General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-10 10:42 PM

Subject: Hi
Well, I've been looking around for a while figured...what the heck! Right now I'm at the stage where I just can't seem to stick with it, I've never been much of an athlete (although I'm not couch potato).

My "problem" (besides the snooze button) is that I work 45-50 hours + per week with a nasty commute. My schedule changes alot... making it tough to keep a consistent schedule for anything else. Any advice would be welcome!

2004-06-10 10:50 PM
in reply to: #30643

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: Hi
That's a tough problem, with a tough commute.  Best I can give would be to make arraingments to train where you work....  Good luck!
2004-06-10 11:17 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  You have to plan those workouts - put it in the daytimer.  Or get up early.  It's tough to workout after work, after a long commute!

Good luck!  any races planned?

2004-06-11 12:12 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
That is a tough problem. Does your place of employment have a workout facility? Or is there a gym nearby that you could workout on your lunch hour or after work? Any chance of cutting back on work hours? I know that sounds drastic but your health might be worth it in the long run. Good luck and keep trying to fit those workouts in...you'll be better for it!! Keep checking back in here for encouragement too. This is a great place for it!
2004-06-11 12:36 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Welcome our group.... About 6 years ago, after 5 years of commuting almost two hours a day, I set my goal on January 1 to "fix" my commute by the end of the year. It didn't matter if we moved closer, or got a different job, the late night meetings and commuting was killing me. By July, I had applied for (and offered/accepted) a new job, only 12 miles from my house, at about a 25% pay increase. If I hadn't written down the goal, I probably never would have even applied for the new job, and I would still be grinding up and down the highway.

I'm still pretty busy, with usually two night meetings a week - so my solution is 4:00 AM, Mondays and Fridays, and usually try to squeeze in a run or bike ride on the weekend.

I have also gotten much better at taking my runnning stuff with me just about everywhere - even on vacations. At first my wife thought I was nuts, but some of my best runs have been on vacation (new scenery, etc).

Good luck,

Dennis
2004-06-11 7:51 AM

Thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately there is no place to work out at my work....(unless you count the Curves around the corner...) and what's a lunch hour? Maybe I'm just making excuses, but summer is our busy season so finding time during the work day...not really possible.

As far as finding a job closer....I'd love that and have a possibility of transfering sometime in the near future. The catch 22 for me there is that although the hours are tough and make having a life difficult (but not impossible) this is the first job I've had in a while that didn't make me completely miserable, but that's another story.

The good news is I acctually dragged my carcass out of bed this a.m. at about 6 (I am not a moring person at all ) went for a 30minute walk/jog and swam for a bit. Since all I have right now is a suit, a pair of goggles, and a pair of sneakers the biking is going to have to wait.

As far as any planned races I set my goal for 2005 (of course that was last year and I've not done a whole lot to attain it since then). I even wrote a letter to myself to be opened next summer. However, regerstered I have not! Maybe if I forked over the money to somebody that would help get me more motivated!

:-)

Edited by GDawg 2004-06-11 7:57 AM

2004-06-11 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Welcome to the site! Is it possible to work out at/near your work? Maybe on the lunch hour? I did that for a while and it helped a bit with scheduling. Good luck with your training!

Kelly
2004-06-11 3:55 PM

New user
Royal Oak, Michigan
Hi there... I work a lot of hours too (plus have two teenager daughters at home). When I started training, I hated getting out of my bed early... but now I hate it if I don't. I get up at 5:30 and workout for an hour before I hit the shower. I swim at night with a master's swim team and bike on the weekends. Its a matter of getting in the "habit". It takes awhile, but once your used to it... you love it!!! Good Luck.
2004-06-11 10:13 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Could you ride to work, and do you have time for a swim durning lunch or after work?  Is there a swimming facility near your work?
2004-06-12 12:40 PM

Riding to work is a great suggestion....although I have to confess, it made me LOL. (considering I don't have a bike at the mo....) maybe after I've been at it awhile I will go for it. (right now the thought of riding a bike to work when it takes me 35-45 minutes by car is too scarey )

I've looked around before to see if there's a Y or something for swimming close to my work....gotta get back on that.

All the suggestions for using my lunch break are great too, but I count myself really lucky if I ever acctually get an hour for lunch. (I work with kids and they are with us all day long). It's often dark out by the time I get off work and I'm not keen on running or biking in unfamiliar territory in the dark.

I think ultimately I'm just going to have to suck it up and get over the I"m not a morning person thing. I just would like to be able to make it past a month of being consistant. That's usually my breaking point.

Edited by GDawg 2004-06-12 12:43 PM
2004-06-18 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Yeah working out after work is really tough, if your job will allow maybe you can find a gym or fitness center near work and work something out to do some of your training first thing when you get to the area or during work.

2004-06-19 4:35 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-spot!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi Rss Feed