General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » A newbie from the Philippines! :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-15 9:00 AM

User image

New user

Subject: A newbie from the Philippines! :)
Hi all!

I have been obese (currently 214lbs) since an accident way back when I was 4 years old, but have been strong enough to be part of the Outdoor Sports team in high school, the Arnis Varsity in college, and have climbed mountains for my job in the local travel channel from 2001-2003.

Since September last year, I have started trying to lose weight 'coz I'd like to be healthy enough to have a baby someday. Rid myself of rice, pork, beef, and anything carbonated. I've lost a total of 30lbs by April this year, and that's without much exercise. About 3 weeks ago I decided to take on swimming as my exercise regimen, having dislocated my knee once before. I'm thinking the low impact exercise will be okay for me.

Just last weekend, though, I was invited by a friend to cover (take photos) a triathlon in Subic Bay. I went, I saw, I liked. I saw a girl who was also heavy-set (although not that big) participating in the triathlon, and I thought I could eventually finish a race just as well. After a lot of thinking and consideration, I finally decided the other night that I will join next year's triathlon, and that I would finish the race no matter how long it'll take. I've blogged about my decision and I've also told most of my friends about it to make sure I won't back out (haha!).

Now here I am, searching for more info to give me a better understanding of the sport. Glad I ran into this site! I'm looking forward to more inspiring stories from everyone, and hoping that I, too, will someday be an inspiration

- leslie -

2006-05-15 9:52 AM
in reply to: #423838

User image

Veteran
Utah
Subject: RE: A newbie from the Philippines! :)
Congrats on setting your goal, that is how I started as well. About 6 years ago I was over weight and frustrated. I started with a simple plan to lift some weights and running, I lost 50 pds and felt great. Once I started to compete in races then things really got exciting, I found out that I was addicted to competing in races (running). About a year ago a friend talked me into doing my first triathlon, and it has now become my passion, I read everything I can, and can't wait for my next competition. Use this site to assist you in your training, there are some great things to assist you. Let use know how things go with your training, and your goals.
2006-05-15 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,

Welcome to Beginner Triathlete, this is a great place to learn about triathlons.  It sounds as though you have some level of fitness with all your outdoor sports activities, so you are not starting from the couch like many of us here have done.  Congratulations on the start of loosing the 30 lbs you have so far.

It is something to watch a triathlon in person.   You see that everyone can do a triathlon if they set there mind to it. 

Enjoy the site, and gather as much information as you can.  If you don't see an answer you are looking for, feel free to post the question, and you will get many replies with help and advice.

2006-05-15 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Spring Hill, FL
Welcome to this site, It is very addictive and helpful. Everyone here is nice and sweet, anything you need or run across, don't hesitate to ask. Best wishes with your training. It will come, my wife is in process of doing similar process of losing weight. She has a goal of running a 5k in October. She currently weighs about 245lbs. So best wishes to you and your journey and God's Speed!
2006-05-15 9:01 PM

User image

New user

Thanks for all the support, you guys!

Btw, I weighed myself again, and there's another 5lbs lost since April! Woot!

I'll be hooked on this site, for sure!

- leslie -
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » A newbie from the Philippines! :) Rss Feed