General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning Classes vs. Riding on the Road Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-26 12:20 PM

User image

New user
Austin
Subject: Spinning Classes vs. Riding on the Road

So my beautiful fantastic wife got me a 6 month membership to the Austin Jewish Community Center.  It's a really cool fitness center, running track, heated outdoor pool, gym, just an overall very nice place to work out and train.  Plus it's right next to our office.

My question is this.  They have spinn classes throught the week and I'm thinking of taking a few of them, probably Monday's and Wednesdays.  I've never taken a spinn class before, and have just started riding again after a 5 month bike layoff.  I'd planned to work up to 5 days of riding a week and max out a long ride at about 80-90 miles in August & September for my first HIM (Kerrville Tri) last weekend of Sept.  Will the spinn classes really help with the overall bike fitness?  Can it make you faster on the road?  Most classes are just 1hr or 45/50 min.

How would you fit spinning classes into a HIM training program?  I haven't found a plan yet that I want to do, but I was thinking of starting a semi-formal plan in late May. I'm doing the Texas Tri Series that ends with the Kerrville Tri on Sept 30th, so I'm thinking maybe a 16-20 week plan?

2012-03-26 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4113557

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Spinning Classes vs. Riding on the Road

Yep, it absolutely will help your bike conditioning.

The best training you can get is on your bike, but the second best in my opinion is spin class.  It's almost always some types of intervals so as long as you push yourself and don't be a sally on the resistance you can get a heck of a workout.

I'd even go so far as say that I often get a better workout in spin than I do on my bike because I push myself so hard and really get into the class.

As far as working it into your workout I just count it as 60 minutes on the bike and approximate the mileage at 20 miles.  So just work it in on your bike days.

2012-03-26 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4113624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

See below.  That is the main reason why spinning class kicks butt.  The least you should be doing is spinning.

tuwood - 2012-03-26 12:54 PM

I'd even go so far as say that I often get a better workout in spin than I do on my bike because I push myself so hard and really get into the class.

2012-03-26 1:17 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I like spin classes for motivation and variety, but for me they do not equal the same workout as a ride on the road. In spin class I don't have to worry about balance, handling, cornering, wind, traffic, etc., and I don't have music or an instructor to help me on the road. The fit of a spin bike will also inevitably not "fit" you like your own bike, so there's a risk for tweaks you wouldn't get on the road. Just different workouts.

I see spin classes as mostly cardio workouts that mimic cycling a little bit. Not going to hurt your performance (unless you over-do it, which I have before) but IMO it's not a one-for-one substitute workout.

2012-03-26 2:39 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
two things to consider. i did only "spinnign" once a week for 8 weeks this winter and my first ride outside I felt fantastic...not at all like I'd taken 8 weeks off.

I led these classes and the efforts & intervals were very specific to outdoor riding. We did longish intervals in Zone 3/4 starting with 2 x 8 minute zone 3 efforts early on and building to 2 x 20 minute efforts over under Zone 4&5 by the last session. We did a little bit of sprinting (very little) and every other week or so did "hills" where I'd pick a song with a slightly lower cadence 60-80 (60 was pretty low...those were "steep hills") with the specific instruction to keep power output/heart rate or effort in Zone 4 while doing these lower cadence intervals.

IMO if the spin class is orgazined like that it's as good as outdoor ridign from a fitness only perspective. You still are missing the handling, balance, wind, aero, etc.

On the other hand if it's run by a non-cyclist, non-triathlete spinning/mad dog instructor, while some of them do good classes there is also a risk of just doing silly stuff because you can (hovering is a good example).
2012-03-26 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4113904

User image

Pro

AdventureBear - 2012-03-26 2:39 PM a risk of just doing silly stuff because you can (hovering is a good example).

I took a total of TWO spin classes....along with "hovering" the two instructors (idiots) were also big on "jumps".  Add the non-stop yapping over the music by 2 or 3 people in the class and I was done. I'll take riding the trainer in front of a big TV with some sporting event playing over that garbage any day.

ETA - I'm sure some poeple love them....I'm glad...it keeps them out of the pool while I'm there. Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2012-03-26 2:53 PM

2012-03-26 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4113904

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

AdventureBear - 2012-03-26 3:39 PM two things to consider. i did only "spinnign" once a week for 8 weeks this winter and my first ride outside I felt fantastic...not at all like I'd taken 8 weeks off. I led these classes and the efforts & intervals were very specific to outdoor riding. We did longish intervals in Zone 3/4 starting with 2 x 8 minute zone 3 efforts early on and building to 2 x 20 minute efforts over under Zone 4&5 by the last session. We did a little bit of sprinting (very little) and every other week or so did "hills" where I'd pick a song with a slightly lower cadence 60-80 (60 was pretty low...those were "steep hills") with the specific instruction to keep power output/heart rate or effort in Zone 4 while doing these lower cadence intervals. IMO if the spin class is orgazined like that it's as good as outdoor ridign from a fitness only perspective. You still are missing the handling, balance, wind, aero, etc. On the other hand if it's run by a non-cyclist, non-triathlete spinning/mad dog instructor, while some of them do good classes there is also a risk of just doing silly stuff because you can (hovering is a good example).

It sounds like Suzanne and I run our spin classes in a pretty similar fashion and I agree with everything she's said here.  However, I would like to add that it is important to focus on proper pedaling technique while using a spin bike.  The fly wheel can cause people to alter their stroke.  I have seen people develop dead spots in their stroke when get back their back after they spend all winter on a spin bike and not any time on their own bike.

2012-03-26 3:33 PM

User image

New user
Austin

Well it sounds it will pretty much only help with my cycling conditioning.  Since this will be my first "spinning" experiance I'm not sure what "jumping" or "hovering" or how to judge a class.  I do know that one of the areas Tri Groups does their swim training at the center, so maybe that spills over to the other classes.

I'm super excited about the whole thing, as this will be my first opportunity to incorperate, classes (spinning, swimming, etc), with regular tri training and strength training all in one spot.

I had planned to ride 5 days a week starting in June, so maybe I'll use two of these classes to the mix, or just add them ontop of the outdoor riding.

2012-03-26 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)

If you are wise you can position yourself in the spin class to get a workout and get some great visuals - much better than a basement ride on the trainer.

2012-03-26 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4114006

Master
mikecdisi - 2012-03-26 3:33 PM

Well it sounds it will pretty much only help with my cycling conditioning.  Since this will be my first "spinning" experiance I'm not sure what "jumping" or "hovering" or how to judge a class.  I do know that one of the areas Tri Groups does their swim training at the center, so maybe that spills over to the other classes.

I'm super excited about the whole thing, as this will be my first opportunity to incorperate, classes (spinning, swimming, etc), with regular tri training and strength training all in one spot.

I had planned to ride 5 days a week starting in June, so maybe I'll use two of these classes to the mix, or just add them ontop of the outdoor riding.

Don't worry - if you go hard in spin class, it's every bit as good as outdoor cycling as long as you're not a total beginner on bike handling.  You might not do any of the weird motions they sometimes do (like jumps, or one-handed stuff), but focus on hard efforts, and it's 100% legit. 

I would have no problems substituting spin classes for outdoor rides or trainer rides of similar duration and intensity, and infact, having others around can make it easier to motivate on those killer intervals that you'd otherwise dread doing. Even if the spin class is 'not hardcore' enough for you, you can make it that way by cranking up your own intensity, which is the best part of it. You have nobody but yourself to blame if it's not hard enough.

Embrace spinning. There's no problem at all with it. (I do them as often as I can, and otherwise ride with competitive road cyclists, and it has done nothing but help.)

Edited by agarose2000 2012-03-26 7:05 PM
2012-03-26 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4114318

Master
Northern IL
agarose2000 - 2012-03-26 7:04 PM  

Don't worry - if you go hard in spin class, it's every bit as good as outdoor cycling as long as you're not a total beginner on bike handling.  You might not do any of the weird motions they sometimes do (like jumps, or one-handed stuff), but focus on hard efforts, and it's 100% legit. 

I would have no problems substituting spin classes for outdoor rides or trainer rides of similar duration and intensity, and infact, having others around can make it easier to motivate on those killer intervals that you'd otherwise dread doing. Even if the spin class is 'not hardcore' enough for you, you can make it that way by cranking up your own intensity, which is the best part of it. You have nobody but yourself to blame if it's not hard enough.

Embrace spinning. There's no problem at all with it. (I do them as often as I can, and otherwise ride with competitive road cyclists, and it has done nothing but help.)

I agree. And if you have questions about any of the techniques they do, ask here. You'll get some good answers.

2012-03-26 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4113935

User image

Elite
far northern CA
PeakTriCoaching - 2012-03-26 12:55 PM

AdventureBear - 2012-03-26 3:39 PM two things to consider. i did only "spinnign" once a week for 8 weeks this winter and my first ride outside I felt fantastic...not at all like I'd taken 8 weeks off. I led these classes and the efforts & intervals were very specific to outdoor riding. We did longish intervals in Zone 3/4 starting with 2 x 8 minute zone 3 efforts early on and building to 2 x 20 minute efforts over under Zone 4&5 by the last session. We did a little bit of sprinting (very little) and every other week or so did "hills" where I'd pick a song with a slightly lower cadence 60-80 (60 was pretty low...those were "steep hills") with the specific instruction to keep power output/heart rate or effort in Zone 4 while doing these lower cadence intervals. IMO if the spin class is orgazined like that it's as good as outdoor ridign from a fitness only perspective. You still are missing the handling, balance, wind, aero, etc. On the other hand if it's run by a non-cyclist, non-triathlete spinning/mad dog instructor, while some of them do good classes there is also a risk of just doing silly stuff because you can (hovering is a good example).

It sounds like Suzanne and I run our spin classes in a pretty similar fashion and I agree with everything she's said here.  However, I would like to add that it is important to focus on proper pedaling technique while using a spin bike.  The fly wheel can cause people to alter their stroke.  I have seen people develop dead spots in their stroke when get back their back after they spend all winter on a spin bike and not any time on their own bike.

If you avoid moves that you would not do on your real bike outside, you will be fine.  "Jumps" and "hovers" are movements that have been dreamed up by aerobics instructors that happen to teach indoor cycling classes.  These movements are silly and potentially harmful.

Mad Dog Spinning is a great certification.  Unfortunately, aerobics instructors that are not cyclists are always trying to find ways to entertain the riders.  They do not abide by the safe training principles learned in the (short) Spinning Certification.

I am certified by Mad Dog.  I am a cyclist and triathlete.  My riders receive the same type of coaching in Spinning class that Suzanne is describing.  Each class is different.  Seek out the classes taught toward outdoor cyclists.  Have fun!

2012-03-26 11:46 PM
in reply to: #4114304

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
bananatoes - 2012-03-26 4:53 PM

If you are wise you can position yourself in the spin class to get a workout and get some great visuals - much better than a basement ride on the trainer.

Good thinking!  I have to stop sitting in the front of the class and giving the visuals to everyone else!

I am glad someone asked this question - I was wondering this myself.  I live in the PNW and haven't been out on a bike all winter - I have been doing spin classes - so we'll see how it feels when I hit the street.

2012-03-27 12:29 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I wasn't suggesting mad dog instructors were non-cyclists/non-triathletes. Mostly my point was to make sure that a cyclist / traithlete is teaching the class. mad dog is good fudamental instruction, but it's not the certification that makes a good instructor, it's the experience and background in real cycling that makes mad dog instructors great. adding the mad dog certification to bike racing or triathlon racing experience makes a really good combination.

Disclaimer: I'm not certified, but have nearly signed up twice, have read the entire manual and think it's a good course.
2012-03-27 12:55 AM
in reply to: #4114608

Spin has been a great training tool for me as beginner. Thanks to an accomplished cyclist running the classes and a large puddle of my sweat after each class. I learned proper spin so it is now second nature. How to pace/push myself and tolerate pain. I have done spin over two winters now. The first year my normal ride went from 17 mph before winter to 18 mph after. I picked up another mph last summer and got in my first good ride of the year last weekend. (I live in the PNW too). To my surprise I picked up another MPH. As a 53 year old beginner I am a believer. That said if the weather is tolerable and its light outside the last place you will find me is in spin class.
2012-03-27 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4113683

User image

Expert
Floriduh
lisac957 - 2012-03-26 1:17 PM

I like spin classes for motivation and variety, but for me they do not equal the same workout as a ride on the road ... I see spin classes as mostly cardio workouts that mimic cycling a little bit.

+1.  Great cardio workout but gotta get out on the bike too.

2012-03-27 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4114624

User image

Elite
far northern CA

AdventureBear - 2012-03-26 10:29 PM I wasn't suggesting mad dog instructors were non-cyclists/non-triathletes. Mostly my point was to make sure that a cyclist / traithlete is teaching the class. mad dog is good fudamental instruction, but it's not the certification that makes a good instructor, it's the experience and background in real cycling that makes mad dog instructors great. adding the mad dog certification to bike racing or triathlon racing experience makes a really good combination. Disclaimer: I'm not certified, but have nearly signed up twice, have read the entire manual and think it's a good course.

Smile

The Mad Dogg Spinning program is very good.  It's a shame that the orientation is so short.

I think that it is beneficial to have all indoor cycling instructors, whether they are real cyclists or not, be certified by one of the groups that offer indoor cycling certifications.  This way, management of ABC Gym (if they care) can take action in preventing silly and potentially injurious movements from infiltrating indoor cycling classes.

2012-03-27 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4116020

User image

Master
Gig Harbor

This way, management of ABC Gym (if they care) can take action in preventing silly and potentially injurious movements from infiltrating indoor cycling classes.

I am not sure about ABC Gym, but I can pretty much tell you that management of LA Fitness could care less.  I have been trying to get local management @ my gym to replace a broken scale for 4 months now.  Seems to me that all they care about is that I pay my monthly dues.  

2012-03-27 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I use to coach those classes, but not so much any more.  Spin is better than nothing, but there are some drawbacks:  First, it can teach you bad habits on the bike.  Second, some coaches (Teachers) don't use properly structured workouts in the class.  But like I said, better than nothing. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinning Classes vs. Riding on the Road Rss Feed