General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ten's Units Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-09 10:01 PM

User image

Subject: Ten's Units
Anyone ever use a ten's unit or other stimulation for recovery or pain. Was thinnking about getting one and wanted to find out any experiences. Thanks

2012-03-10 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4089578

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Ten's Units

My doctor prescribed one for me 3 years ago as part of my physical therapy after shoulder surgery.  It's hard to say if it made much difference in my recovery, as I was also do P.T. and getting stronger/better each day post surgery.  Too many variables to isolate the value of the Tens Unit.  But it was part of the whole equation.

I will say that it was an odd feeling to have it shocking me.  I started on a low number and over the next few weeks, turned it up bit by bit, so that near the end, the shock was actually causing the muscle to contract the shoulder. 

It won't hurt for you to try it.  I would look to see if you can borrow one or maybe buy a used one, before spending full price.  I still have mine if you're interested.

2012-03-10 11:29 AM

User image

pm sent
2012-03-31 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

Last November I had a bike crash and fractured my scapula.  My physical therapist suggested a tens unit and it was coverd by my insurance so I made the purchase.  I was skeptical that it would be of any use but was pleasantly surprised at how effective it was at reducing pain.  In January, my wife strained her upper back and was on the couch in pain and I suggested she give it a try.  I put it on her and she said it wasn't making much difference.  I looked in on her 10 minutes later and she was fast asleep!

I have the Empi Tens Select.  If you get something like this, I recommend you get the tube of adhesive conductive gel, as the replacement electrode adhesive gets old quickly and the replacement pads aren't cheap.

2012-04-02 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I was perscribed one as recovery therapy from my chiropractor. I love it.  Rollers and stimuation are great after a hard workout on knots (DON"T use at the same time!!)  I don't like the way it feels if there isn't muscle tension or knots, but as I said it works wonders on those troubled areas.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ten's Units Rss Feed