General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard intervals and pulling on peroneal tendon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-15 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Hard intervals and pulling on peroneal tendon

Why are long hard intervals pulling on my peroneal tendon? My cuboid bone was sore last week and my PT massaged my peroneal tendon and did some trigger points with it.  I was fine for the last 4 days but now its back since I did another hard interval.  I think this must be causing it.  I didn't have a problem before but only when I started increase the intervals above 30 minutes total per session.  Any clues on why its doing this?  Its only in one leg/foot.

2012-03-15 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4098130

Subject: RE: Hard intervals and pulling on peroneal tendon

I have constant issues with my peroneal tendon due to chronic ankle instability.   I think my pain stems from my femur angle due to excessive pronation.  Working on my PT to try and strengthen everything back up.

Ever have any serious sprains on that ankle?

2012-03-15 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

I've got something similar going on. I switched shoes to shoes with a lower heel-toe drop and I loved them for three weeks. Then, bam, peroneal tendon issues. It got much worse after I did intervals.

I've had a bad sprain in my OTHER ankle, 14 years ago. Nothing ever in this one.

2012-03-16 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Mine flairs up if I let my gastroc get too tight and start landing on the outside of my heel.  An added bonus is if I let my hip rotate slightly inwardly.  As a result of this my ankle wants to slide sideways on impact.  The only thing stopping it then is the peroneal muscle.

Relaxing my ankle muscles and giving a little flick to the peroneal muscle and anterior tibial muscle just before heel strike takes a little of the stress away.

2012-03-16 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I've had peroneal tendon flare ups ... but it's one of those subtle little injuries that I can usually run through. Certainly pay attention to it, but it tends to be easily managed for me which compares to what I've heard from a lot of my friends who've dealt with it.

The last time it popped up for me, I associated it with a very poor dress shoe I had purchased and had been wearing for a few weeks. So I think shoe choice is crucial ... don't try to fix what's not broken with shoes.

Aside from that incident, I've had it as an overuse (aggressive mileage increase) signal. I usually just back off for a week or two ... no speed ... and a lot of massage, and it'll clear up pretty easily. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard intervals and pulling on peroneal tendon Rss Feed