General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with calf soreness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-28 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Running with calf soreness

Hey all, 

I JUST started running...JUST...and have done two tiny runs in VFFs (working on a mid- to fore-foot strike because I always get shin splints from heel-striking in marshmallow shoes) where I simply did 4 sets of 60-second walk, 90-second run intervals. I'm trying to take this gait modification thing REALLY slowly, and I thought that that minuscule amount would be small enough. But without actually measuring, I'd hazard a guess that I did my 60-second intervals faster than what will eventually, likely, be my race pace.

Predictably, my calves are sore. Mostly the right one. From a glance at some calf anatomy drawings I'd say it's the top of the medial gastrocnemius. Gets up near the knee but I would definitely call it calf pain, not knee pain. It's very tender and bruisy-feeling to the touch. Everything else (ankles, arches, knees) feels awesome...been walking around my house barefoot for months, and have been doing weighted calf raises as part of strength training for 2 months.

Plenty of articles say it will go away. Of course it will. My question is, is it foolish/dangerous to continue running when it hurts? It hurts when walking and running, but definitely not so much as to cripple me during a super short run/walk workout. 

I want to strengthen my calves, not ruin them...is the super-small magnitude of my newbie workouts even too much? Should I slow my pace? Should I wait to run again till the pain is gone? Should I massage, stretch, or both, or neither? HTFU and run?

Edited by Neek-neek 2012-02-28 4:27 PM

2012-02-28 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4071330

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Running with calf soreness
Slow down. Seek out more forgiving surfaces if you're trying out VFFs. And go to town with the self massage. (I've been wrestling with a very tight calf for the past 10 days, but some aggressive massage using a tennis ball has worked wonders in the past few days.)
2012-02-28 8:19 PM

User image

Clemson, SC

Be sure you aren't overly forcing a midfoot strike. You shouldn't be running up on your toes as all that will do is tear up your calves and achilles tendons. While I don't wear VFFs, I do wear new balance mt20s for all of my trail and treadmill running. When I first got them, I tried to force a forefoot strike by landing on my toes, and it tore up my calves. I read some more about it, and now I just work on taking quick light steps and don't worry about the heel-strike vs. mid-foot. It just happens naturally.

My calf soreness lasted for about 4-5 days, and during that time I couldn't walk down stairs very well (had to side step down). Oddly, I could still run just fine. Ironically, I am re-experiencing the calf soreness this week (2 months later) after some ambitious mountain running on Sunday (almost 4k vert feet in 10.5 miles of trails). I was still able to run just fine Monday and today, but they hurt like hell when walking up or down stairs.

2012-02-28 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4071713

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
beebs - 2012-02-28 8:19 PM

Be sure you aren't overly forcing a midfoot strike. You shouldn't be running up on your toes as all that will do is tear up your calves and achilles tendons. While I don't wear VFFs, I do wear new balance mt20s for all of my trail and treadmill running. When I first got them, I tried to force a forefoot strike by landing on my toes, and it tore up my calves. I read some more about it, and now I just work on taking quick light steps and don't worry about the heel-strike vs. mid-foot. It just happens naturally.

I believe I'm doing it right. Just based on how natural, non-awkward, and non-forced it feels when I do it. I try more to focus on cadence, and I'm aware that my heels are kissing the ground like they should. I'm wondering if it's just a pace issue...I felt like I was going maybe a little faster than a TOTAL rookie should.

I'm just wondering if I need to wait for the pain to be GONE to continue, or if it's probably safe to run with some soreness still there. I think as long as I'm careful and try slowing my pace down, it could be fine to run tomorrow morning. I want to try, at least...

2012-02-28 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4071758

User image

Clemson, SC
How long have you been running and how much? I would say rotate in the VFFs every couple of days, but just for a little bit of your workout. Slowly build into them.
2012-02-28 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Intervals are a form of speedwork. Have you done enough base training to warrant doing any speed work? How new are you to running? You may want to just do the C25K program, but use the VFF.

2012-02-28 9:20 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I agree with whoever told you to slow down....go very slow changing into the VFF and slow your overall pace as well to get ysed to the form change.  You don't want to spend forever in PT getting a torn gastrocs to heal up (10 months was an eternity, I could have bought another bie for all my PT co pays)
2012-02-28 9:23 PM

User image

Clemson, SC
Reading comprehension owned me in this thread. I see you're just starting out... I think your situation is unique with regards to the calf soreness. If you think the VFFs are the cause, then don't run in them until the soreness is gone and then slowly work into them. If you think it is just because you haven't been running, then try and take it easy and slowly ease into running. Also, I have read that using VFFs and going barefoot around the house and whenever you can will help ease the transition.
2012-02-28 10:02 PM

User image

I victimized myself this past weekend by going for a long run in my VFF's after being on a treadmill for the past few months (little chilly up here to run outside in the VFF's).  Definitely ended up with a mild strain of my achilles by the end of it.  You will be dorsiflexed (re: taking your foot 'off' the gas pedal) more so with your VFF's than you'll be used to with typical running shoes that wedge your heel up somewhat, and that'll add tension to your gastroc/soleus/achilles.  Add in over-pronation of your foot during stance phase and you can really do a number on your achilles.  Take 'er slow, and do some prophylactic gastroc strength exercises.

Personally, until I really build up strength, I'm keeping my VFF's to the treadmill and trails, and sticking with my typical running shoes for pavement.  

Edit: I should clarify "if" you overpronate during stance

Edited by rdrbme 2012-02-28 10:05 PM
2012-02-28 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4071340

Master
Northern IL

colinphillips - 2012-02-28 4:31 PM Slow down. Seek out more forgiving surfaces if you're trying out VFFs. And go to town with the self massage. (I've been wrestling with a very tight calf for the past 10 days, but some aggressive massage using a tennis ball has worked wonders in the past few days.)

What he said. All of it. More forgiving would be non-paved surfaces, or a treadmill. Self-massage with mentioned items or a foam roller. Some like the stick.

2012-02-28 10:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Don - run/walk intervals, C25K-style is what I meant! Sorry for not specifying.

I am a running virgin pretty much. I have run 5k in the past, but like twice maybe, and always TMTS and got injured.

I'm such a noob that I am ramping up to the beginning of the C25K. Starting from scratch so now is a good time to get healthy form too, and after a lot of reading on minimalist/barefoot running it just seems to all make so much sense.

2012-02-28 10:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Can't seem to quote or edit with the mobile version of BT. Wanted to add...thank you all for the advice.
2012-02-29 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4071921

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

Neek-neek - 2012-02-28 8:55 PM Don - run/walk intervals, C25K-style is what I meant! Sorry for not specifying.

I am a running virgin pretty much. I have run 5k in the past, but like twice maybe, and always TMTS and got injured.

I'm such a noob that I am ramping up to the beginning of the C25K. Starting from scratch so now is a good time to get healthy form too, and after a lot of reading on minimalist/barefoot running it just seems to all make so much sense.

Earlier you said that your pace on the run intervals is "faster than your planned race pace" right?  If so, you still need to slow down.

2012-02-29 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley

This is my second year in VFF and love them. Here is my advice: Take it nice and easy the first month or so. There will be some soreness and you can work through a little of it, but if its really bad then you shouldn't run. Like the others have said, massaging is FANTASTIC! I have a foam roller at home and keep a tennis ball at work. Make sure you are giving more attention to stretching, especially your calves. When I stretch for a VFF run, I stretch out my calves using 3 different stretches and then usually 1 more time about a mile into my run. Also, the post run stretch is crucial.

The next mornings are a little stiff but they "warm" up in about 10 minutes of getting ready in the morning.

To answer your question more directly, some soreness is OK, pain is no good, take an extra day off and let your legs recover, massage, take a bath/hot tub.

2012-02-29 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4072666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
I felt quite a bit better this morning so I went for another run, trying to slow down, get the footstrike off my mind and just run easy. It felt good. I stretched a lot afterwards (I mostly do dynamic stretch warmups beforehand). Won't know till tomorrow how it really went. I'll work on massage today also. Thanks!
2012-02-29 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4072754

User image

Heart rate monitors can be a great and cheap way to gage your effort. New and experienced runners can benifit from this handy tool that makes sure you push hard enough but not too much......Careful when running on sore muscles. If you run, take it very easy and let those puppies recover.

2012-03-02 10:21 AM

Master
Memphis, TN

I tried to force a mid to forefoot strike and aggrivated my injury prone shinsplints

Run the way you run and you'll be better off and it's the second run running hurts at first

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with calf soreness Rss Feed