chat with you about progress!

Check out the free plans here to start with

2012-01-31 8:20 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Ditto the previous poster.

Add to your logs, let us see where you are, download a free plan here, and do it. The worst that can happen is that you feel better about yourself and want to do it again.

2012-01-31 8:25 AM

User image

Regular
San Luis Obispo

Way to go for making the jump into triathlons.  You will absolutely love what this sport does for you mentally and physically. 

Regarding swimming; try finding a Masters Swim Coach who will teach you drills and the mechanics of efficient swimming verses efficient drowning.  He/she also may also offer information about getting involved with group swim lessons and masters.  You'll find that with swimming, it's about sticking with it and knowing that you will only improve with time practicing.

BT is full of fantastic resources for you too for your triathlon experience.  Everyone is super helpful and supportive as well.

Good luck and have fun!

2012-01-31 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

When you say "learn swimming", can you swim at all? If you're starting from absolute beginner, I would recommend getting some private lessons ASAP, and masters swim sessions as often as you can attend for supervised practice. I don't mean to be alarmist, but even if it's a short course (less than 800m) swim, it's just not safe to be a beginning swimmer out there. Be sure to get a few open water swim (OWS) sessions at distance in there prior to the race, too - it's a very different experience, and most people find it takes a bit of time to adapt.

Don't be shy about posting your starting benchmarks and goals, and we won't be shy about posting helpful comments and encouragement!

Congratulations on finally tackling this off your list. It's an incredibly rewarding way of life (and yes, it's not just a race, it's about to be an obsession )!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbee...quick intro and JACK'D outta my mind Rss Feed