General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken or Not Broken - make your guess! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Broken or Not Broken - make your guess!
OptionResults
Broken4 Votes - [13.79%]
Bruised25 Votes - [86.21%]

2012-03-19 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Broken or Not Broken - make your guess!

Thought this might be fun, I'll give you the injury, you guess if it's broken or not. I'm having an xray done in a few hours, I'll post the result tonight.

I went out for a ride this weekend to test out the new wheels (I'll save that for another post) and got to the bottom of the first hill near my house when I realized I couldn't shift on the front derailleur. Doh! Thinking too much about shifting and not about moving....plop. Fell over. Didn't come down very hard at all, and landed evenly on my upper left arm and butt. Yes, the bike is fine. Got up, dusted off, noticed I'd hit my funny bone, but shook it off, all felt fine. Went the 200 yds back to the house, tuned the derailleur, and went back out for a beautiful ride, about an hour and a half or so. Still tingly in the fingers, a little weak in my left hand. Had full mobility, just a little dull around my elbow, but really nothing more than a 1 on a scale of 1-10.

Got home, went to change, and had some pain pulling my arm back at the elbow - could still flex all the way (straight arm), but couldn't bend all the way (thumb to shoulder). Looked in the mirror, no bruising, no swelling. Took an Advil, had some water. At this point, pain is maybe 2 on the 10 scale.

Two hours later, it HURTS. 8 out of 10. Can't see swelling, but I feel it - now can't extend my arm, forget bending it back. It's kinda locking into a 100 degree angle, with about 10 degrees of movement only in each direction. I have a sling, so I put it on and decided to wait overnight, loaded on the Advil, now icing every hour.

Next day (yesterday) it's no better. Kept on icing and taking Advil. Finally called the doc yesterday afternoon, who asked me to go get it x-rayed today. He didn't say either way that it was definitely a break or definitely a bruise...he felt the symptoms could go either way. So....your call. What say you?!?

2012-03-19 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4102978

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Broken or Not Broken - make your guess!
fisherman76 - 2012-03-19 12:54 PM

Thought this might be fun, I'll give you the injury, you guess if it's broken or not. I'm having an xray done in a few hours, I'll post the result tonight.

I went out for a ride this weekend to test out the new wheels (I'll save that for another post) and got to the bottom of the first hill near my house when I realized I couldn't shift on the front derailleur. Doh! Thinking too much about shifting and not about moving....plop. Fell over. Didn't come down very hard at all, and landed evenly on my upper left arm and butt. Yes, the bike is fine. Got up, dusted off, noticed I'd hit my funny bone, but shook it off, all felt fine. Went the 200 yds back to the house, tuned the derailleur, and went back out for a beautiful ride, about an hour and a half or so. Still tingly in the fingers, a little weak in my left hand. Had full mobility, just a little dull around my elbow, but really nothing more than a 1 on a scale of 1-10.

Got home, went to change, and had some pain pulling my arm back at the elbow - could still flex all the way (straight arm), but couldn't bend all the way (thumb to shoulder). Looked in the mirror, no bruising, no swelling. Took an Advil, had some water. At this point, pain is maybe 2 on the 10 scale.

Two hours later, it HURTS. 8 out of 10. Can't see swelling, but I feel it - now can't extend my arm, forget bending it back. It's kinda locking into a 100 degree angle, with about 10 degrees of movement only in each direction. I have a sling, so I put it on and decided to wait overnight, loaded on the Advil, now icing every hour.

Next day (yesterday) it's no better. Kept on icing and taking Advil. Finally called the doc yesterday afternoon, who asked me to go get it x-rayed today. He didn't say either way that it was definitely a break or definitely a bruise...he felt the symptoms could go either way. So....your call. What say you?!?

Gee this sounds familiar to me today!  Did you try scotch? Worked for me.

What happens when you press on the bone? Since this is a poll, I vote for bruise.

2012-03-19 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Bursa sac injury - not on your poll so I voted for "bruise"
2012-03-19 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4103010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-03-19 12:09 PM

What happens when you press on the bone? Since this is a poll, I vote for bruise.

Nothing happens when I press on the bone. For what it's worth, I personally doubt it's broken, but I've only broken a bone once, and it was done in spectacular fashion (shattered, required major surgery) so I can't draw on that too much to compare it to. I did NOT try scotch, not a bad idea. Should I rub it directly onto the elbow?

2012-03-20 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Winner is.....no break! Huzzah!

I'll be right as rain in 2 weeks says the doc. No swimming til then, and advised to stay off roads on the bike (he was skeptical of the trainer, but admitted it sounds pretty inocuous on the arms).

Thanks!

2012-03-20 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4103149

User image

Pro
fisherman76 - 2012-03-19 2:05 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-03-19 12:09 PM

Nothing happens when I press on the bone. For what it's worth, I personally doubt it's broken, but I've only broken a bone once, and it was done in spectacular fashion (shattered, required major surgery) so I can't draw on that too much to compare it to. I did NOT try scotch, not a bad idea. Should I rub it directly onto the elbow?

Glad to hear it's not broken. Ice goes on the elbow, not the scotch. Look on the label, I'm sure it says "For Internal Use Only."

2012-03-20 11:52 PM

User image

Veteran
No obvious swelling means no break. Broken bones are pretty much always accompanied by very obvious swelling within a couple hours max.
2012-03-21 12:24 AM

User image

Pro
Did you not play hockey growing up in Conn??  We all busted our elbows.....never broken...but you couldn't tell by looking at them.  One of mine is still deformed. Laughing
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken or Not Broken - make your guess! Rss Feed