General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 75% sure dropping out of Half-Ironman in April; help convince me to pull the trigger Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-02-15 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4048530

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: 75% sure dropping out of Half-Ironman in April; help convince me to pull the trigger
RookieIM - 2012-02-15 9:22 AM
GoFaster - 2012-02-15 8:33 AM

I'll give you a different advice from the other posters - I don't think you should do it.

I personally don't care to do things half assed, especially something like an HIM. I've done two, been prepared twice, and suffered both times on the run (if you can call it that).  If I was in your current situation, and I was facing a long day of misery, I would seriously question why I was doing it.

Yes you will lose money, but that's about it.  When you're ready, when you've had the time to train properly and stay motivated, etc., then sign up for another one.  If the only reason to do the race is so you can say you did an HIM, then I personally think it's the wrong reason to do one at this point in time.

Part of an HIM is "racing" part of it is the experience - and it sounds like the experience would not be pleasant.  So I suggest you pass on this one, and enjoy the shorter distances till you're ready trained to tackle this race.

With all due respect to the poster of this I couldn't disagree more.  Again, this is BEGINNER triathlete.  Most of the people here are doing races to say they did them. I did my first HIM so I could say I did it. I did my first Ironman so I could say I did it. I'm not placing, i'm not even close to competing. I would venture a guess that most of the people on this site are doing these races to get to that finish line and accomplish a goal. Clearly by your handle you're about speed.  That's great.  Not everyone can push themselves as hard as they can for 5-8 hours. 

It sounds like your goal is to complete a HIM.  Go out there and do it.  To contrast what he said, I've also done two HIM's and was prepared both times and did not suffer on the run. I paced myself, kept my HR in check and enjoyed the entire day.  I'd stick with the majority here and go for it!

I couldn't agree more - this is Beginner Triathlete.  Again, my personal opinion, but too many people make the jump to HIM or IM and would be better off taking longer to build some base, focus on shorter events, and learn what and how their bodies and lives adapt to Tri training.  People want to go long early on, that's absolutley their choice, but from personal experience there are better ways to do it.

Part of BT is to be encouraging, part of it is to offer differing opinions and advice.  I gave mine.  She can choose to listen to the encourgement, which in a lot of cases is the right thing to do, or she can further assess and decide if she's really ready for this distance.

2012-02-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4048160

User image

Toronto-ish
Subject: RE: 75% sure dropping out of Half-Ironman in April; help convince me to pull the trigger

OP, to answer your question it all depends on what your goals are (unless you are or will be injured by this adventure, then all bets are off the table).

Did you sign up for this race expecting it to:

-be easy?

-be non-challenging?

-guaranteed finish?

-not learn anything about tri's, racing or yourself?

-not have fun?

-not take pride in the accomplishments of what it took to make it to the starting line?

-not have a better idea of how to adjust training, nutrition, planning, scheduling for future endeavors?

-never wonder what you have in you when stretching your limits?

I'm going to guess the answers to those questions will point you in a direction you are most comfortable with. Whether you participate or not you will learn something about yourself, and YOU get to determine what that will be. If you can project yourself to the day after the race and say with confidence, "I'm glad I chose to do X", then that is likely the right choice for you.

What's the worst that can happen if you start the race? You don't finish? As many have mentioned in their own way, the difference between doing 1% of the course and 0% ... is infinite.

2012-02-15 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
If anything, I would consider dropping one or both of the half-marathons. "Plod" doesn't exactly sound like you are excited about them.
2012-02-15 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4048811

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

Directed to GOFaster, That wasn't your argument though. Your argument was that there's no point in doing a race just to say you did it. But that's why most of us do it. Most of the people here are not going to place.  More than likely she is ready for the distance. She had one bad ride, and you were encouraging her to quit.

You just don't agree with her motivation, which is the same motivation that drives most of us.  Complete a goal, live a healthy lifestyle.  Almost anyone can do a Half IM if you train properly, which she seems to be doing. She just had a rough period, which almost everyone goes through during training.  Pushing through those times is what makes the accomplishment that much more of an accomplishment. Like someone else said, if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

Edited by RookieIM 2012-02-15 10:27 AM
2012-02-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4048849

User image

RookieIM - 2012-02-15 5:26 AM

Directed to GOFaster, That wasn't your argument though. Your argument was that there's no point in doing a race just to say you did it. But that's why most of us do it. Most of the people here are not going to place.  More than likely she is ready for the distance. She had one bad ride, and you were encouraging her to quit.

You just don't agree with her motivation, which is the same motivation that drives most of us.  Complete a goal, live a healthy lifestyle.  Almost anyone can do a Half IM if you train properly, which she seems to be doing. She just had a rough period, which almost everyone goes through during training.  Pushing through those times is what makes the accomplishment that much more of an accomplishment. Like someone else said, if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

Neil didn't say that...he said that was HIS perspective on why he should or should not race, and shared that perspective with the OP to give her an alternative perspective to what was being posted otherwise.  He did not claim that his perspective/opinion is the truth for everyone...just simply stating that what brings enjoyment for some people, does not bring enjoyment for everyone.

Frankly...this isn't your argument either.  Congrats on finishing your HIM and IM, but what makes you happy to finish races isn't what makes everyone else happy.  You're no more right than Neil is.

This is the OP's decision.  She will be the one who goes through the experience, and she will be the one who decides whether or not it is satisfying to her.

My advice to the OP is to simply take some time to evaluate the situation.  Try to understand why YOU have decided to race, and determine if actually doing the race will satisfy those reasons.  I also agree that one workout, or one bad week is not something you should base your decision on.  Best of luck in your decision.

2012-02-15 11:28 AM

Houston

Thanks for the advice.  Its all good and it mirrors a lot of what is going on in my head.  I tend to over think things. 

I appreciate it a lot.  I know I seem negative, but I'm trying to rectify that. Its a lifelong process.

2012-02-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4048552

Houston

KSH - 2012-02-15 8:34 AM As it was stated before... everyone has doubts before their first HIM and IM. EVERYONE. There comes a point where you are terrified and thinking, "I can't do this... what was I thinking?" More than likely your poor bike was due to nutrition. You should aim for around 250 calories an hour. I would suggest you look into liquid nutrition, if your stomach doesn't like you running with a belly full of food. Liquid nutrition can be Heed, etc. You can also do gels. If you like solid food (I know I do)... then start with solids, and switch to liquid nutrition your last hour on the bike. Looking at your logs, I don't think your training is horrible. February's totals: Bike: 6h 46m 05s - 93.74 Mi Run: 3h 48m 13s - 18.1 Mi Swim: 2h 10m 32s - 5470.1 Yd January's totals: Bike: 10h 59m 14s - 144.06 Mi Run: 12h 58m 42s - 59.67 Mi Swim: 4h 31m 36s - 9250 Yd Your run was where it needed to be last month. Your biking miles were low, but with 11 hours in the saddle, it's really not too bad. Your swim is OK. Based on your training you will be able to finish the HIM. You may need to dig deep for the last few miles on the run... but you can do it. I would suggest that you start swimming more (do swims up to 3,000-4,000 yards/meters and swim at least 2 times a week), and riding more (3-4 times a week, with a long ride of 50-70 miles on the weekend). Your run seems to be OK. With 6 weeks to go... and a two week taper... you have 4 weeks to get it done. Good luck!

Thanks I do have to swim and bike more.  I'll shoot for 3 to 4 times on each. I appreciate your advice.  Its what I need to hear.

2012-02-15 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4048848

Houston

summer_2005 - 2012-02-15 10:25 AM If anything, I would consider dropping one or both of the half-marathons. "Plod" doesn't exactly sound like you are excited about them.

Oh I am excited about them.  I can't wait for the Austin Half which is this weekend.  But see, I'm not nervous about them because I've already completed a few.  I know I can do it.

2012-02-15 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4048523

New user

Scout7 - 2012-02-15 8:19 AM I will start by saying that I have no real idea whether you should do the race or not. I will also tell you that I am not a rah-rah kind of person. So with that being said, I wanted to highlight some things that I've noticed. Firstly, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) who has trained for a long distance event has had those days where you begin to question everything; what you're doing, why you're doing it, if it is even possible to get to the start, much less to the finish. It happens. Acknowledge the fact that you're in a down period right now, things kinda suck, but that this period does not dictate future performance. As a wise man once said: "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." Secondly, I noticed a lot of negative self talk in your posts. You keep referring to yourself as "slow" and other terms with negative connotations. You need to stop that, especially the "slow" part. Everyone's "slow" is someone else's "fast". Let me put it another way: You are not slow. You have a lot of untapped potential at the moment. And that's perfectly alright; everyone starts somewhere. These two things are feeding each other in a vicious little spiral. You think you're slow, you have a bad workout, it confirms and strengthens your negative view, which leads to more bad workouts, and so on and so forth. I know from personal experience how hard it is to break out of those nasty little shame spirals, but it CAN be done. And you WILL do it. So, after all that talk, here's my advice: 1) Don't be so quick to quit the race. As long as you're not facing physical injury from doing the race, and you are realistic about how you will (which you seem to be), then I see nothing wrong with doing it. 2) Do not be afraid of making mistakes or having bad days, especially in training. They happen. The worst thing you can do when they happen is to wallow in self-loathing, convince yourself it's not worth it, and give in. The best thing you can do is treat it as a learning opportunity. Try some different nutritional strategies. Be realistic and critical about the impact of all the various factors (your stress, the weather, the course, your nutrition, etc.). Nothing happens in a bubble. 3) Never ever EVER use the word "slow" to describe yourself, your training, or your racing. It's negative, it serves no positive purpose, and does nothing but limit you mentally. The same thing goes with other negative words. Don't hold yourself back or pigeonhole yourself by using negative words to describe your current state. 4) Relax. Breathe. Stay the course, trust in your body and your training, and realize that there are a bunch of potential people here at this site who will be pulling for you to succeed, however you want to define success. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Great Advice... Awesome post.

2012-02-15 11:47 AM

Veteran

I would have to ask what do you expect to get out of it? 

IMO i wouldnt worry about the money. To me it is about the experience! If you are not going to enjoy it (even though you KNOW you are going to suffer) why bother? This should be fun and exciting with a little pain thrown in.

You are not the most prepared and you are not the least prepared but you are prepared enough to finish if you want. So back the the original question of what do you want and why?

2012-02-15 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Only three things to worry about IMO.

1. Can you safely handle the swim.

2. Will the bike or run cause long term injury that will make future training more difficult. Sounds like you think you can run/walk the HM so it doesn't sound like this is a problem.

3. Will a DNF be damaging to your psyche? For me a DNS in a race I already paid for and planned on doing would be more damaging to my psyche than a DNF. But I also know I could bounce back from a DNF and do better next time, it would motivate me to train more for the next one. If that is the case for you then go for it. If a DNF is going to demoralize you to the point that you don't want to do another tri, then I would DNS. Only you can know the answer to this one.

Good luck with your decision. I went into my last HIM with bad bike training and a problematic sciatic nerve. The run was an absolute suffer fest but at the end and today I am still glad I did it. I would have felt worse about a DNS or DNF than the pain of that run.

2012-02-15 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4049069

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

By the way, assuming you're going ahead, I have two pieces of advice:

1.  Go back to your plan and stick to it. I think swimming 3-4 times a week, at this point is excessive, but I am not a coach... the bike is the hardest part of the event and the run is second. I am a TERRIBLE swimmer and I feel this is true.    Anyway, did you have a plan?  If not, find one and jump in and DO IT.

2.  Do a search here on HIM Nutrition.   I personally went with 200 cals/hour on the run and 300 cals/hour on the the bike. I am about your size, based on the weight you put in your log (not fat, by the way).  But generally you need to eat more so you feel like you can do that run off the bike.  It IS possible.   But do a search here on the topic to get different ideas and then make a plan and practice it.

Good luck!

2012-02-15 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4048991

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4048991

Runner
fattrigirl - 2012-02-15 12:28 PM

I know I seem negative, but I'm trying to rectify that. Its a lifelong process.

You are absolutely correct, it is indeed a lifelong process. I know this all too well, and I'm willing to bet cash money that there's a good number of others here who know it, too.

But, I think that working through this race puts you on a good path, a little closer to that goal. Whether you race it or not isn't as important as being satisfied with the decision.
2012-02-15 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4048530

NC

RookieIM - 2012-02-15 9:22 AM Again, this is BEGINNER triathlete. 

Enough of this already.  There is nothing about this site, or the atmosphere it encourages, that mandates all advice be the same.  If the OP seeks opinions, the OP is going to get opinions.  Shockingly, sometimes they may differ - on BEGINNER triathlete.

Edited by Goosedog 2012-02-15 12:31 PM
2012-02-15 12:38 PM

Pro
Bellingham, WA

OP, you sound just like my wife with one notable exception.  You are far better trained at this point than she is for her first HIM in June.  If you are comfortable getting through the swim, you know you can ride the distance.  Running most of the 13 might be a tall order but it is for many, many people and there is no shame in walking as much of it as you feel you need to.

You will need to start practicing (as others have mentioned) a hydration/nutrition plan.  Start simple with some gel on your longer run or ride.  Search back through other threads for info on different nutrition ideas.  There is a lot of information out there.  I'm a fan of Hammer products and their website has a look of information to think about. 

2012-02-15 10:13 PM

Houston
Thanks all.  I've decided to try to finish and not quit.  I jogged 3 miles today with no problems.  It is nice how the shorter workouts get easier.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 75% sure dropping out of Half-Ironman in April; help convince me to pull the trigger Rss Feed  

of 2