General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swiming, hit the plateau Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-17 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Swiming, hit the plateau
I started with triathlon training in November. Over the winter I swam a lot, and I improved a lot. In February I had 1500 m race and I finished in 25:13 min. Back in November I could probably swim that distance in around 32-33 min. But since that race I didn't improve. Actually my times are getting slower. Few days ago I swam 750 m in 13 min. I think that my technique is getting better and I can't find the reason for stagnation. Did anyone experience something similar?

2006-05-17 9:43 AM
in reply to: #426167

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Swiming, hit the plateau
I've experienced something similar. The rate of improvement is significant when learning a new skill. Once a good level of proficiency is obtained, further gains are harder to come by.

A few thoughts come to mind:

1) most people improve in plateaus then gains, plateaus then gains, etc. Improvement is rarely linear.

2) Are your swim workouts the same? You may need to ratchet up your workouts to develop more gains. Perhaps consider a "swim week" when you put up a lot of yardage. Thats one method that college teams use.

3) Good luck, and keep swimming!
2006-05-17 9:53 AM

User image

over a barrier
Something to keep in mind, you were racing those 1500 m and you were swiming the 750 m. You won't see race times while training..its just not the same enviroment.

Add some speed sets / intense sets..not just constant swimming.
2006-05-17 10:01 AM
in reply to: #426190

User image

Regular
running2far - 2006-05-17 4:53 PM

Something to keep in mind, you were racing those 1500 m and you were swiming the 750 m. You won't see race times while training..its just not the same enviroment.

Add some speed sets / intense sets..not just constant swimming.

I was also racing 750 m.
2006-05-17 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Seattle, California

I think that you reach a point in all 3 sports where just putting in the time isn't enough. That point comes much quicker to some then others. I'm experiencing the same thing with my swimming. I made huge leaps and bound early on and now I'm not seeing that much. You just can't sustain that initial improvement in fitness that long. I wish it worked that way though. I'd be running 3min/mi but the end of the summer if I kept up the rate of improvement I saw when I start in Jan .

Also I think when you start to workout, you are coming from very little fitness, so even if you take some time off it's hard to loose any fitness really, because you had none to start. Then as you have been training for a while you are so used to coninually improving that when you take time off and have fitness to lose and you lose it, it's a bit of a shock. I just took 2 weeks off of swimming after training for swimming 3 days a week and for the first time I felt noticably slower then in previous workouts. Have you taken any time off lately or not kept up with training at the same rate?

Sorry that was a little long winded. Just keep with it and be consistant with your training and I'm sure you'll get back there and even exceed your previous PR.

Oh one more thing I just thought of. If you've been consistant with your training I've read that mixing things up so you aren't doing the same type of workout week in week out can help shock the muscles and get things going again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swiming, hit the plateau Rss Feed