General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Question: Help With Left foot striking ground and digging in against run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-19 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Running Question: Help With Left foot striking ground and digging in against run

I have just started running outdoors now as the warm weather is here.  Over the winter, I've been running on my treadmill, everything at min. 2.0% grade.   I've been slowly moving from my heel to a mid strike over winter, and keeping a cadence of 180-182 spm.  A few weeks ago start to run on my fore foot and the transition was going nicely.  My first run outside, and when I began to run on my forefoot noticed that my left foot almost digs into the sidewalk, and actaully hits the ground moving forward.  Not a light touch to push off again.  Just the left foot. The right taps the ground and I'm off again. 

Is this something you've run into?  Are there any techniques or something I should be doing to help correct this?  I don't have issues with any muscles or weak points...maybe it's just bad form, and I'm not sure how to fix it.   It feels like I have to overexagerate my step to get around diggin the ball of my left foot into the ground.  And by that point I end up with a mid strike or even back to a heel strike.

Any pointers or help much appreciated.

2012-03-19 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4102344

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Running Question: Help With Left foot striking ground and digging in against run
Could be form/biomechanics. Could be muscle imbalance. Hard to say for certain.

Does it cause any issues? Can you change what happens by focusing on it? Is it every run?

Generally, if it's not causing issues, I don't get too worried about it. If you want to be 100%, you should check in with a physical therapist to verify everything. Otherwise, you could try doing some simple leg-based lifts to check for imbalances. Assuming you find something, you can work on it with strengthening exercises.

Otherwise, not real sure what more you can do, other than perhaps be aware of it and try to keep an eye on things for problems.
2012-03-19 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4102344

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Running Question: Help With Left foot striking ground and digging in against run
TheCrownsOwn - 2012-03-19 8:02 AM

...and actaully hits the ground moving forward. 

That's the part that would concern me.  It's really hard to say why you would be doing this without seeing you run.  I would not be surprised, though, if your hip flexors had something to do with it.  Maybe try doing some drills, such as these:

http://www.roguerunning.com/resources_articles_details.php?aid=64

Edited by Experior 2012-03-19 8:49 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Question: Help With Left foot striking ground and digging in against run Rss Feed