General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your favorite CO race and why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-16 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: What's your favorite CO race and why?

I'm looking to add a few events for the summer and am just curious what people's favorite events are and why they like those events.

Thanks!

2012-02-16 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4051724

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: What's your favorite CO race and why?
Last year was my first, so I may not be the best judge of a good race. However, there were two events that stuck out as being head and shoulders above the rest. They were The Denver Triathlon and the Bear Chase 10K. The Denver Triathlon was my first, but the ice baths at the finish was the best part of the whole year. The after party was pretty cool too. The Bear Chase 10K had several distances, and was just a cool atmposphere. Not sure if it was the location making it more like a picnic/campout, or if it was the fact that it was a trail run. Either way, it was very friendly and relaxing for such work. Then again it may just be me. Both were firsts, my first triathlon, and my first 10k, but they are also the two I am looking forward to this year. The other race for this year that has me excited is the Steamboat Lake Tri. Primarily due to location.
2012-02-17 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
If you want a smaller race that is well organized, pt to pt swim, bike/run with views of the front range then the Pelican Fest Sprint is a nice change of pace. It's in Windsor over Memorial weekend and it's a great first of the season warm up.
2012-02-17 1:49 PM

User image

I like to start my season with the Barking Dog Duathlon.  It's a fun course and it lets me shake out the cobwebs without getting wet  Once the season gets rolling, I love My Way or the Tri Way where you can pick your swim bike run order and the xterra at Lory state park is fun.  The tri on Lookout Mountain was super fun last year, but I may try the new one by racing Underground in Evergreen this year.  I volunteered for a couple of their races in exchange for some free entries and they always do an awesome job.  The Evergreen course looks like a good one.  Harvest moon is also on my tentative list if I can get the miles in.  That one and the XTerra at Lory are both by Without Limits.  Really anything by racing underground or without limits will be a quality race.  I think they both allow you to volunteer at one race in exchange for free or discounted entries into another and that is what allows me to race more than a couple of times a year.
2012-02-17 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch

Boulder Peak in July. Nothing like climbing Old Stage road to see what you're made of...

Crescent Moon has been a late season favorite, although it appears to be moving from CCSP to Aurora Res.

Edited by StMaas 2012-02-17 7:18 PM
2012-02-20 1:14 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado

For running, the Bolder Boulder is a one of a kind experience.  Not necessarily a 10K for a PR, unless you get in one of the front waves.  I've done this race since Junior High School and it's very well organized and an epic type of experience.  Running into a packed Folsom stadium at the end of the race is very cool!  This one is always on my list of races to do.

For triathlons, there are a lot of great options up north if you are looking for smaller crowds.  Loveland has the Lake to Lake at the end of June, as well as a Sprint Triathlon at the end of July.  The sprint was my first triathlon, and I found it to be really well run. 

Another quality triathlon is the Greeley Triathlon (usually in early to mid June).  It's a very short sprint triathlon, and extremely well organized.  The local police department are very active with it, and they do a fantastic job with all aspects of the race.  The swim start is a "time trial" style with a 4-5 second pause between swimmers.  I wasn't sure if I would like that, but it was really nice, and rather picturesque watching the swimmers spread out across the lake.  Also, they did a ton of drawings during the awards ceremony, everything from restaurant gift certificates to sunglasses. 

2012-02-20 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar

I have only participated in one 70.3 in Colorado and was my 2nd 70.3 total and that was the Harvest Moon Long Race Festival.

I also do a tri-sprint in Lamar, Co in August support the home town. a good one for a first time entry fees are usually 12-15 dollars.

2012-02-20 11:36 PM

User image

Regular
I've only done it once, but the Tri-it High Triathlon in Leadville, CO in mid July was a great  race.  Only drawback was that it was a pool swim, but the bike ride secenery was amazing and more than made up for it, as was the run. 
2012-02-21 9:05 AM

User image

Bolder/Boulder is my fav.

50,000 runners

Water stops serving beer

donut stops.

Belly dancers.

Water slides

Down sides: Kind of expensive, 50,000 runners.

The Barkin Dog Du 2 weeks earlier is fun, Cherry Creek is a good place to ride a bike and run(not so much swimming...)

Looking at the Steamboat tri for my multi sport adventure.

2012-02-21 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Love the Highlands Ranch Tune Up in June to start things off.  Good course, challenging bike. 

Loveland Lake 2 Lake is one of the more scenic tris I've done.  Great course, especially the bike.

XTERRA Beaver Creek.  Toughest tri I've ever done and this was just the sprint distance.

Harvest Moon:  my first HIM.

2012-02-22 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4059003

User image

Crested Butte

Road... I say Loveland Lake 2 Lake. Well organized, fun event and a beautiful bike course makes for a great race.

Best off road is no longer on the calendar. The Buffalo Creek Xterra was awesome. I don't believe there is a better off road tri course in the country. It is rather sad that it went away.

2012-02-23 12:18 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I agree that Racing Underground and Without Limits do a great job on their races.  I'd recommend any race held at Aurora Res because the water's so clean. 
2012-02-24 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

I'm a big fan of Without Limits and Racing Underground as well.  Any event they put on is going to be well-organized, fairly priced, and a lot of fun.

I think my single favorite individual race is probably the Denver Triathlon.  There's been a lot of hype about swimming in Sloan's Lake... I've swam in there 3x now, and it's no worse than Cherry Creek Res.  The Denver Tri bike course is super fun- the downhill on Colfax heading east means you can really fly.  The run that starts and finishes @ Mile High-Invesco-Sports Authority Field is one of the most memorable I've done.  The race is also really well organized, and they have some really wonderful Brand Ambassadors (if I say so myself!)

2012-02-24 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

I'm a big fan of Without Limits and Racing Underground as well.  Any event they put on is going to be well-organized, fairly priced, and a lot of fun.

I think my single favorite individual race is probably the Denver Triathlon.  There's been a lot of hype about swimming in Sloan's Lake... I've swam in there 3x now, and it's no worse than Cherry Creek Res.  The Denver Tri bike course is super fun- the downhill on Colfax heading east means you can really fly.  The run that starts and finishes @ Mile High-Invesco-Sports Authority Field is one of the most memorable I've done.  The race is also really well organized, and they have some really wonderful Brand Ambassadors (if I say so myself!)

2012-02-28 9:36 AM

Veteran
I like the fort collins sprints - they bookend the season nicely in may and september.  The lookout mountain tri was fun - a lot more climbing than most tris.  
2012-03-02 11:27 AM

User image

Denver

It is a pretty big toss up for me. The Rattle Snake is great if you are doing the "Back to Back" Olympic & Sprint. Definitely an exuberance and some great race swag for doing it.  

The Denver Triathlon is awesome too with it being in Denver proper, the Mile High Stadium finish, plus the connection with the C Different foundation and now the USA Paratriathlon Race Series will make it pretty inspiring this year.  I just posted a active.com discount code for this race in a new thread a little while ago too. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your favorite CO race and why? Rss Feed