General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit required to swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-18 9:12 PM

New user
Rockford, Illinois
Subject: Wetsuit required to swim?
I just received an email about the tri I am doing this saturday, and in it they said they may shorten the swim and/or make wetsuits mandatory. If you don't have a wetsuit then you have to do the duathlon. Do they have the power to forbid you too swim if you don't have a wetsuit? I don't have one and I'm not going to rent one.

If I really have to have a wetsuit to swim can I:
A) Just line up in my tri outfit and hope no one says anything.
B) Put on a set of black coolmax long underwear and hope no one notices.
C) Line up to swim and if they give me crap I can just cover up my number until I hit the water.

No I don't have an extra $40 to rent one, and the reason I want to do the swim part so bad is because if I don't then this will not be my first tri.

dan

2006-05-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: #427835

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Wetsuit required to swim?

Did they give a reason for it?  Also, how long is the swim supposed to be and what temperature is the water if you know?  That stinks as most first timers don't have a wetsuit.

2006-05-18 9:27 PM

User image

Expert

And they are just telling you this now after you paid your money?  That's just not right.

Edited by oceanannie 2006-05-18 9:28 PM
2006-05-18 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Can they forbid you swimming without a wetsuit?

The simple answer is yes....

The reasons are simple... they involve liability and safety.

If I really have to have a wetsuit to swim can I:
A) Just line up in my tri outfit and hope no one says anything.
B) Put on a set of black coolmax long underwear and hope no one notices.
C) Line up to swim and if they give me crap I can just cover up my number until I hit the water.

A) NO
B) NO
C) NO

NO to all your not so smart options....

I don't know any other way to say this... but, your position regarding this issue is pretty self-centered.

The reason rules regarding mantatory wetsuits for waters below a certain temperature exist are not for any particular persons benifit. They are designed to protect the sport and it's future. They are designed to not only provide a safe race... but, it is to allow for future races to be insurable. Injury or death as a result of the organizers failure to limit participation for obvious extreme conditions opens those involved (sponsors, volunteers and organizers) for potential liability.

I am not sure what your experience level is with regard to open water swimming in cold water, but based on your post... it can't be very much. Hypothermia and potential drowning are very real possibilities when it comes to cold water. I totally understand your disappointment, but what I don't understand is your thoughts of trying to circumvent rules designed to keep the sport a viable event.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2006-05-18 10:11 PM
2006-05-18 10:07 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Well, the race directors can pretty much do anything, especially if it's the name of safety - sounds like if they're considering shortening the swim and/or requiring wetsuits, the water may be at a temperature that could be considered borderline dangerous if you went in w/out a wetsuit for the full distance.
2006-05-18 10:10 PM
in reply to: #427840

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Most Triathlons are not obligated to return money based on events that are beyond there control... in fact, most have policies of - NO REFUNDS - period.

The cost of putting on a triathlon remains constant whether or not weather permits the race to occur... therefore, I and many fully understand a no refund policy.

FWIW Joe Moya

2006-05-18 10:35 PM

User image

over a barrier
I think he is doing Galena 660yder...the water is currently 59 degress....that would be very chilly without it....I remember reading about the race almost always being mandatory for a wetsuit..a couple of years ago they canceled the swim entirely.

They said you could switch to the DU...
2006-05-18 11:49 PM

Veteran
Ames IA
They also canceled the swim at the collegiate nationals and turned it into a du. I agree that it sucks and the race organizers knowing the time of year should advertise the possiblity of wetsuit requirements when they posted the race. Shame on them. However having said that, I fully believe this to be a good rule if it is for the safety of the swimmer. You may be an astounding swimmer but this rule is more for the MOP and BOP. Having to save someones life during a swim can be taxing on any water rescue person. The possibility of haveing to save multiple people at the same time is a disaster situation.
2006-05-19 12:06 AM
in reply to: #427897

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Actually, I've noticed that hypothermia will usually strike two categories the worse:

The Pro's,Elites or best of FOP... AND ...the extreme/slowest BOP.... swimmers

Two observations:

One - Thinner people suffer from body heat loss sooner.
Two - Slower swimmers because of exposure time.

The MOP's typically have the least problems.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2006-05-19 12:06 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit required to swim? Rss Feed