General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Q re replacing toe clips with clipless pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-31 9:16 PM

User image

Colorado
Subject: Q re replacing toe clips with clipless pedals

I have toe clips now and I really dislike them, but honestly, I'm a little freaked about clipless pedals. I don't know what I'm looking for in terms of pedals or shoes (and I'll of course head to my LBS) but I thought you all might have some guidance for me (or links to things I should read so I'm a little more educated when I walk into the LBS).

I'm in the midst of a complete love-affair with my bike...except for the toe clips! (Which are admittedly a hand-me down from one of my husband's road bikes). Please help!

2012-03-31 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4122718

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Q re replacing toe clips with clipless pedals
I don't have a ton of advice. I have SPD pedals on my Mtn bike, so I got the same for my road bike so I can wear my Mtn bike shoes on the road bike if I wanna walk around when I reach my destination.

My bro just got egg eaters on his roadbike and loves having four entry points, but that's not for me, two entry points is enough on a pedal, IMO.

My point is that you almost can't go wrong as long as it fits your budget.

Two things, though.
1. You will fall with bike attached. You probably won't get hurt because it happens whilst stopping or stopped or just going too slow.
2. You will wonder why you ever rode a bike without them.
2012-03-31 10:41 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
I promise clipless will be easier, safer and simpler. I started with SPD's, ride speedplays now-have for years love em.
2012-03-31 11:15 PM

User image

Seattle, WA

Look Keo pedals are good.   Sidi tri shoes are good. 

Yes I have fallen over a couple times when not able to unclip fast enough but IMO those horrible toe cages are far more dangerous.  

Practice clipping in and out a few times in an empty parking lot.  It gets easy very quickly.

2012-04-01 1:07 AM
in reply to: #4122800

User image

Colorado
allisonw - 2012-03-31 10:15 PM

Look Keo pedals are good.   Sidi tri shoes are good. 

Yes I have fallen over a couple times when not able to unclip fast enough but IMO those horrible toe cages are far more dangerous.  

Practice clipping in and out a few times in an empty parking lot.  It gets easy very quickly.

I fell over today with the evil toe clips. I jumped up horrified that I might have hurt my bike. ;-)

I'll look into Look Keo and SIDI...that's exactly the kind of info I need. I'm overwhelmed with the options in clipless systems and shoes (and overwhelmed at the price tags...ahhhhh!).

2012-04-01 2:12 AM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
I've ridden Shimano, Look and Speedplay pedals. For me, the speedplays have been the very best. I use Shimano road shoes and have a pair of Specialized TriVent tri shoes that I would never be without. In my opinion, those are the best tri shoes made...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Q re replacing toe clips with clipless pedals Rss Feed