General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is only doing brick workouts bad for training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-14 4:00 PM

Subject: Is only doing brick workouts bad for training?
Its not that I really like them, its just a lack of time. With work and kids I don't have much time in the afternoons and evenings to train during the week. So I end up doing my workouts in the morning before work. This generally means a combination of swimming, biking, and running back-to-back. I have read that brick workouts do not offer as much benefit, compared to if I did one in the morning and a different workout in the evening. So I wanted to get feedback if only doing these brick type workouts are hurting my overall racing fitness?

Also I am sure everyone on this forum is busy and has many obligations. How do others deal with family, work, and still train properly?

2012-02-14 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4047567

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Is only doing brick workouts bad for training?
I train 6 days a week generally and my only "brick" is sometimes on Saturday when I swim and bike.  I only do shorter distances though.  HIM or IM training would drive me to more frequent mulitple workout days I am sure. 
2012-02-14 4:42 PM

User image

Pro
I've been doing swim/run back to back all the time this winter. I'll swim, change, eat a bar or banana, and run on the treadmill. The only benefit I'm looking for is family time. I'm assuming that as long as I'm hitting the metrics for whatever is supposed to be done that day, there is no physical downside.
2012-02-14 5:28 PM

User image

New user
For a while after I first started training all the workouts I did were bricks. I didn't understand that the two a days were supposed to be done separately! I noticed no negative effect, maybe it even helped. I didn't do each session with high intensity though. It seemed to work well for me without wearing me down because the intensity want to crazy. For what it's worth, I think you'll be fine!
2012-02-14 5:44 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

I never train more than once in a day. Two separate workouts in a day just ain't happening. So they're typically S/B & run combos. Folks can debate whether this is the optimal way to train given unlimited time etc., but since most of us don't have unlimited time, the point is moot. 

Time management is an interesting aspect of age-group triathlon training. Threads like this pop up periodically here, and I'm in awe of how some BTers manage to fit intense training plans around their hectic lives. I draw the line at getting up at 4:30 every day to train, but some folks here aren't fazed by that.

Edited by colinphillips 2012-02-14 5:47 PM
2012-02-14 5:55 PM

User image

Veteran
I do lots of bricks, unless they are LONG runs or rides. With work and family things I just need to get workouts in when I can. I see no neg. effect from this either

2012-02-14 7:18 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN

as long as you are not injury prone, then it probably is not bad.  However you could push each workout harder and get more out of the workouts, if they were separate , with rest in between. 

That being said.  Me and a lot of people do bricks because of timing in their days.

2012-02-14 7:41 PM

I am very fortunate to have an informal coaching relationship with a sub-10 hour IM triathlete who graciously shared his training routine with me. A typical week for him involves S/R bricks Monday thru Friday mornings with bike after work, Fridays off, a full S/B/R every Saturday morning, and B/R bricks on Sunday (he also does strength training 4x/wk). Given that he's taken over 2 hours off his IM time over the past 3 years I'd say it's not a problem. I have since added multiple bricks into my schedule and like the gains I'm seeing...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is only doing brick workouts bad for training? Rss Feed