of 2

2012-02-14 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4046709

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Running without socks?...

I think the Saucony Kinvara (simply an awesome shoe anyway) is pretty good for sockless runs.  There are few seams, I assume they are meant to be worn this way.

I had no problem going sockless for my sprints, never even eased into it.  I  think you know if you're blister prone or not - I am not, so I just went for it. I started in my Asics Nimbus.  I switched to the Kinvaras for my sprint/Oly runs this past summer, and found them to be comfortable.  HOWEVER, I do like socks better and do put them on for an Oly race now. I am not saying I haven't ever gotten a blister and very humid races can be worse.    But it's been more circumstantial and I don't think I could have necessarily prevented it.  If I had to apply body glide to make it work, I would rather socks. 

Just a note:  I put on the socks, and the shoes, while standing.  It's very fast   I have the socks ready to pull on.

--

Regarding bike shoes:  In my experience, "triathlon" cycling shoes are meant to be worn sockless.  They have a soft interior, usually just one strap, lots of vents.  I never wore socks in my tri cycling shoes, I ALWAYS wear socks in my "regular" bike shoes.   Well, okay except these cool sandals I bought this year for commuting.  But something marketed as a shoe for triathlon cycling should be good to go.

2012-02-14 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4045995

User image

When ordering specific shoes that are designed for no socks, do I need to order a different size (smaller) or the same because of no socks, hope this is not a dumb question, and don't say no dumb questions, just dumb people asking questions Wink
2012-02-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4046907

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

cobblers - 2012-02-14 11:40 AM When ordering specific shoes that are designed for no socks, do I need to order a different size (smaller) or the same because of no socks, hope this is not a dumb question, and don't say no dumb questions, just dumb people asking questions Wink

No expert here, but I just use the same size.  I don't mind (actually prefer) a loose shoe.

2012-02-14 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC

I got the Zoot Ultra Kalani's for Christmas. I have been wearing them sockless since I got them. The first two runs I had a little rubbing and put a band-aid on until the spot healed. No problems since. I am training for a marathon and have run up to 16 miles. The first run I did in them was 4 miles. I loved them right away. Very comfortable.

Only advise about the Zoots is that they seem to run a little small. Mine are half a size larger than I usually wear in running shoes. My BF wears Zoots too and he had to go up a half size too.

2012-02-14 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4046254

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
bgraboski - 2012-02-14 8:16 AM

Unless you are seconds from AG placing, put on your socks, your feet will thank you for it.   In fact, practice putting on your socks fast.  Roll socks all the way down and sprinkle inside with baby powder. 

IMHO, nothing says newbie like skipping socks to save 5 seconds and then running marathon pace in a sprint.

I never have worn socks for a sprint, even from my first race. Glad too!  I never considered myself someone who was EVER in contention, but my second year, i was racing clydesdale, and I took third place by 5 seconds!  Those 8 seconds mattered!! 

2012-02-14 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4047481

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
RookieIM - 2012-02-14 3:24 PM

Unless you are seconds from AG placing, put on your socks, your feet will thank you for it.   In fact, practice putting on your socks fast.  Roll socks all the way down and sprinkle inside with baby powder. 

IMHO, nothing says newbie like skipping socks to save 5 seconds and then running marathon pace in a sprint.

I never have worn socks for a sprint, even from my first race. Glad too!  I never considered myself someone who was EVER in contention, but my second year, i was racing clydesdale, and I took third place by 5 seconds!  Those 8 seconds mattered!! 

I agree completely - all seconds matter.  I am generally not in contention for anything, but last summer I raced a sprint as clydesdale and missed 3rd place by 11 seconds and 2nd place by 18 seconds (I would have had to stay on my bike for the run portion to get 1st).

2012-02-14 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4047521

User image

Master
Charlotte
Hook'em - 2012-02-14 4:45 PM

I agree completely - all seconds matter.  I am generally not in contention for anything, but last summer I raced a sprint as clydesdale and missed 3rd place by 11 seconds and 2nd place by 18 seconds (I would have had to stay on my bike for the run portion to get 1st).

All seconds do matter BUT are gaining any time if you get hot spots or blisters? I am betting a blister would slow you down more than the time to put the socks on.  Now if you can run through the pain w/o missing a beat, that is another story.  For me, if I get a blister in a race, that is the only damn thing I think about for x miles and I am sure I lose some time. 

2012-02-14 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
For anyone who is interested the Zoot Ultra Kane running shoe is now on bonktown.com for $72.99 (56% off) for the next 25 minutes. HURRY!!!!

Edited by JasenGuy 2012-02-14 4:11 PM
2012-02-14 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4047570

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
bgraboski - 2012-02-14 5:02 PM

All seconds do matter BUT are gaining any time if you get hot spots or blisters? I am betting a blister would slow you down more than the time to put the socks on.  Now if you can run through the pain w/o missing a beat, that is another story.  For me, if I get a blister in a race, that is the only damn thing I think about for x miles and I am sure I lose some time. 

I think this should fall under the category of never try anything new on race day.  If you've done it enough in training that you know you don't get blisters or hot spots, then you're good to go.  If you haven't done it in training (including during some swim/bike and bike/run bricks to make sure it's not an issue with very wet and sweaty feet), then it's probably not a good idea to try it come race day.

2012-02-14 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4046912

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
When I bought my Zoot Ultra Kanes, I ordered a few sizes online from Zappos and snet back the ones that didn't fit. Zappos paid shipping both ways. I would have preferred to go to a local shop and have them measure my foot, try on a few sizes, and just buy the one that fits, but since I live overseas I didn't have that luxury.
2012-02-15 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4047639

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
TriMyBest - 2012-02-14 4:31 PM
bgraboski - 2012-02-14 5:02 PM

I think this should fall under the category of never try anything new on race day.  If you've done it enough in training that you know you don't get blisters or hot spots, then you're good to go.  If you haven't done it in training (including during some swim/bike and bike/run bricks to make sure it's not an issue with very wet and sweaty feet), then it's probably not a good idea to try it come race day.

That's right.  I had no idea if I could run without socks, so I practiced for a while.  Starting small  - a couple miles running & some time on the bike trainer.  Eventually, I increased enough to feel comfortable without socks on sprint distances.  I have not tried longer distances and would not try an olympic distance without gaining a comfort level while training.

If I couldn't handle it without hot spots or blisters I wouldn't dare do it during a race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running without socks?... Rss Feed  

of 2