General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-16 8:38 PM

Subject: Nutrition
Hi again:

How can I curve my appetite and not be hungry all the time while I'm training? Even on my off day, I want to eat like a stevedore.

tricop

2003-11-17 6:12 AM
in reply to: #1780

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Nutrition
Good question. I have just been snacking on fruit. I am or at least never was much a big fruit eater, however I have started eating banana's and apples/applesauce quite a bit. I also snack on pretzles during the day at the office. I figure as long as I am not eating junk I should be ok. I did gain weight this week which was disappointing in some respect because of all the activitiy I have been doing. However, I was on a business trip last week and football game this past weekend when I let the routines slip.
2003-11-17 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1780

New user

Montreal, Canada
Subject: Get your motor running
Actually being hungry is not all that bad. It's your body's way of telling you that your metabollism is working for you.

First of all, let me point out a mistake that most people make. A lot of us confuses hunger with thirst. You should always have a bottle of water with you no mather where you are. You should keep hydrated at all cost. This has two huge impact. Your performance at your next race will be a lot better (you should not be concerned of proper hydration only on race day) and you will fill your stomach so you won't be what I like to call psychologically hungry.

Ok, once you have the hydration part down, here is the real key to not being hungry all the time....you have to eat all day long! Confusing? Well you should not really eat all day long, but every 3 hours. This is because your body digest most food in about 3 hours, and by eating every 3 hours you will avoid those glycemic crashes. Now what you eat is important. every one of your meals should contain protein and preferably lean proteins (chicken breast, tuna, egg whites...). And you can also include some sort of low glycemic index carb or complex carb. I tend to stick to vegetables.

The hole idea is to keep your metabolism reved up and working for you.

Hope this helps.
2003-11-17 7:56 AM
in reply to: #1787

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Get your motor running
Good advice Phil. Sounds familiar to BFL which is what I follow. I generally try to eat 6 meals a day every 2 1/2 to 3 hours with a lean protein and "good" carb and some vegetables a couple of times a day. Also, what you eat can greatly impact your hunger pains. If you eat a lot of sugar and processed foods, this can cause it. Try to drink a lot of water. I have between 1/2 to 1 gallon of water a day and that helps me.

What kind of training schedule are you on? You also have to be careful not to cut back food too much or you will go in starvation mode. Are you running out of energy during training?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Rss Feed