General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Form Change and hip Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-11 10:55 AM

Subject: Running Form Change and hip Pain

I posted this on the injury board a few days ago with no replies, so I thought I would try here.

So last spring/summer I drank the kool aid and change shoes and started running in Five Fingers, went from a heel striker to ball of foot without changing the length of my stride.  No injuries only sore calf muscles.

After doing further research, I decided to change my stride again this past November, I shortened my stride, working on a mid foot strike, with feet landing under my hips, with a quick turn over, and not increasing mpw(10-15).  Ditched the VFF and got some Nike Free 3.0.  Around the beginning of January, I started having pain in my hip flexors all the way around into my lower back. I tried to run through it but I couldnt do it.  I then started an intense glute strength routine, with foam rolling and stretching, went to Chiro and PT took a month off from running an biking, everything has been feeling pretty good.  Yesterday, I decided to go for an easy 2 mile run, stretched glutes and hips afterwards, woke up this morning and the pain is back in all areas, not as bad though. 

Sorry for the long post, but I am very frustrated, should I go back to a little longer stride with a mid food strike?  or just take more time off?

2012-03-11 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4090696

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Running Form Change and hip Pain
A couple questions....

How long have you been running, and was there anything in particular that prompted you to try and change your form (injury, etc.)?

What kind of pace/effort are your runs?

I'm wildly speculating here, but my guess is that maybe "quicker turnover" means you're running faster than previously. It could be that you haven't increased mileage, but maybe you have increased intensity... 10-15 miles per week is not much volume, and trying to run faster on such a shallow base might be the root of your problem. You may need to take some time go build your total run volume at an easy pace before you try to work on getting faster.

Again, that is purely a wild guess based on the limited info you've provided...
2012-03-11 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Almost the same thing happened to me last summer.  I went back to my normal gait and my hip has felt much much better.  Now I'm dealing with an achilles problem caused by running in shoes with very little drop.  Saucony Mirage.  I just need to leave things alone.
2012-03-11 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4090785

Thanks for the replies, I have been in the Army for 24 years so running is part of life, but last summer is when I started to run more, previously it was only about 6 MPW.  Pace is usually 10 min., which has my HR around 137-145 BPM.  The only reason I changed is because I wanted to start to increase miles and avoid injuries for the long haul, though I was not experiencing too many injuries in the first place.  I "think" that when I shortened my stride I might be leaning too much forward causing me to push my butt and hip back instead of pushing hips forward, heck I dont know, I should have never changed anything.
2012-03-11 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
You consciously changed your stride to avoid injury, and then got injured.  I think this pretty much answers your question.  Don't 'try' to run any particular way.  Just run however is natural.  You've probably spent enough time 'trying' to change that letting all that go is going to be a bit of a challenge.  One good way to find a natural stride is to do strides.   While you're doing them, do NOT think about 'form'.  Think about being light, floating through the strides, focusing on just counting your footstrikes (45 right foot strikes should be a good number for each one).  I've seen many people run with solid form when they do strides, and it carries over to your 'normal' running.
2012-03-11 7:28 PM

Ok, think I figured it out, lets see what you think.   When I changed my form with what is supposed to be a slight lean forward, I think I was leaning too much and my hips became unlevel causing strain on my hip flexors and not activating my glutes? 

2012-03-11 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4091120

Experior,

I agree, I did spend a solid month just working on changing things, so I can expect it will take another to let go of what I changed.  So mad, self inflicted pain!!! Thanks

2012-03-11 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4091120

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

One good way to find a natural stride is to do strides...I've seen many people run with solid form when they do strides, and it carries over to your 'normal' running.

I've seen this mentioned before...what does it mean to do strides?

2012-03-11 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4091331

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Neek-neek - 2012-03-11 10:42 PM

One good way to find a natural stride is to do strides...I've seen many people run with solid form when they do strides, and it carries over to your 'normal' running.

I've seen this mentioned before...what does it mean to do strides?

After you are feeling warmed up, run around 30 seconds as follows: for the first 10 seconds or so, accelerate to a pace that feels fast but not so hard that you are really pushing.  The running should not feel labored.  Strive for 'light' ('floating' is the word I like best but obviously it's a metaphor and might not work for everyone), quick turnover, and most important, relaxed running.  You aren't running from a bear.  You are joy-riding on the surface of the moon, or magically running across water.  Hold that for around 20 seconds, then ease back into your normal running pace.  The first time you do it, try doing it 3-5 times during a run, with plenty of recovery in between (though the strides really shouldn't stress you all that much if you are doing them well).  Work up to doing 10 strides per run (when you do them -- maybe 2-3 times per week, but start off with 1-2 times per week).  The exact time is not important.  I just count left foot strikes and go for around 45 strikes.

Edited by Experior 2012-03-11 9:53 PM
2012-03-11 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4091345

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Experior - 2012-03-11 

After you are feeling warmed up, run around 30 seconds as follows: for the first 10 seconds or so, accelerate to a pace that feels fast but not so hard that you are really pushing.  The running should not feel labored.  Strive for 'light' ('floating' is the word I like best but obviously it's a metaphor and might not work for everyone), quick turnover, and most important, relaxed running.  

Thanks for explaining. I always try for a light, relaxed feeling and fairly quick turnover (around 180)...would the main difference be the speed? Increasing the speed while trying to maintain a light, floaty feeling?

2012-03-11 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4091365

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Neek-neek - 2012-03-11 11:07 PM
Experior - 2012-03-11 

After you are feeling warmed up, run around 30 seconds as follows: for the first 10 seconds or so, accelerate to a pace that feels fast but not so hard that you are really pushing.  The running should not feel labored.  Strive for 'light' ('floating' is the word I like best but obviously it's a metaphor and might not work for everyone), quick turnover, and most important, relaxed running.  

Thanks for explaining. I always try for a light, relaxed feeling and fairly quick turnover (around 180)...would the main difference be the speed? Increasing the speed while trying to maintain a light, floaty feeling?

Yes.  You are absolutely correct to try to keep it relaxed regardless of pace.  The point of emphasizing relaxation during strides is that when picking up the pace, it is very easy to tense up.  I try to aim for around 3K-5K pace during strides, but the primary consideration is 'quick and relaxed'.

2012-03-12 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Gotcha - thanks.
2012-04-07 6:51 PM

Well took some time off from everything except strength work outs to try and figure out my hip pain, PT says glutes are not activating need to strengthen hips, so four days a week that is what I have done, hip thrusters, glute/ham, one legged squats, one legged step ups, good mornings, side leg raises, and tons of core work, mostly planks with feet on stability ball and hanging knee raises.

Started back up last week with 2 x 500 yard swim workouts, and a 1 mile run on tue and thur. very little pain, This week went to 2 x 700 yard swim workouts, 2 mile run and a 3 mile run.  All runs were about 10 min pace, but this morning after the 3 mile run, woke up with sore hips and lower back. What the hell, really starting to think its those damn Nike Free 3.0s, never had pain with any other shoe or even the VFFs until I switched to the Nikes.  I do have a high arch, not sure if that has anything to do with it.  thoughts?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Form Change and hip Pain Rss Feed