General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Texas or IM Lou Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-31 7:44 PM

User image

Subject: IM Texas or IM Lou
I wanted to do my first IM in 2012, but it is not going to happen this year. My wife and I decided between IM TX or IM LOU for 2013. Which one should I do? Would love to hear your input about the above races. Thanks

2012-01-31 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4021967

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: IM Texas or IM Lou

Well...

I am doing TX in May and have done Louisville so a few questions for you.

Where do you live and how would winter training be?

Do you like hills on the bike?

Do you like heat and humidity...well both will have that

No wetsuits in either

How do you feel about swimming in the Ohio River?

Just a few things to think about

2012-01-31 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4021993

User image

I live in Oklahoma, so alot of trainer workouts over the winter.

Hills are not a big deal to me.

Would rather race in the heat.

Good without the wetsuit

I'm a diver for my department and I have dove in alot of very dirty water.

Thanks
2012-02-01 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4021993

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN
Shermbelle - 2012-01-31 7:57 PM

Well...

No wetsuits in either

I haven't done Texas, but will be doing Louisville for the 3rd time this year. Training for a May Ironman, is not for me. I am a fair weather biker and would not be able to train properly for a 140.6 with the majority of my miles on a trainer. I, personally, also wouldn't be able to get acclimated to the heat that comes with the Texas race that early in the season.  Other than that, it is hot and humid in both, Louisville for sure won't be wetsuit legal and swimming in the Ohio was not bad at all. I live in Memphis and it is as clean as most of the other races I compete in (lakes and rivers).

2012-02-01 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4022891

User image

Elite
N Carolina
wes mantooth - 2012-02-01 10:15 AM

Well...

No wetsuits in either

I haven't done Texas, but will be doing Louisville for the 3rd time this year. Training for a May Ironman, is not for me. I am a fair weather biker and would not be able to train properly for a 140.6 with the majority of my miles on a trainer. I, personally, also wouldn't be able to get acclimated to the heat that comes with the Texas race that early in the season.  Other than that, it is hot and humid in both, Louisville for sure won't be wetsuit legal and swimming in the Ohio was not bad at all. I live in Memphis and it is as clean as most of the other races I compete in (lakes and rivers).

x2.  I don't know why people think it is so bad..........

2012-02-01 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4023325

Champion
No excuses!
japarker24 - 2012-02-01 12:41 PM

Well...

No wetsuits in either

Didn't bother me a bit either, just remembering the sign along the river that said something to the effect of No swimming, dangerous to your health

2012-02-02 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I did IMKY in 2008. I am now doing IMTX May 2012.

I have seen both swim, bike and run courses.

The IMKY swim is better than IMTX. IMTX is in this man-made canal for people with nice homes in the area, and shopping centers. IMKY is in a river and mostly downstream. The downside to Kentucky is the time trial start. Annoying to stand in line. Although, less stressful than a mass start.

The bike in Kentucky is a bunch of rolling hills. I like hills, so I was happy with it. I didn't get a lot of hill training here in Dallas, TX but I felt I got in enough training to be able to do a decent job on the bike. The bike course at IMTX has a few rollers, but NOTHING like Kentucky. It is a much flatter course, but certainly not boring. When I saw the IMTX bike course, and rode it, I was sold.

The run in Kentucky is two loops and it is pretty flat. I would saw it is pretty much the same as Texas. Although Texas is 3 loops. Which some might find annoying.. can't say I'm keen on it.

Both races are when it is hot and humid. So I don't think the weather is really a factor in this.

Training for IMKY takes places roughly March-August. Training for IMTX is December-May. I hate cold weather for biking and running. A lot of my training has been indoors. You have to decide, how much are you willing to suffer in the cold, or indoors. Even with the mild winter, I still spent 11 hours on my bike trainer for January (can't ride in the dark after work). Then again, I'm also indoors if it is below 50. I hate being cold.

If you do IMKY you will be able to get most of your training outdoors no problem.

Otherwise, IMTX will be a cheaper race as far as travel and accomodations go. I spent around $1,800-$2,000 on hotel, rental car, flights, and Tribike Transport. It is a 4 hour drive for me to Houston. I am taking less time off work, not renting a car, not paying for my bike to be transported... so I'm probably going to save a good $1,200.

Good luck deciding!

2012-02-02 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas

I did IM Lou as my first in 2010 and IM TX last year.

Swim: The TT start at Lou didn't make that much difference in terms of crowds. I still got punched in the head. The mass start does have a slightly different energy and seems a bit more exciting. If I had to pick one I would choose Lou. The current is nice and I liked the setting better.

Bike: I didn't think they were that much different. Hot, with a decent amount of rolling terrain. Had fun on both courses. Louisville is possibly more spectator friendly as you do loops. However, as a participant I like the one loop course better.

Run: They were both flat, hot, exposed and well supported. I did like the finish line at Louisville better. Coming into downtown was amazing. It was my first so I may be biased. They both had great energy, but Louisville was better.

Setting: IM TX basically has a mall as home base for the race. Not my favorite location, but some may find it ideal. Louisville is centered around downtown Louisville which I liked better.

It's much closer for me to do TX, but I would choose Louisville if I had to pick one or the other.

2012-02-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4026085

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
dangitdake - 2012-02-02 3:22 PM

Swim: The TT start at Lou didn't make that much difference in terms of crowds. I still got punched in the head. The mass start does have a slightly different energy and seems a bit more exciting. If I had to pick one I would choose Lou. The current is nice and I liked the setting better.

Bike: I didn't think they were that much different. Hot, with a decent amount of rolling terrain. Had fun on both courses. Louisville is possibly more spectator friendly as you do loops. However, as a participant I like the one loop course better.

Run: They were both flat, hot, exposed and well supported. I did like the finish line at Louisville better. Coming into downtown was amazing. It was my first so I may be biased. They both had great energy, but Louisville was better.

Setting: IM TX basically has a mall as home base for the race. Not my favorite location, but some may find it ideal. Louisville is centered around downtown Louisville which I liked better.

It's much closer for me to do TX, but I would choose Louisville if I had to pick one or the other.

WOW. You thought IMKY and IMTX had the same amount of hills and elevation? Interesting.

IMKY seems to have a lot more hills and elevation gain that IMTX.

2012-02-03 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4023325

Master
Northern IL
japarker24 - 2012-02-01 11:41 AM

I agree, imaginations have been running wild with it. Better than what I normally swim in.

Can't speak for TX, but the IMKY bike course is fun if you have the training in for the distance.

2012-02-03 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4027230

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
KSH - 2012-02-03 8:35 AM
dangitdake - 2012-02-02 3:22 PM

WOW. You thought IMKY and IMTX had the same amount of hills and elevation? Interesting. IMKY seems to have a lot more hills and elevation gain that IMTX.

The elevation gain on my Garmin for IM LOU was 4559 ft for IM TX it was 2198 ft. I guess that is a fairly substantial difference. I spin the hills and make sure to keep my power and HR in check so I may be a bad one to judge. Let me rephrase. The hills on the LOU course aren't that bad, though there is twice as much elevation gain

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Texas or IM Lou Rss Feed