General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross Bike Tire Pressure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-08 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Subject: Cyclocross Bike Tire Pressure

Idiot question of the day time - I'm using my cyclocross bike to train on the road. When I'm riding the tires (700x34 or there abouts) Have a small amount of deflection (ie, they look a little like they're going down) but they're nice and hard when they don't have any weight on them.

The question is, should I pump them up more or are they good where they are? The rims have only hit over large rocks on the dirt road I've been using, and I've added a little air since then.

Follow up question - when the tires are a little soft, does it appreciably increase the rolling resistance and make the bike significantly less efficient or just a little bit less efficient?

Question three - swapping cyclocross tires for road tires, how much time/effort would I save or how much speed would I add?

I'm not asking for specific numbers "A lot," "some," "very little," will do, there are a ton of variables I'm not really able to give. Just be aware that I'm PRETTY SLOW when it comes to biking!

2012-03-08 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4086501

Veteran
Subject: RE: Cyclocross Bike Tire Pressure
guitarfrk75 - 2012-03-08 10:57 AM

Idiot question of the day time - I'm using my cyclocross bike to train on the road. When I'm riding the tires (700x34 or there abouts) Have a small amount of deflection (ie, they look a little like they're going down) but they're nice and hard when they don't have any weight on them.

The question is, should I pump them up more or are they good where they are? The rims have only hit over large rocks on the dirt road I've been using, and I've added a little air since then.

Follow up question - when the tires are a little soft, does it appreciably increase the rolling resistance and make the bike significantly less efficient or just a little bit less efficient?

Question three - swapping cyclocross tires for road tires, how much time/effort would I save or how much speed would I add?

I'm not asking for specific numbers "A lot," "some," "very little," will do, there are a ton of variables I'm not really able to give. Just be aware that I'm PRETTY SLOW when it comes to biking!

First off you should get a pump and check/pump up your tires every 1-3 rides IMO. I do mine just about every ride. All tires lose air and depending on type of tire and tube it can go faster/slower but after a week just about any tire needs to have more air put in

Second, when tires are low they deflect more. There is good and bad to this. The good is larger contact patch and POSSIBLY better traction which is why MTB and Cylcocross are higher volume but less pressure. The bad is if it is too low you are more prone to pinch flats and possibly rolling tire off bead. Depending on your weight and type of tire you need to find pressure that works best for you

Lastly, swicthing to road tires you will have a little less resistance and may feel slightly faster.....or maybe not. It shouldnt take long to switch and there would not necessarily be any benefit as more resistance can be a better workout. If you are racing the absolutley switch to road tires. If not why bother with the expense

2012-03-08 10:11 AM

User image

over a barrier
I race CX at a PSI of 20-25 depending on the conditions.

The more deflation or squishy the tires the more rolling resistance (ie slower), for CX racing you're also looking for that fine line of good RR and more traction (more service contact).

If you're riding your CX bike for TRis or on the road, pump them up. I haven't looked for clinchers, but I'm guessing you can take them up to 60psi or so.

Switching to a road tire, will have significant time and energy savings. If you're riding on the road, I would switch them out unless you're using the bike as a commuter in sketchy areas/roads and feel unsafe.

Edited by running2far 2012-03-08 10:12 AM
2012-03-08 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

If you're riding your CX on roads, or other hard surfaces then 2.75 to 4 bar.

If you're riding on grass, mud or other soft surfaces then you can let out a little pressure - you'll get more traction as the cost of a little rolling resistence.

I'm heavy (85kg) so my CX tires do deflect a bit.

2012-03-08 10:58 AM

User image

Virginia Beach
If you are training on the road switch to the road tires. Then you can get the humming sound out of your head. If you leave the CX tires, be sure to beat some guys in a sprint. My teamates hate it when I bring my CX bike, and crush them in a sprint with some knobbies.
2012-03-08 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I ride my 700x32 cross tires at about 60PSI on the road vs. about 30 PSI when I ride off road depending on the conditions.

Currently I'm riding my 32s on the road, but I will be a lot faster when I switch wheels with road tires Pro3s. I would guess about 1 mph if not more.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross Bike Tire Pressure Rss Feed