General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Help, I need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-17 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
BR, Louisiana
Subject: Help, I need advice
Hi all,

I am new here, training for my first tri in sept to celebrate my 28 b-day. Only I have one small problem. I have a nasty habit that I have been trying on and off to kick for almost a year. I am in pretty good shape, exercise religiously, always been very active, but yet I smoke. I know, I know, its awful. And I can feel it in my runs, especially now that it is getting bad again. But as bad as I know it is, and as much as it is the total opposite of what I am trying to accomplish and completely conflicts with the things I want the most right now, I just cant seem to kick it for good. Any words of wisdom from someone who has been there? I know this is not a quit smoking site, but I thought someone might have some advice

2006-05-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: #426120

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Help, I need advice
Welcome to BT.

I never smoked, so I can't tell you what worked for me, but there are some others who have travelled that road. (Look for a "before and after" thread in the weightloss forum.)

What I can say, is once you have really committed to quitting, you will find some way to succeed (cold turkey, patches, exercise, or some combination). You need to replace the habit you have with one you want. (So, instead of a smoke after a meal, go for a 5 minute walk.)
2006-05-17 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

There are a lot of ex-smokers here.

I smoked for 27 years (started at the ripe old age of 12). Finally quit in June of 2003 after I have no idea how many attempts. The thing that finally worked for me was a combination of wellbutrin and nicotine patches. That and a serious desire to see my kids grow up.

Just keep trying, don't give up.

Good luck.  

2006-05-17 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

Wish I could help with that.  I chewed for a few years in highschool and it was hard to quit, but probably not as hard as smoking.  The smell of tobacco in a grocery aisle can still be appealing, however.  My motivation was "marriage" related.  The fiance said it's either the "Redman" or me.  20 years of marriage later I'd say I made the right choice. 

Try finding someone to be accountable with on this.  Maybe that will help.  Good luck and let us know how it's going :-)

Edited by shawn barr 2006-05-17 10:58 AM
2006-05-17 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I am a former smoker as of this past October.  In fact, I started running when I quit and it didn't take long before I started triathlon training.

There are many tips and strategies that can help with quitting smoking. It may be worth doing a web search and reading up on some of the various psychological, behavioral, and medical aids.  I used a nicotine patches, which did help take the edge off, but they only do so much.  I also found that exercising was helpful in transfering the drive to something more positive.  When I found myself having an urge when at home, I'd do some crunches. 

No doubt about it, it isn't easy, but it is doable.  It also does get easier.  6 months into it now, it's really a non-issue for me, though I'd smoked for 20 years.

2006-05-18 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio

If you get it figured out let me know.  I have chewed for 21 years now and have tried to quit countless times.  I feel like a piece of poo because of it.  I biggest fear is that I will not see my kids grow up, but pathetically I keep doing it.

Maybe you and I should do a day by challenge for 60 days.  We have to come in each night and check in with each other to make neither of us fell off the wagon.  I never thought of having someone to partner with in the quitting process.  Pm me if interested.  or let me know what else you might have found that worked.

Good Luck

2006-05-18 8:32 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Never a smoker so no personal comments.   My mom was a smoker for 40+ years till a lump was found on her left lung.   She quit smoking cold turkey before the surgery to remove a cancerous lump.   She's been smoke free since January 2004.  Once she got her sense of smell back she did apologize BIG TIME for what he house smelled like and what we had to put up with.

As for changing habits, give this a try...as crazy as it will seem.   Every time you light one up tell yourself, "I DON'T SMOKE."   Tell youself that every time.  Over time your "SELF TALK" should convice yourself that you don't need to smoke and over time should reduse how much you smoke and eventually eliminate it altogether.

That's a trick I heard from some who smoked a looooong time.

YOU CAN KICK IT!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Help, I need advice Rss Feed