General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about women trisuits/outfits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-21 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: Question about women trisuits/outfits
Hi newbie here.

I am wondering about trisuits, tri tops etc......do the women's outfits come with supports in them. As in, do we have to wear a sports bra underneath?

Also I'm doing a tri in August and it's going to be hot, hot, hot....what do you recommend to wear for a first timer? I thought about getting a trisuit but (I know this is way silly), I don't want to a buy a trisuit or even get a free Javelin trisuit because I'm afraid I might look a bit more professional than I am and will be embarrassed as I come running in close to last.

Yes, I need to work on my self-esteem. Do we have a board on that?

Thanks!

2006-05-21 9:49 PM
in reply to: #429314

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Question about women trisuits/outfits
Hi Sharon ~ first of all coming in last is so much better than not doing one at all ~ so that's one for the self esteem.

You certainly do not need to be a professional to wear a trisuit or any tri clothes......the majority of people doing triathlons are not professionals. The advantage to wearing tri specific clothing is just that it is made specifically for triathlons. The padding is minimal but effective...it drys quickly, seems are made in places to prevent chaffing. If your not comfortable in a trisuit then you might try some trishort and a top at first.....I promise you will be happy with the decision. If you want feel free to email me or pm me and I can help you choose something that will work well for your first tri make you comfortable, and even look like a triathlete.....after all you will be one...

Renee
2006-05-21 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
I guess it would depend on how well endowed you are. I have a few tri suits...I just recently got one off ebay for less than $10! I am thrilled with it - it is exactly what I have been wanting. On the two that I have, a Jam suit and a Danskin, the bra support is great. Don't worry about what other people think...I know I am one to talk, because I always feel a little self conscious in the Jam suit...it is lavender which is not something that I am really excited about wearing. I have also done races in tri shorts and bra...I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think about what you are wearing. You see everything out there!

The things that you should look for is
1. is it functional?
2. am I comfortablein it?
and for me....3. is the price right?

I hope this helps....

Kelly
2006-05-29 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
If you have the money to spend on a tri suit then that will definetely be best for you. I have found that I still have to wear a sports bra even with the built in protection of the tri suit (probably mostly just for my own peace of mind).

If you don't want to spend the money on a tri suit, you do have other options. For my first tri, I wore a one piece swim suit with a sports bra underneath for the swim and then put on shorts and a tshirt (tank top if it is hot though) for the bike and the run. I did not have trouble getting the clothes on over my swim suit. If you are more confident in your body than I am, you can also wear a bikini for the swim and just throw shorts on over it for the bike and run.

Tri suits are great -- but definetely not necessary.
2006-05-30 9:46 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Unless they don't jiggle at all, you will need one.

Trust me on this one - you will feel more out of place without a trisuit (or top and bottom) than with it.      But a tip to make you feel more comfortable in it - train in it.

2006-06-07 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Thanks everyone for great responses and suggestions.

I bought a tri top and tri shorts at the local sportshop here....it was on sale and I'm glad that I got it. I've tried it already on the open water swim and it worked well. Wore it to bike the other night....just have to wear it to run. I'm not that "well-endowed", but I think it should hold me okay....I hope so!!

I definitely want to get a trisuit...but I'm thinking maybe next year? I'm hoping to lose more weight and next year I should be closer to that goal and a trisuit then will be one that perhaps will be more suited to me in the long term.

2006-06-07 10:49 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hi Sharon ~ glad you found something that you are happy with......

Have a great tri!!
2006-06-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: #446822

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Sharona1973 - 2006-06-07 8:27 PM Thanks everyone for great responses and suggestions. I bought a tri top and tri shorts at the local sportshop here....it was on sale and I'm glad that I got it. I've tried it already on the open water swim and it worked well. Wore it to bike the other night....just have to wear it to run. I'm not that "well-endowed", but I think it should hold me okay....I hope so!! I definitely want to get a trisuit...but I'm thinking maybe next year? I'm hoping to lose more weight and next year I should be closer to that goal and a trisuit then will be one that perhaps will be more suited to me in the long term.

Glad you found something you like - my suggestion for figuring out if it will hold you up is go for a run right after you swim for it - wet it is going to be looser up there than dry.

Happy Training!

2006-06-08 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to give it a try.

Hey, I see that you're going to be doing the RiverCities Tri also in August! I'm a complete newbie so I'll be likely lost in the pack, but I'll be there too! I saw that there is a separate thread for the RiverCities Tri.

Anyway, maybe I'll run into you there or something...or see you flying past me on your bike! :-)

Thanks again!!
2006-06-08 9:34 PM
in reply to: #448019

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Sharona1973 - 2006-06-08 3:46 PM Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to give it a try. Hey, I see that you're going to be doing the RiverCities Tri also in August! I'm a complete newbie so I'll be likely lost in the pack, but I'll be there too! I saw that there is a separate thread for the RiverCities Tri. Anyway, maybe I'll run into you there or something...or see you flying past me on your bike! :-) Thanks again!!

Yep the plan is to go - I'm way excited - this race seems to be THE race in Louisiana - seems like every is going - You should also come to the BT prerace dinner. I think Michael is trying to get a feel for how many people are coming though - so go check out the thread - great chance to meet a bunch of BTers.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about women trisuits/outfits Rss Feed