General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Scottsdale, Arizona
United States
Tri-Family Racing
Total Time = 1h 14m 33s
Overall Rank = 31/95
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal, yogurt, banana. Get everything organized early and have a slow drive over to the JCC.
Event warmup:

None. Just talk amongst friends. It was a pool swim, so no way to really warm-up for the swim.
Swim
  • 09m 22s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The pool was CROWDED by the time I got to jump in. It felt like an OWS since I was passing/getting passed the entire time. I would have to flip turn off the wall/people. Sometimes there were so many people that I would have to stop at the wall, wait to grab the wall in an open spot (less than a second) and then launch off. Swim went by really fast though. Training is starting to pay off in this aspect. And kept the mantra "don't let ANY of this chlorine water into your mouth!" .I think that caused the cramping at Anthem.
What would you do differently?:

Get into MY rhythm at my own pace. The first couple 25's my cadence was super high and that was probably a waste of energy.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition.

Bring a towel next time and get nearer to the bike mount area. Running all the way to the back of the bike place was a pain. It wasn't the traditional layout for a transition area with two openings.
Bike
  • 36m 43s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 20.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Flat, flat, flat course. Easy to get up to speed. Biking was pretty good with the fact that I adjusted my fit a couple of days ago, and I didn't test it out. That was just plain stupid. I had to float a couple times above my seat to maximize my power. Of course I couldn't do that the entire ride. Still pretty good. Turning did get a bit iffy around some of those corners. It was a minigame of asteroids.

I can't wait to get my dedicated TT bike! No more adjusting and DIY fits every month or two.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 28m 28s
  • 3.56 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

I can't figure this one out. I THINK I need to couple my hydration with a Nuun or something. Something just wasn't cutting it. The sips of water didn't help either. Around the 2mi point, I started cramping. About half a mile from that point, it got BAD. Walked, ran, walked, ran, jogged, barely jogged, sluggishly crossed the line. I couldn't even will myself to the trademark last 50m sprint this time. The cramp was just a ticking time bomb the last mile or so.

Figure out what's going on and fix it. A mild version (relative to this one) of this happened at Anthem. This is completely destroying my run time/overall time.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a friend to give me some sports drink. Felt immensely better. Stretched and then walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run. Plain and simple.

Event comments:

Course was a nice change in pace. Almost completely flat. The transition area was a bit "blech" (layout). While I was racing, there were mini-sprint people walking through the transition area with their bikes to leave. And then when I finished, nobody told us the youth race was going on! I almost ran into one of the little guys. After the race, the pool was really nice to gather around with friends to just talk.

Last updated: 2012-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:22 | 500 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 41/95
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:43 | 12.6 miles | 20.59 mile/hr
Overall: 22/95
Performance: Average
22.1 mph AVG on my Garmin. (Race time = transition time and bike time combined)
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:28 | 03.56 miles | 07m  min/mile
Overall: 43/95
Performance: Bad
Race time = transition time + run time.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-02-27 10:32 AM

Subject: JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Maxi Triathlon Rss Feed