General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero position feedback requested Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-15 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Subject: Aero position feedback requested

Just got a new P3!! I've only adjusted the seat, I feel comfortable, but would welcome any feedback. Please take a look at the clip I've posted on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsUwJxs6wls

Thanks!

2012-02-15 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4049364

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
Subject: RE: Aero position feedback requested

It looks pretty good. 

Are you pushed pretty far forward? That seat looks like it's pushed all the way up.

congrats on the new bik

2012-02-15 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Looks great frankly.

2012-02-15 2:28 PM

I am not an expert or professional, but have been riding for a long time, so take it for what it is worth.

Your position is excellent from the standpoint of the angles of anatomy, but it seems to me like you are pretty far forward over the bottom bracket. If you are comfortable there, then no worries. To me it almost looks like you are positioned that far forward to solve a cockpit issue.  Is the bike too long for you with the stem length that you have on there?  This would not be uncommon as it is easier to move the seat forward than to swap stems or go to a shorter reach bike. 

Again, I am not an expert, but if you position your seat where it feels best in an aero position with your pelvis rotated forward, without taking into account your contact points on the bars, is this where you would have it?

Edited by nickwisconsin 2012-02-15 2:30 PM
2012-02-15 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. 

So when I started this crazy tri-thing in July of last year, I bought my neighbor's old road bike that had clip-on aero bars and a forward seat post...so in an effort to have better "tri-geometry," I forced myself to get used to riding at the very front of the saddle...so now that I've got a real tri bike, my habit must be following me!

In my 2 rides, I have found myself getting close to having my knees hit my elbows, so perhaps I'll move back an inch or so and see how that works.

Thanks again and I'm open to anything else!

2012-02-15 3:18 PM

User image

Regular

Also not an expert at all!

Your position looks pretty good to me too. Except your heels seem to be very high. This may cause fatigue in the calfs after a while.

2012-02-15 4:09 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It looks really good. Have you spent much time riding in that position out doors or just on the trainer? Out doors is really where you will be able to tell if you can hold that position comfortably over the distances you race.
2012-02-15 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Should have mentioned my rides are mostly outdoors. I'm fortunate to live in So Cal, so weather is not much of an issue. I've done just 2 rides thus far as I picked up the bike 4 days ago...both rather short, about 25 miles each at a good pace, about 20-21 avg on some rolling terrain. (I'm supposed to be training in Zone 2 now, but I ended up w a Zone 3 average this morning....new bike excitement I guess! I'll do a 2 hour ride this Sunday and a 3 hour ride the following Sunday; perhaps that will give me a better read on my current position.
2012-02-15 6:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

From looking at that short clip, your position looks decent. The only concern I'd have is that it looks like your seat is tilted down, but it's hard to see on the video so I could be wrong. And that saddle tilt would also be another factor that would make you slide forward excessively. If your saddle is tilted down, you you really gotta level it out or get it very close to level. Getting the top of the sitting surface to within about 2 deg. of level would a good target. Make sure you take the bike off the trainer and level it before you level the saddle.

PS. with a killer bike like that, you really ought to upgrade that bento box, we suggest one of theseWink

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2012-02-15 6:16 PM
2012-02-16 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine

Thanks....good suggestion. I just leveled the saddle out and did a ride, did feel better and did not feel like I was sliding forward at all. I also put on my "new" (2009 via Craigslist) Tubular Zipp 404s for my ride...boy did they feel fast! At least I'm sure I looked fast!

Funny comment on the bento box as I'm not happy with it at all...and am returning it today. I'll check out your suggestion!

Thanks for all of the feedback!!

2012-02-16 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4051345

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Regarding the saddle thing.  You probably know this, but 'level' is usually defined by the saddle rails, not necessarily the contour of the seat.  Since I can't see your seat I just wanted to make sure to throw that out there.

2012-02-16 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4051419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Regarding the saddle thing.  You probably know this, but 'level' is usually defined by the saddle rails, not necessarily the contour of the seat.  Since I can't see your seat I just wanted to make sure to throw that out there.

Unfortunately, this is not correct. It is the sitting surface (or the average of the sitting surface) that matters. The angle of the saddle rails does not matter at all. Often, the saddle rails won't be level even when the saddle is set up properly and the sitting surface is level or very close to level.

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2012-02-16 3:24 PM
2012-02-16 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4051435

Master
Northern IL
DarkSpeedWorks - 2012-02-16 3:19 PM

Unfortunately, this is not correct. It is the sitting surface (or the average of the sitting surface) that matters. The angle of the saddle rails does not matter at all. Often, they won't be level even when the saddle is set up properly.

What seat are we talking about? An Adamo will use the rails to define "level", but (most) all others will use the sitting surface. I put "most" even though all others I know of do use seat surface, but there could be some other exception with the new designs available.

And yes, the DarkSpeedWorks box would be very nice. I've liked it much more than anything else I've used or seen.

This is likely minor, but anyone else noticing the tail of the helmet sticking up? Or at least lifting off the back. Is there another helmet that would curve around more making a better match with his profile?

Edited by brigby1 2012-02-16 3:30 PM
2012-02-16 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4051435

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
DarkSpeedWorks - 2012-02-16 3:19 PM

Unfortunately, this is not correct. It is the sitting surface (or the average of the sitting surface) that matters. The angle of the saddle rails does not matter at all. Often, the saddle rails won't be level even when the saddle is set up properly and the sitting surface is level or very close to level.

Well, rails are better than the 'average' seating surface.  Most road saddles have a big flare at the back to help hold your butt on when sliding back to perform seated climbing.  That flare must be taken out of the equation when trying to level a saddle.  If you just lay a straight edge over that saddle you would be nose up.

if it's a flat-contour saddle like most of the tri-specific saddles seem to be these days, then you'd be right.

2012-02-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4051525

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

To follow up, other than a few unusual saddles like the adamo, for easily 99% of standard road and tri bike saddles, the seating surface (even if it is slightly curved) is what you reference for seat angle. If the tail of saddle is highly curved up (but only a few saddles have this), you can compensate by tilting the saddle down by just a few degrees (rarely more than ~2 deg.)

In any case, it looks like the OP is using a fizik arione which is nearly flat. So on that saddle and most others, the best way to judge the saddle angle is to just put a yard stick on the top of the saddle and step away from the bike and look. It will be easy to see if the seat is tilted up or down.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero position feedback requested Rss Feed