General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit water temperature. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-10 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Wetsuit water temperature.

At what temperature would you wear a wetsuit?

2006-05-10 7:02 PM
in reply to: #420410

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Wetsuit water temperature.

77.9 degrees or below. I might forgo it in a very short swim triathlon (quarter mile or less, because the time gained from wearing it would be negated by the time it takes to remove it. but I'm a good swimmer, and for slower swimmers the time advantage would go the other way.

I've done stand-alone OW swims in temps as low as about 58 degrees. 

2006-05-10 7:02 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
in a race or for training?

72 feels good for me without a wetsuit. i do wear a full suit when i train in the bay or the ocean, which is about 55 +/- 2

i'd always wear a wetsuit in a race. makes you about 10% faster.

let's say 70 would be where i start thinking about wether to wear or not to wear.
2006-05-10 8:55 PM
in reply to: #420426

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario

awol - 2006-05-10 8:02 PM in a race or for training?

I was thinking specifically for a race, altough I am interested to see what people do regularly.  I am going to be doing a Sprint tri at the beginning of June and noticed on their website today that the water temp in the past has been 68-74.  I'm not going to be in the water for that long (500m) and I don't own a wetsuit, so its really a mute point.  But I did want to get an idea as to how chilled I might be.

2006-05-10 11:18 PM
in reply to: #420488

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
I don't think you quite understand...

The maximum temperature (and for some distance of swim) are what determines whether or not a person should wear a wetsuit (unless your an olympic level swimmer - but, that's another story).

It is not how cold the water... it is how warm the water.

You should always wear a wet suit unless the water is too warm...

The advantage of a wetsuit has more to do with efficiency of effort during the swim (which happens to also make for a faster swim)... and, has very little to do with how cold the water.

IF the wetsuit fits... wear it unless the water is too warm.

Now... to answer your question... IMO, 70-ish or warmer is usually OK for most during a 500m swim (assuming you can complete the swim in about 15 mins. or less).

Good Luck on your sprint...

FWIW Joe Moya
2006-05-15 9:35 AM

Boulder, CO
Are you going to be doing the Motor City Tri? I plan on entering the sprint as my first Tri!! I picked up a "wet-suit" top at REI this weekend. It's .5mm neoprene throughout the chest and back with lycra sleeves. I'll be wearing it to stay warm and help times, I plan on learning alot at my first event!!

Is anyone familiar with this kind of top?

Made by Mysterioso - I think it's more of a paddling top...

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalog...

2006-05-15 5:31 PM
in reply to: #423885

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
That's a body border/kayaking wetsuit top if memory is correct...

If you intention is to use that top for sprints triathlons ONLY... then, I think you may have wasted your money.

What do you plan to use for the bottoms? If the answer is nothing... but, will be wearing the top only... well, ...that's probably not a good idea... Here is why:

neoprene top will provide additional bouyance for the torso... this will result in a drop in the lower part of your body (i.e., hip and legs). This drop of your legs will add drag to your swimming position. More drag means more effort required and slower times. From an efficiency of effort standpoint, this will not be good.

From a standpoint of being warmer... hmmm... well, I an not sure that will be the case... since you'll probably be in the water longer as a result of the poor body swim position caused by the neoprene only top.

Trying to substitue a swim specific wetsuit with a not swim specific wetsuit seldom (if ever) works well enough to make it worth the wear of a non-tri specific wetsuit. Material difference and design makes non-swim specific wetsuits more a hindrence than a help.

If the triathlon requires a wetsuit... buy or rent a wetsuit that is specifically designed for swimming. If it is not required, you are probably better of not wearing a wetsuit.

All that being said,... maybe your new purchase of a wetsuit top might work... but, the only way you will know for sure is to try it out BEFORE you do the triathlon.

Good Luck...

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2006-05-15 5:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit water temperature. Rss Feed