General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-14 8:59 PM

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Knee Pain Question

I've been experiencing some discomfort in my left knee when running.  I've never had this type of discomfort before so I'm a little baffled.  Training background - trained last year and completed several sprints and one oly.  Training for 2 1/2 months this year and completed one sprint.  I'm as slow as Christmas running.  Training this year has been on a steady increase in mileage, mostly following the couch-to-sprint plan, but just changed over the the sprint-to-olympic bridge.

Pain started about a week ago, the day after a good run (for me anyway).  I don't run very far or very fast right now.  Next day the knee was stiff.  After sitting for a while, it would be uncomfortable for a minute or two when walking, then it would be ok, until I sat for a while again.

Tuesday I went for a ride.  Knee was  little stiff starting out, but was otherwise fine during the ride.  Wednesday I walked to warm up and the knee felt ok, until it started giving me a little problem at about 1/2 mile.  I quit and walked home.  Thursday bike ride was fine again.  Friday off, but knee was much better during the day.  Saturday long bike ride, knee was fine.  Massage in the afternoon, during which she worked out a lot of "knots" with great discomfort to me in the process, but the knee was better afterwards.  Then tonight I went to the HS track.  Warmed up and stretched good.  Walked 1/4 mile and then started running.  I couldn't go 200 yards without pain again.  Walk some more, stretch some more, try it again.  Can't do it.  Did stadium steps x 8 and the knee was fine.  Did 4 x 120 sprints on the football field.  The knee was fine.  I did try running on the grass and could go longer running, but knee still gave me pain.

So, any suggestions?  It doesn't seem to be mechanical, if I can ride, do stadium steps, sprints, etc.  I did try a newer pair of shoes tonight (different than previous runs) but that didn't seem to make a difference

Anybody run into something similar? or have any insight?

2006-05-14 9:26 PM
in reply to: #423592

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Subject: RE: Knee Pain Question
Two potential reasons:

1) Poor running form.
2) Lack of sufficient recovery time from a minor injury resulting in a compounded injury.

In all likelihood it is a combination of these two reasons.

Even if you have good running form, ....if you sustain an injury and don't allow for sufficient recovery... you will start to have a running form that is compensating for an injury resulting in an abnormal running form.

The particular solution will vary depending upon the specific location of the pain and how well the problem is diagnosed. If the diagnosis is correct, the proper physical therapy and/or orthotic will most likely solve the problem.

FWIW Joe Moya
2006-05-14 10:15 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I'd lay off the stadium steps entirely... and give your knee a couple days of good old fashioned rest. Ice, and Advil, too.

If you ignore this injury now, you will pay for it later. Give it some time to rest. Let us know how it goes.  

2006-05-15 7:26 AM

Knee pain is never a good thing and you should be careful not to further injur yourself by 'running through it'. You didn't mention where the pain was coming from which is important since there are many different injuries that can occur to your knee. One thing you can probably be sure of is that its an 'overuse' injury which is common among runners and is usually only cured through a program of rest, stretching and ice. I was unfortunate enough to suffer through a bout of ITB syndrome which causes pain along the outside of the knee. I didn't recognize the symptoms soon enough and ended up unable to run for nearly 4 months. I finally healed with the help of 10 weeks of PT. My advice is to take a few days off from whatever activity causes the pain, do lots of stretching, and ice it at least 2x per day. If the pain comes back see a Sports Doc.
2006-05-15 11:08 AM
in reply to: #423750

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
JimD - 2006-05-15 8:26 AM

You didn't mention where the pain was coming from which is important since there are many different injuries that can occur to your knee.

Ditto on that. The advice you've received about RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) is all worthwhile as well. If it doesn't get better, see the doc!

Good luck -- I'm two days post knee surgery and crossing my fingers for the future!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain Question Rss Feed