General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone use the Maffetone method for training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-08 11:16 PM

Regular
Lancaster Pa
Subject: Does anyone use the Maffetone method for training?
I was just wondering if anyone uses the Maffetone method of training and what their results were. I'd be interested to hear anyone's comments on the subject!

2004-06-09 12:14 AM
in reply to: #30165

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Does anyone use the Maffetone method for training?
I don't use it specifically for training, but for overall health it's great.
The general philosophy is training in your "aerobic zone" most of the time. You can build up so that you are running or biking very fast at a low heart rate. To me it's the only way to exercise. Less injuries, more energy after working out, burn more body fat.
You can't argue with some of Maffetone's students like Mark Allen and Mike Pigg. Just a few Ironman championships there!

Kevin
2004-06-09 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
England

I just started using his exact method (eg 180-age +/-....) but have used a similar programme for 6 months with great success. I have been spending all my training time at a low HR and have seen massive improvements in my base endurance, no injuries, some weight loss and a good overall increase in fitness, but not speed. (When I say not speed, I mean I CAN run/bike faster for any given HR than I used to be able to, but it is not developing race pace yet)

I have previously been training in the HR zone 135-151 versus the Maff zone max aerobic HR of 146 for me. Recently I have started to use the slightly lower Maff figures and have continued to build base endurance. I have yet to start any of his anaerobic training sessions as this is my first tri training season and base building is my goal. The downside is that speed is definitely not yet with me - I can easily do the distances now, but you'll still find me near the back of the pack! I don't worry too much as this is the start of a longer term commitment and I need the foundations built strongly before I try and build on top. That said, I can maintain the same steady pace for a long time at a low HR and recover fast, so I see that as a big positive.

I went out last weekend with my local tri club for a brick session (23km bike/10km run) which was the longest single session I've done. I was dropped from the pack very quickly but easily finished the distances and felt strong all the way. I know when I start intervals and hills regularly that the speed will increase.

Hope that helps but I am a relative beginner so this may not fit your needs?

Edited by Bigpikle 2004-06-09 10:01 AM
2004-06-10 5:23 AM
in reply to: #30241

Regular
Lancaster Pa
I just started too, so any advice you can give is very helpful. I can do the distances easily also and it feels good not to kill myself trying to train anaerobically all the time. I'm just not sure I'm training at the right heart rate. I'm 29 and I've been training between 141 and 151 mostly I stay right around 146. I, unfortunately haven't seen enough material on the subject and I am still reading! If you know of any great web sites or books let me know please! Thanks for all the help! :-)
2004-06-10 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Sorry to be uninformed, but what is the Maffetone Method?
2004-06-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: #30432

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Here are the basics of it:

http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460

2004-06-10 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
England

I recently got PC Coach and tri addition which gives you great detail on the subject. In brief the max aerobic rate is calculated on a standard formula:

The 180-Formula

1.  Subtract your age from 180 (180 - age)

2.  Modify this number by selecting one of the following categories:

a.  If you have, or are recovering from, a major illness (heart disease, any operation, any hospital stay, etc.) or if you are on medication...................subtract 10

b.  If you have not exercised before, or if you have been exercising but have been injured or are regressing in your training or competition, or if you often get colds or flu, or have allergies..................subtract 5

c.  If you have been exercising for up to two years without any real problems, and if you have not had colds or flu more than once or twice per year......subtract 0

d.  If you have been exercising for more than two years without any problems, while making progress in competition, without injury...........................add 5

For example, if you are 35 years old and fit into category b:

180 - 35 = 145, then 145 - 5 = 140 beats per minute

In this case you will be able to exercise at 140 beats per minute and remain aerobic.  Any activity done over 140 bpm will rapidly become anaerobic

In PC Coach you then take regular tests each 3 weeks to track performance gains and when gains from aerobic sessions start to reduce you start anaerobic sessions until the same thing happens etc.

Hope that helps - theres a fair load on the web on it all.

2004-06-10 9:22 PM

Honestly, the whole 180-age thing is a really bad way to estimate your aerobic heart rate. You need to measure it for yourself in each sport individually, because it varies all over the map person to person.

I would recommend picking up a copy of the Triathlete's Training Bible for a lot more info. I'm sure there are a lot of other resources onhow to measure this also.,
2004-06-11 4:58 AM

User image

Expert
England

I agree with you Peter for general HR calculations and have done the tests (mine actually DID come out as per the general 220- age thing) but the Maffetone method is widely used and is widely accepted as formula that works for aerobic training. I am no expert but I guess the +/- adjusters help take into account the variation in many people.

It is only used to calculate 1 thing - the max aerobic HR that you should use for aerobic base building, and he does not then try and create loads of zones etc. I believe there is no doubt that for just about anyone using that calculation they will end up working aerobically and not anaerobically during training, and that is his point - spend time in the aerobic zone to build your endurance. For me I end up with a max aerobic HR of 146bpm and there is no way I can do anything other than aerobic work and stay below that level, but now I have spent time doing it, I easily complete 90 min runs at a steady easy pace and continue to see improvements in the distance I cover in that time, so it works well for me.

Of course, this is an art and not a science so there is no single right method. Personally I found the Tri Bible very complex and after 2-3 re-reads I am still no nearer identifying my lactate thresholds etc and how to differentiate my training during each week of the periodisation, so can make little use of it in my training plan. It does however have some very helpful info in other areas. Perhaps when I get more experienced and more races under my belt, it will make more sense to me?

2004-06-11 6:42 PM
in reply to: #30667

Well Damon I do have to come clean and admit I have not actually completed a training plan by using the TTB - in part because it IS so complicated. I've mostly just read through it and tried to absorb it without getting too into the numbers (yet). I guess I feel like I should be training instead of reading about training. (And a lot of what's in there seems aided at a veteran triathlete).

Really I suppose the Maffetone method is fine -- I am just biased against HR-based methods in general, and in particular anything which doesn't take individual variation into account. That's because my max HR for running is at least 205, and based on perceived exertion my aerobic zone is around 160-165. And I'm NOT 15 years old (32). I do pretty much all my training by monitoring my perceived exertion, pace, and every once in a while checking heart rate (with my fingers on the neck). It has worked well for me in the last 6 months or so, although I'm sure that doubling my training time helps a bit also!
2004-06-13 9:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Oh my heck! I did a 3.5 mi run today in my maffetone "zone." It was the worst run I've had in my life! I was so slow that little kids literally passed me as they were skipping around the track.

I've been running for about 5 years now, but since I've started doing tris, I'm interested in getting faster. This going slower approach had me ready to quit after a mile and a half. I'm not ready to give it up just yet, but I believe the formula doesn't quite work for me. I would also submit the proposition that you can actually incur injuries using this method. If a 3.5 mi run normally takes 30 minutes, for example, you aren't doing yourself any favors by spending 15 more minutes doing more heel strikes. Just my initial thoughts. Today's run sucked. A lot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone use the Maffetone method for training? Rss Feed