General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any diabetics here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-21 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: Any diabetics here?
Hello, I'm new to the sport of triathlons and I am a Type 2 diabetic....been diagnosed since June 2002.

I have been trying to lose weight to help control my diabetes and am currently still on oral meds. The reason that I'm doing a triathlon this year is because I needed a goal and something to work towards to help me in my weight-loss and my pursuit to get off my diabetes medications (if possible) and to control my diabetes through exercise and diet.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any other diabetics out there and how you've dealt with training and nutrition and carbo loading etc.

Thank you!

2006-05-22 6:11 AM
in reply to: #429315

Subject: RE: Any diabetics here?
Ihave severe hypoglycemia, so I have to deal with nutrition, since it is the only way to control it. I have met a sport nutritionist, which helped me a lot. If you hace any question, ask, and I'll see if I can help you.
2006-05-22 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Well, I'm type 1 diabetic...I just sort of dealt with it as it came along. Unfortunately, there's not really a wealth of information on how to balance your meds and training (I'm on an insulin pump). Its been a fair deal of trial/error. Don't know how your oral meds affect your blood sugar, but my biggest worry when training is going low...so I always plan way more food than I think I'll need (more gels, carry glucose tabs, keep one water bottle w/ gatorade/sugary sports drink).

The tri training has been great, I lost 65 lbs since I started. Dropped my Hb1Ac from 12.8 to a solid 7, and reversed some kidney damage. It's awesome, tons of fun, and hopefully you'll keep with it even after you hit your targets .

Any ?'s feel free to PM me or send me a wee e-mail, I love talkin' about the 'betes.
2006-05-22 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hey there.

I'm type II diabetic I was diagnosed a few years back. I have been successful in controlling my blood sugar through weight loss, exercise and medication.

Carbo loading is a non starter for us. I thought I would give it a try last big race and the net effect was just being sleepy and having to get up in the middle of the night a few times before the race. The best bet is to just stick to a normal diet with the traditional pasta supper the night before your race. Keep some gels handy my experience is that we cannot carbo load the way normal athletes can.
2006-05-23 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Thanks for the great replies everyone.

I have not seen hypoglycemia yet with my training. The closest I've gotten is about 85 after running my 5K. I've seen 124 after doing my 20mile bike rides. And I seem to have high blood sugars during hot weather and since I live in the south and it's summer time, I'm expecting that my blood sugars are going to be high due to the heat and possibly adrenaline from the race.

I guess I just have to work on keeping well hydrated.

If Type 2's can't carbo load, then I guess we just have to eat sensibly and hope that we have enough glycogen stores in the liver to keep us going for the race? Well, mine are all sprints, so I guess I'll be fine.

If I ever get to an IM level, then I guess I'll need more specific nutritional information!
2006-05-24 7:19 AM
in reply to: #432022

User image

Expert
Montreal
Sharona1973 - 2006-05-23 5:12 PM

Well, mine are all sprints, so I guess I'll be fine.

If I ever get to an IM level, then I guess I'll need more specific nutritional information!

Use the water stations - take gatorade or sport drink. Use gels during the race.

If you have an endocrinologist have them recommend a dietician to consult. Registered dieticians are worth their weight in carbon fibre frames.

2006-05-24 3:30 PM
in reply to: #432398

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Wookiee - 2006-05-24 8:19 AM

Sharona1973 - 2006-05-23 5:12 PM

Well, mine are all sprints, so I guess I'll be fine.

Use the water stations - take gatorade or sport drink. Use gels during the race.

If you have an endocrinologist have them recommend a dietician to consult. Registered dieticians are worth their weight in carbon fibre frames.

Aye, and get a SUPPORTIVE endo, fer crissake! Mine is a bit of a dunce...she thinks I can't do tris and she LAUGHED when I told her I wanted to marathon. I cant WAIT to march in a wave my Hb1Ac's at her and show her my entry form for Pineman and Columbus Mary
2006-05-28 1:15 PM

HAve you looked into an insulin pump? They're a little pricey but worth it because you can set it for high energy activities
2006-05-28 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
I am currently not on insulin. I have been fine so far. My BG levels have been okay....but I haven't really been subjected to the heat yet.

As for a dietitian.....I consulted my diabetic dietitian who is a CDE last week. She is a good dietitian, but her strength is not sports nutrition. Her advice to me was to treat myself as an athlete who has diabetes with good control. She said to make sure not to overdo the carbs, but to go ahead and make sure I get good carbs and not stay away from them.

As for what to do during the race, she recommended testing regularly and agreed with me that it would be difficult to stop and test during the transition as it would take time. She didn't think I needed to do the gatorade or drinks like that for fear of low BG....because my BG levels would probably be elevated from the adrenaline and heat (I have really high BG levels when I play tennis.....my endo is very puzzled about that...we deduced it was probably adrenaline related). However, I'm looking at some nutritional drinks that are low in sugar to just help keep my electrolytes in check since I sweat quite a bit.

I'm trying Ultima Replenisher which says it only has 6grams of carbs per serving and 0grams of sugar. I will try it on the long bike ride this week.

My endo doesn't know I'm doing triathlons yet! I see her in two weeks...hopefully she won't discourage me.

BTW, I just signed up for my first triathlon!! It will be on June 18th!
2006-05-29 10:25 AM

User image

New user

San Francisco, CA
Hello!

I stated this in my Introduction but just in case you missed it...

I am a Type I Diabetic and have started training for my first Sprint Triathalon which is in November. Is anyone interested in helping educate me on proper meal planning and nutrition that will not only help me develop my body for this awesome sport but also maintain balance with my Diabetic requirements? I am willing and able to do pretty much whatever is required to succeed.

Please let me know...

Thanks!

Keith
2006-06-07 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Do any of you use the drinks etc when you do your sprint triathlons? If so, what type do you use?

I have heard that Hammer nutrition is supposed to not raise blood sugars. I tried the Ultima brand and well, the last 20 mile ride that I did which was about 1:14 hr, I took my BG after and it was 193....but it did come down to 108 in about 45 minutes. I'm not sure if it was the Ultima that did it? I tend to get high BG levels if I exercise anyway...do you guys encounter the same problem?

My first tri is in less than 2 weeks....it's the following Sunday...and it's 500yard swim, 15 mile bike and 3 mile run....and I'm thinking I'll be probably coming in at about 2 hours....do you think I'll need to supplement? Someone said to use E-caps to supplement sodium.....help!!!!!

2006-06-10 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Hey all, I posted under health and injuries just now.......battling a recurrence of the cold (or overtraining, who knows?) and now at a loss at what to do. Personally I think I need a readjustment of my meds. My follow-up with my endo is after my first tri! It was supposed to have been yesterday, but they rescheduled it.

Any thoughts as how to deal with illness? I hope I can get better to compete next week....I would hate to pull out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any diabetics here? Rss Feed