General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOT- Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-19 10:11 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: HOT- Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon

being a sucker for hot guys in uniform, the cheap race fee, small race (well, last year was small), and the possibility of getting to start in the FIRST wave, and doing a race entirely on a military installation....    this looks really good to me.   But...  someone tell me about the lake.  The website says it's

"The swim will be in Kingsley lake which is one of the state's pristine waterways (i.e no salt water and no sharks!) and usually very smooth for a fast race."

And there's also the possiblity of lodging on base.... ah, memories of the old single partying days on base in Biloxi/Gulfport... dating my husband in his Navy days.  

I wonder if we could stay in someone's garage???   hint, hint.....

now, someone please tell me about this lake.  I've only been in one lake and it was, well, nasty.  Not a big fan of lakes.

2006-05-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: #428162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HOT- Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon
Don't know how to gauge the quality of guys in uniform for ya..not my thing. Actually, it's a Guard base and there aren't a whole lot of people on it usually. There should be an option to stay on base; I haven't checked into it because it's an easy drive from here. I think there are some small cottages lakeside, which should be nice. I think there's a contact for Cecil Cauley (organizer) on the web site.

It was very hot last year; the race is appropriately named. The aid stations were great though; iced sponges, etc. Last year we had a JROTC (I think) group volunteering and they were awesome! Cheering, running along with us..lots of fun. My wife and daughters will probably volunteer again as well.

The lake is beautiful. Clear water, excellent visibility, calm..hard to find a nicer swim. The bike is entirely on the base and has a gentle roller or two, no real hills. Roads are somewhat rough in a few spots. The run goes around the edge of the lake and up and down a couple of hills.

Come on and do it!

2006-05-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: #428464

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: HOT- Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon
What's wrong with tri guys in uniforms?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOT- Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed