General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon training and the long run???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-04 5:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Marathon training and the long run????
   So I know it is not a hard fast rule, but I have generally followed the "your weekly long run should only be 25-30% of your total weekly mileage" rule and understand that many others do also.  I have recently been seriously thinking about training for a marathon and after looking at a few plans, it doesn't sem like that rule applies?  I just looked at a "beginners" plan on coolrunning.com and the long run often accounts for more than 50% of the weekly mileage!  For instance, on week 11, the total weekly mileage is 40 at most and the long run is 20 miles?  And on week 17, the total weekly mileage is 42 and the long run is 26 miles?  What's going on here?  I mean, isn't this risking injury, or is marathon training an exception to the rule or what?  I can see goin over the rule here and there, but every week?

2012-04-04 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4128813

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Marathon training and the long run????

Unless you are running 70+ miles per week, you won't be getting the long run in the 25-30% range.  Sure, maybe in the beginning but not when you start getting to the looong runs.  A 70 mile week would put a 25-30% long run at 17-21 miles. 

Pick one of the many popular ones out there (I have used Higdon's Intermediate plans 4x now) and trust the plan.  Someone like Higdon has had probably a million marathons run on his plans.  They are time tested solutions that work. 

IMHO - As a beginner, you are more likely to get either 1) burnt out or 2) injured if you try to do something like the Pfitzinger 18/70 plan (there is a reason it is called Advanced Marathoning) for your first marathon (those type of plans START at 53 miles per weak).

Good luck!

2012-04-04 7:00 AM

Master
Northern IL
It's a guideline more so than a rule. It's more optimal to have the long run be 30% or less of the weekly total, but as we can see from the number of people using these plans it's not an absolute requirement. It can help with injury prevention, but it might be more so to help be able to handle recovering the stress brought on by the long run. With more total mileage the LR doesn't wear someone down quite as much, making recovery shorter. Many people can't (or won't) do 70 miles or so a week, so these plans are more appealing.
2012-04-04 7:20 AM

User image

Pro

Kermat89 - 2012-04-04 6:02 AM    So I know it is not a hard fast rule, but I have generally followed the "your weekly long run should only be 25-30% of your total weekly mileage" rule and understand that many others do also.  I have recently been seriously thinking about training for a marathon and after looking at a few plans, it doesn't sem like that rule applies?  I just looked at a "beginners" plan on coolrunning.com and the long run often accounts for more than 50% of the weekly mileage!  For instance, on week 11, the total weekly mileage is 40 at most and the long run is 20 miles?  And on week 17, the total weekly mileage is 42 and the long run is 26 milesWhat's going on here?  I mean, isn't this risking injury, or is marathon training an exception to the rule or what?  I can see goin over the rule here and there, but every week?

That sounds wrong, period. 26 miles is too far for a long run, especially on a beginner plan. It's a recipe for injury. Typically the longest run is 20 miles. I've never gone more that 22. OK, once, but we got lost.

2012-04-04 7:20 AM

User image

Runner
As a proponent of said 1/3 rule, I would be remiss if I didn't add my thoughts and opinions to the discussion.

Firstly, the "rule", as has been stated, is really more of a guideline, and is designed to provide some sort of starting framework on which to build your actual training. Ultimately, I usually bring up the rule as a way to get people to thing about long-term training habits, rather than specific training plans or cycles. In the short run, most people could easily follow the path of most beginner plans and come out the other side unscathed. However, as a long term plan, having one run make up the bulk of your weekly mileage is not ideal.

Secondly, it comes down to goals. My goals with my training are to get myself prepared to run my best on race day. Other people just want to get through the race with a smile. Neither goal is better or right, they are just different. If your goal is to finish, then there's not much issue with those beginner plans; they work as advertised. If your goal, however, is to try to run your very best, then it takes far more planning, effort, and dedication.

Lastly, I advocate for the 1/3 rule because I think that people develop unrealistic ideas or expectations from some of those canned beginner plans. As I mentioned previously, I do not believe that most beginner marathon programs represent a very good long-term training methodology, nor do I believe they were meant to do so. Unfortunately, people seem to take them and run with them in that fashion, and thus end up getting injured, burned out, sick of running and marathons. I try to get people to find a sustainable running habit that lets them enjoy things, so they stay with it.
2012-04-04 7:25 AM

User image

Most of the people I know who run marathons top out at about 21, maybe 22 miles, for their longest training run.   No reason to actually run 26 miles.  Except maybe confidence knowing you've covered the distance once already.  In reality though, if you can cover 21 miles without trouble, come race day you won't have a problem covering the other 5.2 miles.  I know someone running Boston this year and she even tops out at 20-21 miles.  And she is hoping for a sub 3 hour run this year, so she isn't slow.

2012-04-04 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Do NOT run more than about 20 to 22 miles for your Long Runs.  Much too risky, injury-wise when you get above that number.  I think of it as the "Injury-zone".  Not worth the risk.  You'll be fine on Race day if you finish a couple of 20s during training.

Bill

2012-04-04 2:50 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

The 1/3 guideline is just that, of course. And I can't do much better than Scout's excellent answer. One can always diverge from guidelines ... it's just that the more you diverge, the greater are the risks involved. And the risks are probably greater the older and more fragile we become. In my 20s I was able to get away with a 'plan' that included a long run on the weekend and a limited amount of random stuff in the rest of the week, but there's no way I could get away with that in my mid-40s.

40 mpw with a 20 mile long run probably counts as pretty risky. This makes it almost inevitable that one run is far longer than the next longest run, meaning that it'll be very stressful on the body, and quite hard to recover from. One can do a marathon on that kind of regime, but it's not a good long term approach.

But even at 55 mpw, things can be a whole lot better. 55 mpw with a long run of 18 miles and a second run of 12-13 miles is consistent with the guidelines on not putting too much in the long run and not having the long run be too much longer than the next longest run. If you do a few weeks like this, and then throw in a run of 20-22 miles a couple of times, then that's a pretty minimal departure from the guidelines. 

2012-04-04 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4128961

User image

Clemson, SC

Scout7 - 2012-04-04 8:20 AM As a proponent of said 1/3 rule, I would be remiss if I didn't add my thoughts and opinions to the discussion. Firstly, the "rule", as has been stated, is really more of a guideline, and is designed to provide some sort of starting framework on which to build your actual training. Ultimately, I usually bring up the rule as a way to get people to thing about long-term training habits, rather than specific training plans or cycles. In the short run, most people could easily follow the path of most beginner plans and come out the other side unscathed. However, as a long term plan, having one run make up the bulk of your weekly mileage is not ideal. Secondly, it comes down to goals. My goals with my training are to get myself prepared to run my best on race day. Other people just want to get through the race with a smile. Neither goal is better or right, they are just different. If your goal is to finish, then there's not much issue with those beginner plans; they work as advertised. If your goal, however, is to try to run your very best, then it takes far more planning, effort, and dedication. Lastly, I advocate for the 1/3 rule because I think that people develop unrealistic ideas or expectations from some of those canned beginner plans. As I mentioned previously, I do not believe that most beginner marathon programs represent a very good long-term training methodology, nor do I believe they were meant to do so. Unfortunately, people seem to take them and run with them in that fashion, and thus end up getting injured, burned out, sick of running and marathons. I try to get people to find a sustainable running habit that lets them enjoy things, so they stay with it.

QFT... After two marathons based on canned programs I am now seeing the value in consistently putting mileage month after month instead of just ramping up the 12 weeks before.

2012-04-04 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4128961

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Scout7 - 2012-04-04 5:20 AM As a proponent of said 1/3 rule, I would be remiss if I didn't add my thoughts and opinions to the discussion. Firstly, the "rule", as has been stated, is really more of a guideline, and is designed to provide some sort of starting framework on which to build your actual training. Ultimately, I usually bring up the rule as a way to get people to thing about long-term training habits, rather than specific training plans or cycles. In the short run, most people could easily follow the path of most beginner plans and come out the other side unscathed. However, as a long term plan, having one run make up the bulk of your weekly mileage is not ideal. Secondly, it comes down to goals. My goals with my training are to get myself prepared to run my best on race day. Other people just want to get through the race with a smile. Neither goal is better or right, they are just different. If your goal is to finish, then there's not much issue with those beginner plans; they work as advertised. If your goal, however, is to try to run your very best, then it takes far more planning, effort, and dedication. Lastly, I advocate for the 1/3 rule because I think that people develop unrealistic ideas or expectations from some of those canned beginner plans. As I mentioned previously, I do not believe that most beginner marathon programs represent a very good long-term training methodology, nor do I believe they were meant to do so. Unfortunately, people seem to take them and run with them in that fashion, and thus end up getting injured, burned out, sick of running and marathons. I try to get people to find a sustainable running habit that lets them enjoy things, so they stay with it.

You also aren't balancing swimming and biking with your running, unless I'm mistaken.  While I know that most triathletes doing marathon training (including me) are generally back-burnering the swim and bike at least somewhat, many are still making time for at least maintenance workouts on both.  Speaking as someone in that category (and who has BQ'ed while still doing tri cross training), it's pretty tough to restrict your long run to 25-30% of weekly mileage, practically speaking...only so many hours in the week (and the swim/bike does count for something, aerobically speaking).

My peak week for my last three marathons ended up with the long run at about 40% (~20.5 out of 50+ miles)...for all my previous marathons, it was more like 50%.

Definitely rolling the dice on injury in that scenario, but definitely can be a practical necessity for a lot of triathletes looking to also do marathons.

2012-04-04 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Kermat89 - 2012-04-04 5:02 AM    So I know it is not a hard fast rule, but I have generally followed the "your weekly long run should only be 25-30% of your total weekly mileage" rule and understand that many others do also.  I have recently been seriously thinking about training for a marathon and after looking at a few plans, it doesn't sem like that rule applies?  I just looked at a "beginners" plan on coolrunning.com and the long run often accounts for more than 50% of the weekly mileage!  For instance, on week 11, the total weekly mileage is 40 at most and the long run is 20 miles?  And on week 17, the total weekly mileage is 42 and the long run is 26 miles?  What's going on here?  I mean, isn't this risking injury, or is marathon training an exception to the rule or what?  I can see goin over the rule here and there, but every week?

Yes, it IS risking injury.

and unlike Scout, I think these plans result in more people getting injured, than actually making it to their target race unscathed.

I believe that a beginner marathon program represents the LEAST training a non-runner can hope to do and finish (within reason...we're all aware of untrained people that jump in last minute and walk to a 6+ hour finish)

To do a marathon successfully requires some long runs approaching 20 miles.  Without a certain amount of running behind you that is one heck of a shock to the legs.  So what do you do?  I suggest not following a beginner marathon plan. 

Instead, ask Scout to help you develop a plan and you will be light years ahead.

2012-04-05 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4130574

User image

Runner
tcovert - 2012-04-04 5:51 PM

Scout7 - 2012-04-04 5:20 AM As a proponent of said 1/3 rule, I would be remiss if I didn't add my thoughts and opinions to the discussion. Firstly, the "rule", as has been stated, is really more of a guideline, and is designed to provide some sort of starting framework on which to build your actual training. Ultimately, I usually bring up the rule as a way to get people to thing about long-term training habits, rather than specific training plans or cycles. In the short run, most people could easily follow the path of most beginner plans and come out the other side unscathed. However, as a long term plan, having one run make up the bulk of your weekly mileage is not ideal. Secondly, it comes down to goals. My goals with my training are to get myself prepared to run my best on race day. Other people just want to get through the race with a smile. Neither goal is better or right, they are just different. If your goal is to finish, then there's not much issue with those beginner plans; they work as advertised. If your goal, however, is to try to run your very best, then it takes far more planning, effort, and dedication. Lastly, I advocate for the 1/3 rule because I think that people develop unrealistic ideas or expectations from some of those canned beginner plans. As I mentioned previously, I do not believe that most beginner marathon programs represent a very good long-term training methodology, nor do I believe they were meant to do so. Unfortunately, people seem to take them and run with them in that fashion, and thus end up getting injured, burned out, sick of running and marathons. I try to get people to find a sustainable running habit that lets them enjoy things, so they stay with it.

You also aren't balancing swimming and biking with your running, unless I'm mistaken.  While I know that most triathletes doing marathon training (including me) are generally back-burnering the swim and bike at least somewhat, many are still making time for at least maintenance workouts on both.  Speaking as someone in that category (and who has BQ'ed while still doing tri cross training), it's pretty tough to restrict your long run to 25-30% of weekly mileage, practically speaking...only so many hours in the week (and the swim/bike does count for something, aerobically speaking).

My peak week for my last three marathons ended up with the long run at about 40% (~20.5 out of 50+ miles)...for all my previous marathons, it was more like 50%.

Definitely rolling the dice on injury in that scenario, but definitely can be a practical necessity for a lot of triathletes looking to also do marathons.

No, I'm not doing anything but running. I used to ride a bike every so often, but eh.

Also, 25% is on the low end. I say 1/3 of total mileage, and really, that could be within a cycle, which may be more than 7 days. In other words, if you do a two week cycle, you could realistically get in a longer run that is a higher proportion of weekly mileage, but you're only realistically doing that every other week (which is how most of those types of beginner plans function).

Yes, this type of training can work, when used for a specific race preparation. However, it does not, in my opinion, provide an optimal long-term training template. Of course, those plans are meant to be for one race, and not really for long-term training, so it's fine for that purpose. But I would be hesitant to recommend people consistently try to run longer runs that are such a high percentage week in and week out (and yes, I have seen people try this).
2012-04-05 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I don't have much to add. Go read Scout's response again.

I will suggest that my overall running fitness broke a plateau I had been at for some time when I began following Pfitzinger's programs and added a medium-long-run to my mid-week schedule. That'll get you a bit more volume and do wonders for your marathon training ... especially if you plan to race it rather than just finish it (not suggesting either approach is better). 

2012-04-05 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4130284

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
colinphillips - 2012-04-04 2:50 PM

The 1/3 guideline is just that, of course. And I can't do much better than Scout's excellent answer. One can always diverge from guidelines ... it's just that the more you diverge, the greater are the risks involved. And the risks are probably greater the older and more fragile we become. In my 20s I was able to get away with a 'plan' that included a long run on the weekend and a limited amount of random stuff in the rest of the week, but there's no way I could get away with that in my mid-40s.

40 mpw with a 20 mile long run probably counts as pretty risky. This makes it almost inevitable that one run is far longer than the next longest run, meaning that it'll be very stressful on the body, and quite hard to recover from. One can do a marathon on that kind of regime, but it's not a good long term approach.

But even at 55 mpw, things can be a whole lot better. 55 mpw with a long run of 18 miles and a second run of 12-13 miles is consistent with the guidelines on not putting too much in the long run and not having the long run be too much longer than the next longest run. If you do a few weeks like this, and then throw in a run of 20-22 miles a couple of times, then that's a pretty minimal departure from the guidelines. 

this.  Think of it a bit like this:  the long run is your support for the marathon.  the mileage during the week is your support for the long run.  without that base support during the week you are asking for all kinds of situations that may or may not include:  fatigue, injury, burn out, sense of failure....really, the list could go on and on and on......

2012-04-06 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran

So what I seem to be hearing is that it is really best to work up to a weekly mileage that supports a few 18-20 mile runs, however if this isn't possible then breaking the rule for a few weeks/months may not be SO bad after all...hopefully. 

I would love to put in longer weeks (ie. 50+ miles) but so far it seems as though I cannot get my body to run two days in a row.  I always seem to get some nagging pain when I run more than every other day.  This has been going on for probably a year and a half now.  This last fall I even stopped running for a month and then started a couch to 5K program and have been slowly building since then.  I recently went back to running every other day due to tightness in my Left knee that turned into pain.  Since I went to "every other day" the pain is going away. 

I figure running every other day is an average of 3.5 days a week and even if I ran 10 miles every run, this would only be an average of 35 miles per week.  I hope I can eventually get to where I can run 5-7 times a week.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon training and the long run???? Rss Feed