General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flying Mount and Cycling Shoe Tightness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-22 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
Subject: Flying Mount and Cycling Shoe Tightness

When you do your flying mounts and strap in to your cycling shoes, are you able to strap in tight enough wherein you feel that all the power is transferred to the pedals?  I had to ask because when I strap in, the shoes have to be really tight and after the ride, they end up looser than when I initially strapped in. 

When you're already on the bike and strapping in, would it be more difficult to get the shoes tight?  Also, what do you think about having the shoes on the bike then after the mount line you stop on the curb and take the shoes off and put it on.  I know it's counter intuitive but how much time are you losing really?  I have very slow transitions by the way.  If I cut off 1 min off each transition, I could probably jump 4 places up my age group which doesn't really matter since I'm not podium level (yet) but would like to improve my times.

2012-03-22 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4108449

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Flying Mount and Cycling Shoe Tightness

When you do your flying mounts and strap in to your cycling shoes, are you able to strap in tight enough wherein you feel that all the power is transferred to the pedals?  

Yup. Takes practice, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of.

When you're already on the bike and strapping in, would it be more difficult to get the shoes tight?

No.

Also, what do you think about having the shoes on the bike then after the mount line you stop on the curb and take the shoes off and put it on.

You need to mount at the mount line. Put your shoes on in transition and run with them if you prefer to not have your shoes pre-clipped-in.

2012-03-22 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

"Also, what do you think about having the shoes on the bike then after the mount line you stop on the curb and take the shoes off and put it on."

Honestly, I just don't see that saving you that much time over jogging with your bike shoes on through T1 and mounting at the line.

2012-03-22 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Houston
arkmann - 2012-03-22 12:07 PM

When you do your flying mounts and strap in to your cycling shoes, are you able to strap in tight enough wherein you feel that all the power is transferred to the pedals?  I had to ask because when I strap in, the shoes have to be really tight and after the ride, they end up looser than when I initially strapped in. 

When you're already on the bike and strapping in, would it be more difficult to get the shoes tight?  Also, what do you think about having the shoes on the bike then after the mount line you stop on the curb and take the shoes off and put it on.  I know it's counter intuitive but how much time are you losing really?  I have very slow transitions by the way.  If I cut off 1 min off each transition, I could probably jump 4 places up my age group which doesn't really matter since I'm not podium level (yet) but would like to improve my times.

When I do a "rolling mount" (No one would accuse me of flying) I usually get both feet in quickly, then tighten them again a minute later.

The first is just making sure I'm in enough to be safe, the second is about adding power.

I would NOT leave the shoes clipped in if you are not doing a flying mount, removing them from the bike by hand isn't always easy.  I sometimes strap the shoes over the top bar, and I might do that then put them on near the mount line.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flying Mount and Cycling Shoe Tightness Rss Feed