General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy learning to swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-14 9:05 AM

Subject: New guy learning to swim
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life. I've raced cars, competed in a bodybuilding contest, done competitive BBQ and run a few running events. So Triathlon is the new challenge. At 48 its not as easy as I would like but I'm making the attempt.

Like many others I never learned to swim properly so now that has changed. I have a swim coach and today I finally did a 50 with bilateral breathing. Pretty happy with that. All that weight lifting when I was young is not helping but I'm going to slim things down and do this.

Haven't signed up for an event yet but have a few on the radar. Since my swim is so weak I'm trying to decide how good I need to be before I really sign up for something. Thanks and wish me luck.

Gary

2012-03-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4095764

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: New guy learning to swim

Welcome, I too am a recovering gymrat.  I'm 50 and taking my 1st swim lesson today.  Like U, I don't know when my 1st Tri will be because of the swimming, not crazy about drowning but go ahead and sign up for some dualathons and running races in the mean time.

BTW, U can serve BBQ any time!  isn't that one of the 5 major food groups

2012-03-14 10:21 AM

User image

San Diego, CA

Congrats and welcome to both of you on this thread!

My advice, sign up for a sprint distance in June or July.  It will give you a goal to shoot for and also keep you sticking to your training.  3-4 months is plenty of time to get yourselves in shape to swim a 750!

Best of luck!

2012-03-14 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC

I'd go ahead and sign up for a race mid-summer. That should give you time to get comfortable with your swim. I would also encourage you to practice open water swimming prior to your first tri. OWS is a totally different experience than pool swimming.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

2012-03-15 7:55 AM

Thanks all. I'm seriously thinking of signing up for a sprint on June 30. Maybe its time.
2012-03-16 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Welcome to BT! I learned to swim for the first time in my life late in October 2011. I signed up for a tri with the shortest swim possible and it got me really determined to be able to swim the distance. My tri is in July and I'm happy to say that a week ago, I swam 1600 yds (just 50 yds shy of a "swimmer's mile") all freestyle, non stop! I'm ready to go the distance, now I'm gonna work on speed. It can be done! Sign up for something in the summer and go to the pool 3 or 4 times a week (I tried for 4 most of the time, went only 3 sometimes) and you'll be ready for a 1/3 mile swim easy! Best of luck with training.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New guy learning to swim Rss Feed