General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retul vs F.I.S.T Fitting options Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-13 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: Retul vs F.I.S.T Fitting options

I've got the option to do either here locally for a new (hopefully) tri bike this spring.  Any thoughts on one fitting process vs the other?

All else being equal, the retul guy did a road bike refitting for me that worked out very well, and it sounds like if I buy my bike through him he might be able to help me out a bit on the price...

2012-03-13 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4094867

User image

Loves Park
Subject: RE: Retul vs F.I.S.T Fitting options
I was just fit two weeks ago through the Retul process. I like it quite a bit and really like my fit, however I have nothing to compair it to...
2012-03-13 6:03 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

These two things aren't comparable. It is like trying to convert pounds to decibels. Different things.

Retul is a motion capture/video analysis technology that is adapted/developed for analyzing bike fit and position. In the right hands it is especially good at revealing opportunities to improve pedalling efficiency and identifying factors during the pedal stroke that may contribute to discomfort and reduce efficiency.

F.I.S.T. or the Fit Institute of Slowtwitch is Dan Empfield's school on triathlon specific and now, road bike fit and positioning. Empfield invented the triathlon bike as we know it today, along with the stack and reach method of measuring and equalizing bike dimensions and fit data.

F.I.S.T. teaches fitters where a rider needs to be on a bike, how they should be positioned in compliance with the ideas behind the design of the first triathlon bikes and how to practically select the optimal bike based on X and Y coordinates in the real world. It is the single most useful set of fit protocols in the industry.

Ideally, a F.I.S.T. Certified fitter would be using a motion capture technology like Retul. Retul is the "tool" and F.I.S.T. is the "know-how".

If you had to make a choice between the two, Retul is only as good as the person using it. F.I.S.T. trains to a universal standard of competency in triathlon (and now) road bike fit. If a fitter is current and proficient in their F.I.S.T. methodology it means they are a competent fitter. Even a great moton capture system like Retul doesn't make an inexperienced fitter an experienced one.

2012-03-13 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

All depends on the individual fitter and how well 1. you communicate what you want (ie priorities) and 2. how well he interprets what you are saying. 

Fits are dynamic and based on feedback from the rider. It's not like they put you on the bike, take measurements and say, BOOM, you are "fit" perfect. They take all kinds of things into consideration and then add in their "expertise"...this is where the fits will diverge from fitter to fitter.....no matter what system they use.

That's why most riders fits change over time as they first learn what they like and then make adjustments as they go.

2012-03-13 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Thanks for the replies, I didn't know I wasn't comparing apples to apples. So, should I spend some time evaluating the individual fitters? Or maybe stick with the FIST fitting to start and maybe have someone with a rerun machine look at me down the road and see what kind of tweaks can ba made? Assuming the Retul guy knows his stuff (he seems to but honestly I don't have much of a basis for comparison) would it be a bad idea to have a Retul fitting done right off the bat? I've been riding a roadie for about three years now, but this would be my first tri bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retul vs F.I.S.T Fitting options Rss Feed