General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does running just plain hurt? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-12 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Subject: Does running just plain hurt?
I have been running for about 20 years in one fashion or another (soccer, track, etc.). I can't remember ever having pain in my knees until I started training for triathlons. Maybe this is due to my concentration on short distance running/sprinting (less than 2 miles) prior to "tri-ing". Maybe it's just plain age ( I turn 31 on 5/28). My weight is descent at 158lbs and I average sub 8min / miles most of the time.

I read an interesting statistic recently that stated 80% of athletes train and perform with significant pain in their joints (knees, ankles, elbows etc). Do we all fall into this stat?

So my question to fellow BT'ers........do you feel pain in your knees/ankles during or after running? Is this just a part of "running" that I need to accept?

2006-05-12 5:32 PM
in reply to: #422510

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Does running just plain hurt?
No to both questions. I only had the beginnings of pain, in one hip, before I saw a trainer who helped me with stretching and stability. I don't think you should "accept" it, but need to investigate the cause and remedy it.

There was something on here recently about how even improper BIKE fit can cause knee pain while running. Go figure! But it's worth figuring out.

2006-05-12 5:41 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Do you feel the knee pain on the bike too?

I just wonder... because you said the knee pain didn't pop up until you started training for tri's... and a bike that is not fitted properly can cause knee pain.

2006-05-12 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
No knee joint pain on the bike, but that is a good thought. I was fit by a very reputable LBS (Bikesport Michigan) when I purchased my bike from them (FIST method). My bike position is very comfortable through 1hour of riding. I just have not trained for anything above 1 hour yet.

The knee pain is not severe, just dull ache the next day after long runs (>3 miles). I stretch for about 5-10min before running or biking.

I have been thinking about trying a new pair of running shoes. I currently have new balance 718's. I have heard of people buying those custom shoes but I can't seem to cough up $200 for shoes.
2006-05-12 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana
Just had a thread similar to this that I posted on 5/10 regarding my incorrect running technique. I too was having knee pain... saw a physical therapist who watched my stride and saw right away why I had knee pain. ( I was striking on my heel with an almost straight leg)

So, your pain could also be from improper running technique...I have read tons about shoes causing this sometimes and vice/versa.

Chi Running as well as Evolution Running (both books) were recommended to me.

Anywhoo...you may want to find that thread under tri-talk. It was very helpful for me.
Good luck with that.

Edited by willow 2006-05-12 6:20 PM
2006-05-12 6:26 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
no on both accounts.

do you run on roads/pavement/concrete a lot?

if you can at all try running on dirt.

your background (soccer, track) insinuates that you didn't run on hard surfaces. you shouldn't now, if you can help it.

2006-05-12 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
you shouldn't run through pain too long. pain means something is wrong. occasionally i get pain in knees or anckles or shins or hamstring or foot. if i feel it for a few runs consistently, i take it as a sign of an injury coming on and take a few days off from running and just bike and swim, that's the beauty of tris! or some times i just need to change my shoes.
2006-05-12 8:23 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I agree with everyone else that it is not "normal" to have pain, but it is very common. My aches and pains tend to rotate around my body, changing as I experiement/improve form, wear down shoes, ignore or improve my strength training, get different amounts of sleep, etc, etc.

Overall, I am getting better, stronger, and more pain free with each passing week. I have had some help from friends, coaches, massage therapists & a chiropracter helping me improve all this stuff. Interestingly, as a physician, there is not much in my own aresenal that I have to improve myself...it is all the ancillary fields that specialize in how the body moves that help.

So your first step may be to see a sports medicine doctor to get an accurate diagnosis of the origin of your pain, but the solution will likely be a combination of various fields.

PS 31 is not "OLD"!!!
2006-05-12 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I have been running for 20+ years as well but in the last year as I upped my mileage and did longer distance races like half and full marathons, I have actually been experiencing less and less aches and pains to the point where I now run 100+ miles a month and I have no pain at all, anywhere. I definiely am not blessed with great biomechanics, or a runner's body. Almost like the body has finally adapted to the rigors. In the first 6 months of my tri training I did have significant issues, like the body was protesting the added load. Running is a funny business.
2006-05-12 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
As a mechanical engineer, I agree with the bio-mechanics issues related to poor form. I have concentrated recently on increasing cadence and striking on the mid-sole (not the heal). A couple of pictures from last year's races show me planting firmly on my heal during the run, thus the change. I have read that long strides and heal planting combined provide the "worst case" for joint strain.

Also, I have a tendency not to build up to longer runs at the beginning of the season. Rule of thumb states not to increase distances more than 10%-20% per week. I jump around between 2mile, 3mile and 4mile runs. I think I may need to create a regimented distance building plan and stick to it. I also like the idea of working with a coach.

2006-05-12 9:29 PM

Have you gotten a gait analysis at a running store? The right pair of shoes will make a difference if you have running issues. I'm an overpronator with flat feet, and the shoes are key for me.

2006-05-12 11:03 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois

I run pain free. I run barefoot in the grass. People give me second looks and tell me I am going to hurt myself but I say to myself. I'm pain free. I am 38 have arthritis in my knees and flat footed. I suffer zero injuries except the occasional splinter. 

2006-05-13 6:06 AM
in reply to: #422653

Expert
Fort Bragg
I'm your age and haven't had knee pain until last year. I had the same problem with long strides. I decreased my stride and moved my hips forward and the pain went away. I also stretch a lot more now and did a light weight program to strengthen my knees.

My biggest problem has been plantar fasicitis. I've had it twice. Each time I was able to work through it with therapy. The second time I learned to stretch more. I think being a little older has helped me realize that I need to do things like stretch, rest, east better, etc.

Steve

rfergus5 - 2006-05-12 10:09 PM

As a mechanical engineer, I agree with the bio-mechanics issues related to poor form. I have concentrated recently on increasing cadence and striking on the mid-sole (not the heal). A couple of pictures from last year's races show me planting firmly on my heal during the run, thus the change. I have read that long strides and heal planting combined provide the "worst case" for joint strain.

Also, I have a tendency not to build up to longer runs at the beginning of the season. Rule of thumb states not to increase distances more than 10%-20% per week. I jump around between 2mile, 3mile and 4mile runs. I think I may need to create a regimented distance building plan and stick to it. I also like the idea of working with a coach.

2006-05-13 6:27 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

I get occasional knee pain. Mostly I can atribute it to form. My early knee pain came from an improper cleat placement on my cycling shoes. A 2 mm adjustment did the trick.

As for running, I have adapted to a chi style run. Bringing my hips forward and keeping my knees back has helped. I also focus on using my abs to propel me forward.

I do recomend going to a GOOD running store and get your gait analized. That has helped because I did not start with the wrong footwear.

Good luck

2006-05-13 8:21 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I never ran before last summer.  I was lucky and read about proper form on this site before my distances got up over 2 miles per run.  I have built slowly and steadily using a few keys.  My long runs now are 10-12 miles with NO PAIN.  Just muscle soreness, of course.

1.  Do forum searches here and read everything you can from Ken Mierke and Mike Ricci about running form.

2.  Shorten your stride.

3.  Increase your cadence.

4.  Strike mid or fore foot only.

5.  Stay off of trampolines.

My one injury is pulling my Achilles by horsing around on the trampoline with my kids three months ago.  Still aches like a son of a gun sometimes, but I think it's a credit to good running form that once it warms up it never hurts while I'm running and is slowly getting better, even though I am continuing to run.  BTW, I'm 38 and weigh 185 lbs.  It ain't your age or your weight.

2006-05-13 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Sounds like this is not something that I should just accept.

Thanks to all !!!!

2006-05-13 3:21 PM

User image

Master
The injury that keeps me from running is not what you describe, but achy joints and running kind of go together. The swimming and biking minimize the achiness, which is much greater when I am only running. Weights help as well, including that thing where you put your back against a wall and put your legs and body as if sitting in a chair. I had fewer aches and pains when I shortened my stride and increase my cadence.
2006-05-13 4:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
When I do runs over 10 miles, my knees are sore the next day.
2006-05-13 6:52 PM
in reply to: #422969

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
You should never just accept pain (unless you are into that kind of stuff ... you know ... THAT stuff). There is either a form issue with your running, or if you have clipless than your pedal cleats are out of the position they need to be.

Plus, if you have increased you training distances it can take time for form issues to show up. Running 2 miles with not the best form will not put as much strain on your body as 6 miles with that same form.
2006-05-15 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Utah
I use to have more pain when I was running 6 days a week, high mileage each week. That kind of ended with a stress fracture in my leg. Cross training has helped me a lot. When I was having some knee pain my doctor talked with me about my routes I run, sometimes when you run the same route each day with the slant of the road it puts stress on one side of your body. He suggested that I switch off on the sides of the road I ran on so that it evened out the stress I felt on my knee.
2006-05-15 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Reading through all these comments, the universal recommendation is that pain is not normal and shouldn't be accepted as "part of it". I agree. However, I'm always amazed when I read through race reports and training logs and see what sort of injuries/chronic issues that people seem to be training and racing through. I'm not in any way advocating you accepting recurring pain, just pointing out that there seem to be a lot of folks who don't do it that way. Or, probably more likely, they probably know what they SHOULD do, but are too driven and determined to take the time off to recover, rehab, etc. Just a comment...

-Matt

2006-05-15 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

When is the last time you were fitted for new shoes?  How long have you been wearing your current New Balance shoes and that model?  How many miles?  Are you a neutral, over, or underpronator?  The most common running 'pain' comes from improperly fitting shoes.  I suggest going to your local running store and having them watch you run to 'fit' you for new shoes.  

'Aches' are normal and a part of any training program, pain is not. 

2006-05-15 1:40 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
OK, everyone is sick of hearing it, but since I started using the ChiRunning techniques, running has been much less painful. I'll post the Amazon.com link later on. It teaches low impact running and has now made running much less painful for me, my wife, and my long-time runing friend at work. I would suggest giving it a look.
2006-05-15 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I actually have bone malformations in both ankles and have suffered from Juvenille arthritis since I was ~12 years old. I can't do explosive running like soccer or softball anymore, and even long runs I have some degree of pain. I always love to watch people who can really run and see them glide so smoothly and think to myself, "I wonder what it would be like to run without pain..." Oh well I think I'd rather be clunky and in pain than the next option which someday will probably be fusing of the ankle... But at least I can ride without pain....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does running just plain hurt? Rss Feed