Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-04-03 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4123754

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: ironman without coaching?

ONE of the criteria I used.  If I get to choose between someone who has horrible times vs. good times, then heck yes I will use someone who has good times!

- Years of tri coaching experience

-  Good feeling when communicating, seems to read everything (some people don't!)

-  Good reviews from others re their coaching

-  Others have had good results with their coaching

-  Actually races

-  Has done multiple Ironmans (since my goal is an Ironman)

-  Good finishing times

-  Within my price range

There's a lot that goes on into choosing a coach.

Doesn't matter what talent you have, look at Lance, Lieto.  Push too hard, screw up the nutrition, get a bad race.  A sub-12 Ironman implies that you --probably-- know a thing or two about racing, at least enough to get to spend a month on you and see how it goes.  It definitely puts you in the radar to give you a try.  Someone who can run 50 miles straight probably knows a thing or two about pacing, listening to biological feedback, and endurance nutrition.

Talking to previous coachees and hearing that they improved after their coaching implies you probably know a thing or two about coaching.  There's great athletes who can't coach and coaches who don't know what they're talking about.  And viceversa.  But if you can take someone, coach them in triathlons, and they get better in triathlons, you just may know what you're doing in terms of coaching.

I really don't know why the above paragraphs are being so hard to get across.

Edited by GatorDeb 2012-04-03 5:46 PM

2012-04-03 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4128199

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

goobergirl98 - 2012-04-03 3:43 PM I didn't read through everyone's responses, but I chose to forgo the coach for my first IM and got Matt Fitzgerald's Week by Week Training guide. I liked it because it has levels based on your background, goals and time available to train. I even mixed up the levels for each event for my own personal needs. The book also has training plans for everything from off season all the way up IM.

Thanks, bought it!  $8 at Amazon I figured I'd get at least one good tip out of it  And I love triathlon books.  I've made a list of all tri books mentioned and plan to look at all of them.

My main reason for wanting to stick with a coach is that I have a "deadline" so to speak and it just makes me feel better to have some knowledge and experience to rely on.  I figure I have better changes of both finishing and finishing strong with a coach than without, not necessarily that it's the only way.

2012-04-03 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4128200

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
GatorDeb - 2012-04-03 7:43 PM

ONE of the criteria I used.  If I get to choose between someone who has horrible times vs. good times, then heck yes I will use someone who has good times!

Which is of course, completely up to the athlete. My point is that it is like picking a coach based on what colour bike bike they ride - completely meaningless.

-  Good feeling when communicating, seems to read everything (some people don't!)

All these are good things to consider.

Actually races

-  Good finishing times

These on the otherhand, I would say have little to nothing to do with being a good coach.

Within my price range

Of course, this is critical.

Doesn't matter what talent you have, look at Lance, Lieto.  Push too hard, screw up the nutrition, get a bad race.  A sub-12 Ironman implies that you --probably-- know a thing or two about racing, at least enough to get to spend a month on you and see how it goes.  It definitely puts you in the radar to give you a try.  Someone who can run 50 miles straight probably knows a thing or two about pacing, listening to biological feedback, and endurance nutrition.

Just because somebody can do something and even do it well, has no bearing on whether they can teach and/or coach that skill/ability.

Talking to previous coachees and hearing that they improved after their coaching implies you probably know a thing or two about coaching.  There's great athletes who can't coach and coaches who don't know what they're talking about.  And viceversa.  But if you can take someone, coach them in triathlons, and they get better in triathlons, you just may know what you're doing in terms of coaching.

I have no argument with this; it is the athletic ability = coaching ability that I have been attempting to address.

Usually when I have trouble getting my point across, I stop to consider that the problem probably lies in my ability to communicate my point rather than assuming everyone else is so obtuse they are unable to grasp the simple point I am making.

Shane
2012-04-03 6:49 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

PSA

So I come home from work and am in the library and see the cover of the March issues of Triathlete magazine on the floor.  On there cover I read, "How to choose a coach".  How timely.

The article list things to consider such as does the coach communicate wll, has the coach worked with athletes in your AG and where are they located.  It then talks about qualifications, university education, certification from USAT, how long they've coached and how successful are they, experience, tri background, etc.

Not sure the March issue is still on the newstands....I think the April issues is out already. 

~Mike

2012-04-03 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4128268

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
gsmacleod - 2012-04-03 4:34 PM
GatorDeb - 2012-04-03 7:43 PM

Which is of course, completely up to the athlete. My point is that it is like picking a coach based on what colour bike bike they ride - completely meaningless.

All these are good things to consider.
Actually races

-  Good finishing times

These on the otherhand, I would say have little to nothing to do with being a good coach.
Within my price range
Of course, this is critical.

Just because somebody can do something and even do it well, has no bearing on whether they can teach and/or coach that skill/ability.
I have no argument with this; it is the athletic ability = coaching ability that I have been attempting to address.

Usually when I have trouble getting my point across, I stop to consider that the problem probably lies in my ability to communicate my point rather than assuming everyone else is so obtuse they are unable to grasp the simple point I am making. Shane

I think a part of being a coach is having experience doing what you're teaching.  So while good finishing times don't mean you can teach, they mean you have experience in the subject area.  It gives them hands-on experience, and gives you a feeling that they know what you're going through, so to speak.

So no, doesn't mean they can teach, but it means they have gone through it, and successfully, so it gives another dimension to their coaching.

2012-04-03 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4128301

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
GatorDeb - 2012-04-03 8:56 PM

I think a part of being a coach is having experience doing what you're teaching.  So while good finishing times don't mean you can teach, they mean you have experience in the subject area.  It gives them hands-on experience, and gives you a feeling that they know what you're going through, so to speak.

So no, doesn't mean they can teach, but it means they have gone through it, and successfully, so it gives another dimension to their coaching.

And yet, some of the best coaches in the sport do not currently and, in several cases, have never raced a triathlon. If someone can coach an athlete to an Olympic medal having never raced in a triathlon, I am quite sure that could coach a typical age grouper.

Shane

2012-04-03 7:52 PM

User image

You could make an argument that some of the BEST coaches in pro and collegiate sports today and in the past...most of them did not have very good athletic careers.  They may have played Division II or III, maybe a bench warmer at a powerhouse college...but a lot of them didn't even smell the pro ranks.

If you're going to pay someone like Bill Belichick millions of dollars to coach your pro football team...wouldn't you think having some knowledge of what it's like to play pro football would help?  I suppose 3 super bowl rings and 5 super bowl appearances says it doesn't have anything to do with having coaching success.

2012-04-03 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4128365

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-03 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4128214

Sensei
Sin City
GatorDeb - 2012-04-03 3:56 PM

goobergirl98 - 2012-04-03 3:43 PM I didn't read through everyone's responses, but I chose to forgo the coach for my first IM and got Matt Fitzgerald's Week by Week Training guide. I liked it because it has levels based on your background, goals and time available to train. I even mixed up the levels for each event for my own personal needs. The book also has training plans for everything from off season all the way up IM.

Thanks, bought it!  $8 at Amazon I figured I'd get at least one good tip out of it  And I love triathlon books.  I've made a list of all tri books mentioned and plan to look at all of them.

My main reason for wanting to stick with a coach is that I have a "deadline" so to speak and it just makes me feel better to have some knowledge and experience to rely on.  I figure I have better changes of both finishing and finishing strong with a coach than without, not necessarily that it's the only way.

I have the same book.  I refer to it all the time.  BTW, I have taken the time to import a couple of the plans into BT (including an IM Level 3 Plan).  If you become a member, you can import them into your training logs like you do with the BT plans.  Just PM me and I can send you the CSV file.

2012-04-03 9:52 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
This thread has become a source of entertainment to me.
2012-04-03 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4128147

Master

GatorDeb - 2012-04-03 6:02 PM Who said fast racing means she's a good coach?  *I* didn't.

GatorDeb - 2012-04-03 10:11 AM

I have my goal of doing an IM by the time I'm 35 and IMTX '13 will fulfill that a few days early, so I kind of don't want to leave it to chance.  I also need a lot of help with my nutrition during races.  And I think I'M not slow but there's something else causing the 2:40 Sprints.  Having high marks from others and good finishing times shows she both has the knowledge and the ability to teach.  The times I got from around finishing websites on the Internet, onlineraceresults and athlinks.  I researched all coaches that way to look at their times and compare them.  I prefer that to asking them to tell me

Maybe you didn't say the exact words "fast racing means she's a good coach" but looking at those two sentences I read "fast racing means she's a good coach". The point people here have expressed, and I will repeat. You are making the typical rookie mistake of thinking race results of the individual has any impact on their coaching ability. You are implying a causality that does not exist. We can say it 100 times and unless you can accept that fact your opinion will not change. But as one of many data points, here are some quotes on a triathlon coach (from wiki)

"the coach with the most formidable résumé in triathlon",[2] "widely recognised as one of the best triathlon coaches",[4] and "widely considered to be the best and most unorthodox coach in the sport".[5]

I cannot completely confirm since his resume is not online but I am pretty sure has never even tried to do a triathlon. Wiki lists him as a bad swimmer at age 10 .. this same guy has multiple world champs in all distances. This list of coaches who have never raced or raced slow could be 100 deep, in all sports.

Edited by FeltonR.Nubbinsworth 2012-04-03 9:57 PM

2012-04-03 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4128586

Expert
Marin County, California
AdventureBear - 2012-04-03 9:52 PM

This thread has become a source of entertainment to me.

Whew. Thought I was the only one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ironman without coaching? Rss Feed  

of 3