General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Schedule Intensity/Frequency Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-29 2:15 PM

User image

Omaha
Subject: Race Schedule Intensity/Frequency

Hello!

P.S. I copy/pasted this from a Word file, probably why the formatting is off.  My apologies.

This is my fourth year racing, second of which is competitive (or at least as I see it).  I really see myself vying for top overall finishes in local and/or regional Olympic races (Nebraska) within the next few years.  Without making this post too terribly long, here are a few pieces of pertinent information. 

1)      The past three years I have competed in over a dozen or so Sprint Duathlons and Triathlons (rough avg’s: Swim/ 1:45, Bike/23.00mph, Run 7:00).

2)      During those first three years I always trained hard but never trained smart.  As in, I always just pushed myself to the limit every day (other than days I rested/recovered) rather than committing to a 12-20 week formal training plan.

3)      While I have individually trained/done the distances of an Olympic triathlon, I have never actually done all three of them together or in a race.

4)      I am extremely driven to train smarter so I can compete at a high, if not elite, level in the Olympic distance.

Having said, my question revolves around the frequency and distances of the races I have scheduled this year.  To begin, my “Target Race” is the Hy-Vee Triathlon 9/2/12 in Des Moines, IA.  It is Olympic distance.  My goal is to place, if not win, my age group (M 25-29).    This would be a great way to increase my presence and to hopefully meet some high caliber triathletes.  So, I am already scheduled for that.  Prior to this race I have already registered for the following races:

1)      April 28, 2012 (Race Omaha Duathlon: Sprint Distance)

2)      May 20, 2012 (Kansas City Hy-Vee Triathlon: Sprint distance)

3)      June 17, 2012 (Papillion Days Duathlon: Sprint Distance)

4)      September 2, 2012 (Hy-vee Triathlon: Olympic Distance)

Finally, here is my question.  To fill the time between the 6/17 and 9/2 race, which one of the following options do I choose?

1)      Register for two additional races on 7/15/12 and 7/28/12, both Sprint Distance?

2)      Skip Option 1 and instead register solely for a race on 8/5/12, Olympic Distance?

3)      Register for nothing in between those two dates so I can continue to stay focused on smart, consistent training for my Target Race on 9/2/12 (even though, note, I have never competed the Olympic Distance despite having done the respective distances in my own training?)

4)      Some other recommendation you have that I have not thought of.

All thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Shaun

2012-02-29 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4073402

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Race Schedule Intensity/Frequency

If you really want to race well in an Oly at Hy-Vee, then definitely avoid having that be your first Oly. Racing for up to 2 1/2 hours is different than racing for a little over an hour.

Hy-Vee in Des Moines is a very high quality event with some correspondingly strong athletes. M25-29 last year was won in 2:06, which is probably a bit of a stretch given the current level that you describe. In particular, you'll probably want to pay attention to swim technique and to run mileage, to get yourself swimming < 1:30/100y and running 10k in around 40:00 off the bike.

Smart training will certainly help. It's not so much that you need to sign onto a specific get-me-there-in-20-weeks plan, but you do need to target specific improvements, work gradually towards them, and do a healthy mix of easier and harder days, especially for the running. Good luck! We look forward to seeing your results in the race reports section.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Schedule Intensity/Frequency Rss Feed