General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Half Marathon Hydration/Nutrition question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-23 2:29 PM

User image

Subject: First Half Marathon Hydration/Nutrition question
I am training for my first half-marathon using a training plan from halhigdon.com.  Thsi plan has one long run each week.  At what distance/time should I be carrying water and or gels/chews etc?  This week's run is 7 miles, which will probably take me right at one hour.  The long run increases one mile per week.  Also, what is the best way to carry it (i assume some sort of belt)?

2012-02-23 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4063063

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-23 2:43 PM

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: First Half Marathon Hydration/Nutrition question

2thhacker - 2012-02-23 2:29 PM I am training for my first half-marathon using a training plan from halhigdon.com.  Thsi plan has one long run each week.  At what distance/time should I be carrying water and or gels/chews etc?  This week's run is 7 miles, which will probably take me right at one hour.  The long run increases one mile per week.  Also, what is the best way to carry it (i assume some sort of belt)?

Each person has their preference.  I don't like the belt or the pack on my back etc..  I'll carry a water bottle in one hand for longs runs, it doesn't bother me.  In colder temperatures I can do easy runs up to 10 miles w/o fuel or hydration (85-90 minutes).  As it warms up, hydration becomes more of a factor.

If this is your first 7 miler, I'd bring water just in case.  It is during these long runs where you learn about yourself.  What I do in preparation for long runs is to hydrate well and get some fuel in 1-2 hours before.

I think Fuelbelt makes the product with 4 small bottles on a belt  Camelbak makes some hydration products as well.

2012-02-23 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4063110

This is my first 7 mile run.  I was running 5 miles 4 times a week, then found out about this race (local).  I decided to sign up for motivation to increase my distance.  The 6 mile run was the first of our weekly "long" runs and was fine, I just wasn't sure what the magic number was.  It sounds like it varies person to person.  Maybe I'll try carrying water by hand and then buy a belt if needed.  We go first thing in the morning, so I'm asleep 1-2 hours before.

2012-02-23 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4063156

Master
University Park, MD
2thhacker - 2012-02-23 3:57 PM

This is my first 7 mile run.  I was running 5 miles 4 times a week, then found out about this race (local).  I decided to sign up for motivation to increase my distance.  The 6 mile run was the first of our weekly "long" runs and was fine, I just wasn't sure what the magic number was.  It sounds like it varies person to person.  Maybe I'll try carrying water by hand and then buy a belt if needed.  We go first thing in the morning, so I'm asleep 1-2 hours before.

It partly varies by individual, but it varies massively by season/location. Right now, in the Maryland winter, I can happily go 13 miles without hydration, and it's no problem at all. In the summer months, it's a whole different game. Then I plan my runs to go past places where I know there are water fountains and/or I carry a hydration belt. I have a 4-bottle belt by Amphipod that I really like - the bottles clip in/out really very easily. Before I started using it last summer I was extremely skeptical of running with a belt, but I came to really appreciate it. 

Up to half marathon distance you really shouldn't need to worry about gels, etc. You can eat something an hour beforehand, and refuel afterwards. Your body can't burn through its fuel supplies in that distance. But in hotter weather it's a good idea to make sure that you're getting electrolytes somehow.

2012-02-23 8:48 PM

Veteran
Maine
I did my first half marathon last October.  I found I needed to carry water when I hit the 8 mile mark while training, up until then I was fine.(this was in Aug & Sept.)  For the first couple of long runs after that I used a small camelbak that I already had, but I picked up a two bottle belt that I've used since.

2012-02-23 9:34 PM

Pro
Omaha, NE
As the others have said we're all different but in my opinion water is all you need for an hour run.  Your body will have plenty of nutrients for that.  For me I can run an hour without even drinking.  I get a little dehydrated towards the end, but it's not too bad as long as it's not scorching out.
When I do longer runs I hate carrying water so I stash a couple gatorade bottles at one side of the lake and run from the other side. It works out to me having fluids about every 3 miles during my runs.  Even in the heat of summer it's plenty for up to 20 milers for me.
2012-02-24 7:27 AM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I don't see your location and that would make a big difference. But I suppose that I am the worst case scenario as I train in tropical heat. I normally don't take liquids along for runs under 50-60 minutes, unless it's unusually hot even for here (as in high 90's or triple digits) or I feel I might be starting low on fluids due to a previous workout (i.e. if it's a bike-run brick).

For 60-90 minute runs, I take about 500ml of water with a Nuun tablet (electrolyte drink) in a hydration belt. Some prefer handhelds or Camelbacks; but I have one model (no longer produced, and my current one's falling apartFrown) that fits really well and is comfortable. For runs over 90 minutes, I take two half-liter bottles.  But it is always at least 80 degrees here, even at 5 AM! In cooler weather (Oregon) I run up to 75 or 80 minutes without liquids. For my longest HM training runs (around 2 hours), I take one gel to have at about 1:15. Never did this in the past and probably not necessary, but I find it improves my feelings of well-being, esp. if it has caffeine!  If you are within the two-hour range for long runs and the race itself, you probably don't need more than that, although some people take more. Definitely experiment with this well before the race.

2012-02-24 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4063784

Veteran
I will agree that it does vary a lot from person to person.  I am a gel every 5 miles kind of guy but don't take any unless I am going more than 10 miles.  The hydration is a different story.  I am a very heavy sweater so hydration becomes an issue for me sooner than many others.  I take a 4 bottle hydration belt with me and if I am going 12 or less I take 2 10oz bottles.  Any further and I take all 4.  Last weekend I did a 21 miler in low to mid 60's heat and I had to stop back by the house at mile 16 for a refill on bottles.  I went through 6 bottles total on my run.  I just know my body and how much I sweat so I prepare for it.  Better to carry water you don't need than be caught dehydrated with no water source.
2012-02-24 7:55 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
I would say it depends on each person and your body will tell you when you need nutrition. I also followed Hal Higdons plans for my first half mary last november and currently doing it again for one in May. Me personally, I think alot depends on distance and weather. When its cooler outside, I find myself able to go about an hour or so, without needing any nutrition or water. After that much, I will bring a gel with me and try to find water. I usually run the same route on my long runs and it takes me by several bars and restaurants and they have no problem giving me a glass of water or two if I ask for it during my run. Good luck on your training and in your race.
2012-02-24 7:59 AM

As others have said, it varies from person to person.

Personally, for anything over an hour, I try to shoot for 10-15 oz/hour of water (more in the summer), and 150ish calories an hour.  Just my thing.  And I carry a belt.  In training, I make sure there are water stops along the way.

ETA: I should add that I usually weigh 130-135.

Edited by ironultrared 2012-02-24 8:17 AM

2012-02-24 8:30 AM

Master
Bedford, MA

Your glycogen levels supply around 1800 calories of energy, so you really don't need a gel or other nutrition for a workout under two hours.

As for hydration, it can vary by individual sweat rates, weather, humidity, etc. I generally do runs of 1.5 hours (12 miles or so) or less without any hydration. On longer runs I'll use a FuelBelt in warmer weather and a Camelback in colder temps (the water won't freeze as quickly as on my FuelBelt). I also tend to do warmer weather runs on a bike path that has water fountains, so I then don't have to carry the extra weight of a hydration system.

As long as you are properly hydrated prior to your longer runs and you are going at the proper pace, you probably won't need any hydration.

2012-02-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4064129

natethomas2000 - 2012-02-24 8:30 AM

As long as you are properly hydrated prior to your longer runs...

x a million

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Half Marathon Hydration/Nutrition question Rss Feed