General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone recovered from a tibial stress fracture? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-18 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Anyone recovered from a tibial stress fracture?
I had one a couple years ago so it is long healed.  I'm getting back into running (shorter distances) and I'm worried I''m going to re-injure myself so I'm a little paranoid about every twinge.  Sometimes I seem to have some ache/discomfort at weird times (like when I'm driving, or just sitting if I cross my legs at the ankles) right where I had the stress fracture.  Anyone else experience anything like that?

2012-02-18 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4054251

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Subject: RE: Anyone recovered from a tibial stress fracture?
All the time. I had a full radial fracture of the tibia 2 years ago I was off running for over a year, I started back last jan, I can still feel it and like you I am pretty concious of it. I need to allow a lot more recovery time between runs a full day for sure for runs of 10K or less 2 days for anything over 10K. Even with that the stress builds up over time and around every 3 to 4 months I need to take a 10 to 14 day break from running altogether. A couple of weeks ago it started to not recover on the days rest so I took a 10 day break to let everything refresh the last 10 days, did my first 10K at lunch yesterday and the leg felt great. Now at 58 I probably need more recover time then you anyway's but the main thing is if it doesn't feel right rest it, it a lot easier to take a 7 to 10 day break then to be back in a boot for  3 to 6 weeks. I keep my training going on the bike in the pool and on rollerblades when I am not running so I don't loose any fitness at all really.
2012-02-18 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Yes! I had a tibial stress fracture 1/2" below the condyl last March. It took 5 months to heal and I started back very slowly. I am also very concerned about reinjury. About 6 weeks went by before I stopped worrying about every little twinge and resumed half marathon training (completed 1 in Dec, a 2nd in Jan and next is Mar). So I'm reasonably sure I'm healed. Wink But I do have occasional pains just as you described - random and not during or after a run. I can be sitting on the couch reading a magazine and I'll get a twinge of pain. I have no idea!
2012-02-19 7:23 AM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere

18 years ago I experienced stress fractures in both tibias, my left femur, and a bone in my left foot. I was young and bull-headed and thought the pain was muscular, so I kept working out really hard for a month before I went to a doctor. As a result, I get shin splints a bit easier than what I observe other folks experiencing. Over the last few years I've learned how to train around the residual problems and I've been able to avoid the long breaks in training.

I completely understand the concern about re-injuring your leg. What works for me may not work for you, but here goes: work up in distance and speed a little slower than you would have in the past, and if your shin starts to hurt, ice it and take an extra day or two off and remind yourself that the rest will allow you to improve more than running on the pain would. 

I experience the aches you describe, but I don't know if they're a result of the stress fractures, or something else. I imagine my shins are a little more sensitive than they would have been otherwise, but I really don't know because this is all I've known for a long time. For better or worse I've accepted the aches as part of life and I've learned to keep going. So long as the pain doesn't exactly mimic what I experienced with the fractures, I try hard to not be worried. I don't always succeed, but I try.

2012-02-19 9:14 AM

User image

Elite
I realize I am a complete stranger so feel free to verify this with your doctor.

If you are susceptible to stress fractures , due to the bone remodeling process every third week /21 days you should back off the total running mileage however in most training plans the recovery week solves that problem. Good luck
2012-02-19 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4055266

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

FELTGood - 2012-02-19 9:14 AM I realize I am a complete stranger so feel free to verify this with your doctor.

If you are susceptible to stress fractures , due to the bone remodeling process every third week /21 days you should back off the total running mileage however in most training plans the recovery week solves that problem. Good luck

x2

2012-02-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4055195

User image

Melon Presser
RBesecke - 2012-02-19 9:23 PM

18 years ago I experienced stress fractures in both tibias, my left femur, and a bone in my left foot. I was young and bull-headed and thought the pain was muscular, so I kept working out really hard for a month before I went to a doctor. As a result, I get shin splints a bit easier than what I observe other folks experiencing. Over the last few years I've learned how to train around the residual problems and I've been able to avoid the long breaks in training.

I completely understand the concern about re-injuring your leg. What works for me may not work for you, but here goes: work up in distance and speed a little slower than you would have in the past, and if your shin starts to hurt, ice it and take an extra day or two off and remind yourself that the rest will allow you to improve more than running on the pain would. 

I experience the aches you describe, but I don't know if they're a result of the stress fractures, or something else. I imagine my shins are a little more sensitive than they would have been otherwise, but I really don't know because this is all I've known for a long time. For better or worse I've accepted the aches as part of life and I've learned to keep going. So long as the pain doesn't exactly mimic what I experienced with the fractures, I try hard to not be worried. I don't always succeed, but I try.

This. Have had two tibial stress fractures, same leg. That pretty much means I'm an idiot, so I've tried to learn my lesson.

I also do get the aches and twinges, but I use caution as described. As long as the pain doesn't occur on two successive runs, or doesn't seem to persistently be in one spot, I'm okay.

2012-02-19 11:11 AM

Extreme Veteran

this is good information. my wife has been battling one for the past year (boot, though she was healed (cleared by the dr) ran and then experienced pain again.. re-check with bone scan to find out it never healed). Now finally out of the boot, but not even close to running again, just walking around sans-boot for now end goal is MCM in October..

Good info, thank you.

2012-02-28 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for all the tips.  It doesn't hurt while running and I remember when it happened a few years ago it definitely hurt during the run.

It actually bothers me most when I'm at rest, just sitting around, like right now it feels a bit sore and achey.  Don't think there's a real tender spot, mostly just a general ache down the inside shin of the one leg.  But I can't help feeling that I might just be a month or so away from a stress fracture.  My training is not real intense, I run 2-3 times a week, 2-4 miles at a time, slow pace and still take some walk breaks, so I don't think I'm overdoing it from that perspective.

2012-02-28 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4070118

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Oh, this thread makes me feel so much better. I was diagnosed with a tibial stress fracture last July, took SIX MONTHS off running, and started out slowly again this January (I'm up to a whopping three miles... baby steps). I also still get the occasional twinge and ache -- and they all have me on edge, freaking out, worried that I'm reinjuring myself. My orthopedist warned me it would take some time for the muscles to build back up and that I would be sore, so I figured a lot of it was just that. I also get many more twinges when there is a cold weather front coming in.

At my last appointment I got to see the bump on the xray where the bone was building back up, plus taking six months off, plus no real reason for getting one in the first place (ortho said it was probably a freak occurrence in the bone-regenerating cycle)... means I am probably just being paranoid. But I sure don't want to have to take another six months off -- that was torture!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone recovered from a tibial stress fracture? Rss Feed