General Discussion Race Reports! » Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 42m 6s
Overall Rank = 97/462
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep especially well. Woke up a few times and finally gave up at 4:19. I was staying with my aunt and uncle who live on Wrightsville Beach, right across the street from the 2 mile marker. Rolled out of bed and walked upstairs for breakfast. Ate my typical race morning breakfast, a banana with cinnamon, peanut butter, and honey in a whole wheat tortilla with a glass of skim mile with Nesquik powder. Got dressed, and waited for Erin and Brian to get ready. Brian and I were both running the full, and Erin was running the half. A few other people from home were running the half as well, so we waited for them at the house and walked over to the park to start.
Event warmup:

Some light stretching and a short walk to the park for the start. Tried to find the 3:30 pace group, but it was nowhere to be found.
Run
  • 3h 42m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Rich, who was running the half, and I were both planning to run about an 8:00/mi pace, so we ran together for the first three miles. The pace got a little quick for Rich, so he dropped back and I continued on. Around mile 4, I tucked in behind a couple that was averaging about 7:42/mile. I ran with them for 10 miles before I started to drop back. By this time, I was on my first short loop through Landfall and heading toward mile 15. After my second short loop, I was definately feeling it in my legs. I was heading for mile 20, and I passed by the road where my other aunt and uncle live. My aunt was out at the curb cheering me on, which was a great boost to my morale. I had plenty of energy, but my legs were starting to feel the effects of twenty miles of pounding and sweating. Around 20.5 miles in, I took a very short walking break. After about 50yds, I began running again. Another guy and I turned onto Military Cutoff for the last time and were side by side. We ran that way until mile 22, when we both walked the aid station. I started running again after the aid station and turned into Mayfaire. When I turned the corner to run the out and back section of the course, it was like the wheels came off. My pace dropped significantly, and I was reduced to a run/walk pattern. I still ran most of it, but I almost feel like walking would've been faster. I began cramping at this point, and I was just ready to be finished. As I got to the last roundabout, I quickened my pace a bit and told my legs to shut-up. I was determined to finish strong. I kept running, and still passed a few people even though my pace was a lot slower than normal. When I turned the corner and saw the finish line, I heard Eric cheering me on, and I ran past a couple more people to finish with my arms thrust in the air. After having to skip last year's race due to an issue with my IT band, this was a truly incredible moment for me.
What would you do differently?:

This was my first marathon, so as soon as I crossed the finish line, I started thinking about what I could have done differently. For one, I could have planned out nutrition better. On my training runs, I wore my Fuel Belt, and drank mostly HEED. I chose not to wear my belt for this race, and just drank the provided Gatorade. Next time, I'll stick with what works. I think my cramping wouldn't have been as bad if I had used HEED and eaten a few more gels. I also think that training on hills spoiled me. Running hills stretches my legs out and keeps me fresh longer, but the flat nature of this course allowed very little oportunity for me to stretch out on downhills. I also think that a 22 or 23 mile training run would benefit me as well. The last 6.2 were brutal, and I think that a longer run in training would definately help out. Overall, I'm really happy with this performance. I was aiming for 3:30, but 3:42:06 is still respectable, and now I have something to build on for next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Eric to get my bottle of Recoverite, and stretched as best I could while standing in the massage line. Ate pizza, pretzels, drank three sodas(my first since my thru-hike of the AT), drank my Recoverite and a G3, and some free beer. Sat in a chair while I ate, but walked around a bit after Brian finished. Was definately sore and needed to replace electrolytes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition, humidity, lack of hills, and probably weight too.

Event comments:

Awesome race! Set-Up did a great job! Wrightsville Beach is such a great venue for this event. Excited to see if I can improve at my next marathon.

Last updated: 2011-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
03:42:06 | 26.2 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/30
Overall: 97/462
Performance: Good
Course: Race began on Wrightsville Beach, rounding the island and heading over the bridge into Wilmington. The course hit Military Cutoff and ran a couple of miles before turning into Landfall. We did a loop around Landfall before going back out to Military Cutoff and back into Landfall. We did two loops of the northern half of Landfall and then ran through the rest of Landfall before running back up Military Cutoff and into the Mayfaire shopping center. We passed by the finish line once, before heading along a 1.5 mile out and back, and then around the shopping center to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-03-20 4:13 PM

Haw River, NC
Subject: Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon

2012-03-20 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4105411

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon

Great first marathon! Don't worry too much about the cramping...the weather was a little warm for a run this distance and it was inevitable that would happen if you were not constantly replenishing fluids/electrolytes. 

Congrats on your finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon Rss Feed