General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-24 1:27 PM

User image

New user
Albuquerque
Subject: Gout
Ive been doing triathlon for about a year now. Mostly sprints so far, I've got a few sprints, an only and 70.30 planned for the year. I've lost 25 pounds and am heathier than I've been in a while. I eat pretty well and track most everything I eat. Since January I've had two bouts of Gout. I'm wondering if anybody has had this issue. I usually a eat a Clif Bulder bar with 20g of protein everyday and have a whey protein shake with with 25g of protein a few days a week. Wondering if this causes the gout. The gout seems to come out of nowhere and nothing in my diets seems to be the cause. It's frustrating as hell, keeps me from traing for few days each time it happens. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

2012-03-24 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4111295

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Subject: RE: Gout

Your kidneys are not cleaning the uric acid as they should, you should try not eating any starchy food for a while. No bread, pasta, rice or potatoes, it will help your kidneys and should help get rid of your extra uric acid.

Worked for me in the past, now I only eat starchy food on occasions and it has not returned in over a year. I saw improvements after two weeks of no starch.

2012-03-24 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
I have no idea if this will help you: A friend of mine knows his triggers are the following: things in the lentil family (his words, I don't really know which beans that would mean), too much red meat, and shellfish. I don't know much about gout, but in his experience, those foods are what bring it on. Maybe different people have different triggers?
2012-03-24 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
indiana
My trigger is/was dark colored pop. Weird but true. Had two bouts with gout about 6 years ago. Cut out pop an been gout free ever since. Coffee is no problem (for gout at least).
They talk about low purine diets, cut out shrimp, red meat, and asparagus. But I like all that.

Gout is known as a kings disease. Kings would do nothing but sit around and eat rich foods and get gout. Exercise will help. Maybe cut out beer for a bit? Drink cherry juice.
2012-03-24 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4111386

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

ditchmedic - 2012-03-24 4:12 PM My trigger is/was dark colored pop. Weird but true. Had two bouts with gout about 6 years ago. Cut out pop an been gout free ever since. Coffee is no problem (for gout at least).
They talk about low purine diets, cut out shrimp, red meat, and asparagus. But I like all that.

Gout is known as a kings disease. Kings would do nothing but sit around and eat rich foods and get gout. Exercise will help. Maybe cut out beer for a bit? Drink cherry juice.

Yes, asparagus is also a trigger for my friend. I knew there was a veggie in there. He drinks cherry juice and lots of water.

Edited by GreenMtnLabbit 2012-03-24 3:20 PM
2012-03-24 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dehydration is a big trigger for a friend on mine. He's also big into cherries. Make sure you're getting a ton of water. Good luck.

2012-03-24 10:56 PM

User image

New user
Albuquerque
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying it figure out what my triggers are. Thanks for the heads up on de-hydration. I hadn't thought of that. I was telling my wife last night that I was feeling dehydrated. Maybe that's it. I hope so, gout is not fun. Hurts like hell. The meds the doc gave me work well, but it takes a few days.
2012-10-30 11:35 PM

New user

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience.  I am 40 and have been getting into 1/2 marathons and tris this year.  I've always had gout in my toe (controllable with some anti-inflammatories).  All of a sudden, I got a series of attacks on my whole foot.  Here's what the doctor advised and it makes sense:

1.  Give full time for recovery.  Gout likes to go where you are weak and where it's been before.  So if you start exercising as soon as you feel better but still sore, you will re-inflame the injury and it will be worse the second time (trust me!!!).

2.  Each time you have a flare up, it is weakening that joint - so get swelling under control IMMEDIATELY.  Don't try to be a hero and push through it.  Each time you have a prolonged attack you are doing more (irreparable, long term) damage to the area.  The pain is temporary; damage is not.

3.  Some people do not have foods or uric acid trigger outbreaks.  I am a vegetarian and still get it.

4.  Remember life is a full game - you don't want to try to push too hard and then be pulled out in the third quarter.  That might mean readjusting training and expectations.  Don't give up dreams and goals, but make one of your goals to be active well into old age - so that 70.3 could still be a go, but maybe you focus more on the swim and bike than the run for example.

Edited by Abb999 2012-10-30 11:36 PM
2012-10-31 12:14 AM

User image

Veteran

i use to get it every 4 -5 months but since ive lost weight (30kg) ive only had it once in 2 years and non in the last 12 months.

beer and tomato where my trigger

2012-10-31 10:14 AM

User image

New user
Michigan

I don't have gout, but I have a buddy who says alcohol is his biggest trigger.  I wondered if it was actually the resulting dehydration, but he says he stayed off alcohol for 2 months and exercised almost every day (and was certainly dehydrated at parts) and no bouts with gout.  He then drank a couple of nights in a row and was laid up by Monday. 

2012-10-31 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Animal products seem to have a significant connection to gout. The mayo clinic has some great dietary guidelines here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout-diet/MY01137

And there are many more resources on the web. Best of luck, it can't be fun. But persist in a super healthy diet via the guidelines, and I've heard it can make quite a difference.

2012-10-31 4:12 PM

User image

New user

I have gout.  Seen this when I go from off season to prime season eating. My doctor said a change in diet might trigger it, probably the purtines stored in my body being released.  Besides drinking water, avoiding beer (light color beer), wine, and apparacu.  I've done the cherry juice, which does help, but when an attack happens for me no ammount of cherry juice helps.  However, I notice that eating strawberries does keep it in check, read online it helps.  I think the acid in the strawberries breaks down the uric acid in the blood.  Ciritic acid in fruit helps.  I'm not a chemistry major, but I thought water won't dulute ph acid levels, which explains when I have an attack, drinking a bunch of water doesn't help.  Good luck..gout can take out 2 weeks of training.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gout Rss Feed