General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-04 8:39 PM

Veteran
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

I just felt like putting this in this forum instead of the race report forum..

This was my first half ironman, and 3rd triathlon ever.

I arrived late Friday night to the Moody Garden Hotel (host hotel) and was anxious because of a long drive and a throbbing ingrown toenail.  Anyway, checked in, fell asleep, woke up and enjoyed being alone. Realized it was the first time in 9 years since I've slept in a bed by MYSELF (since my oldest was born). Nice..

Next day, toenail improving, thank god. Worried it would keep me from racing on Sunday.

Night before the race, I tried to get to bed early, but it didn't happen.  My friend arrived (who was also doing the race) and we tried to get dinner but everywhere was super crowded.  We picked up last minute supplies, ordered room service and had lights out by 10:30.  I woke up at 3:00 a.m. and could not go back to sleep. Anxious about salt consumption (which I see is another big thread on this forum for this particular race!) and how much I should take in on the bike, as I am a "salty" sweater and my fingers tend to swell..Also worried about my ability to complete the distance, etc. Worry and obsessive thought kept me awake until 5:00, when the alarm went off.  I ate my greek yogurt and some cinnamon bread, then we made our way to transition, got body marked, laid out our stuff, then went to wait for our swim wave, which didn't start until 08:20. 

Swim: WOW. I thought I was going to do much better on the swim than I actually did.  I was a bit weirded out by having to jump off the dock in to the water.  It was colder than I expected and it took my breath away for a minute, but that was probably due more to nerves.  I couldn't really regain my breath solidly for quite awhile so my swim was off to a very slow start.  My goggles were leaking (which they had not done previously in the pool) and were fogging up the whole time.  Finally I resigned myself to just swimming with my eyes closed and sighting every 15 strokes.  The kayakers were following me closely because I must have looked like I was about to drown! I kept treading water, taking off my goggles, doing breast stroke trying to catch my breath, then side stroke..felt like I was doing horribly.  I kept swimming way off to the right of the buoys and had to swim directly towards shore just to keep remotely in a straight line.  TWICE I thought..I can't do this..just call the kayakers, have them pull me out..My perception of the distance was really skewed being in the water..the shore looked so far away..there looked like an interminable amount of buoys..I thought I would never finish!  Two different colored swim caps/waves started passing me..I though surely I would not make the cut off..I swam into a guy who was very nice about it, asked me how I was doing and then said "You know, you'll make it don't you?" and that was all it took.  Something clicked, I started swimming, and then finally, the turn towards shore was finally there..It took me 55 minutes! But at least I made it..

Bike: I actually  loved the bike portion..For the most part, I rode by myself.  My fuel belt bag was chafing my right inner thigh, so I had to actually stop and fix it at one point.  I did not think there were enough aid stations, and the roads weren't in the best conditions, but for the most part, it was a nice bike course because you could see the ocean the whole time.  The winds were strong, but not too bad.  Nicer on the way back.  In my training I had only gotten up to 40 miles, but the extra 16 were no problem.  I rode "slow" so I could save myself for the run.  I completed bike in 3:51.

Run: My friend was in T2 when I was, so we started the run together.  She started cramping up almost immediately, so even though I could've run faster and left her I wanted to stay with her.  We thought the run course was marked extremely confusing..I also thought having to do 3 loops (even though this is changed from 4 in previous races I believe) was psychologically straining..They also had us running on some small airport tarmac which sucked because it was like baking in the sun..It was super hot and humid..I got wicked sun burned..

Finally finished with no cramping, and NO PROBLEMS!  Finished under my goal time (which was to complete in 8 hours or less) at 7:51.  Next time I want to finish faster, of course, but for my first one, I am happy.  I am also happy to report that I was only a little sore the next day..and Tuesday I was completely back to normal. 

My friend had to go to the medical tent at the end and they told her she was dehydrated and AFTER infusing normal saline, told her her sodium count was very high.  She had been taking some of the same salt tablets I had taken, and had actually consumed more liquid at the aid stations than me..weird how I was fine and she became dehydrated..I know everyone is different, but still. I was surprised...

What I will do differently next time is more open water swims and more biking outside instead of being on the trainer!

Thanks for reading if you made it this far..!!

Edited by texasgrrl 2012-04-04 8:44 PM

2012-04-04 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4130928

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Congrats. Sounds like a great experience.
2012-04-04 9:15 PM

User image

Kelso
Great job! Glad you were able to overcome some difficulties during the swim.
2012-04-04 9:52 PM

User image

It sounds like you executed a well-trained-for race. Congratulations! Things do go wrong, and only experience and attitude give us the springboard from which to progress. I myself went out on Sunday to take revenge on the course, and do better than I had the year before, but your attitude is a good example for me. Will we see you next year? And what part of Texas are you in?
2012-04-04 10:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4131070

Veteran
Courtney-that is ironic! Congrats on your finish too!

2012-04-05 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4131052

Veteran
Red-I am in Dallas..Not sure if I will do it again next year..But I might..am thinking about doing the 5i50 in Galveston this September though..Congrats on finishing!
2012-04-05 8:46 AM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
"AFTER infusing normal saline, told her her sodium count was very high."

I don't want to make this a repeat of the other thread but infusing normal saline into someone with a high sodium level will begin to bring their sodium levels back toward normal. It will also help to make up the dehydration volume deficit. The way you emphasize this makes it seem like you think the medical people did something wrong. This seems like pretty appropriate therapy to me. Just saying.

Congratulations on your race and on finishing strong and feeling good.

2012-04-05 9:04 AM

Expert
Broomfield, CO
texasgrrl - 2012-04-04 8:39 PM

Bike: ...and the roads weren't in the best conditions...

Congratulations on your race! Glad to hear you overcame all your obstacles.

I did the race on Sunday too. As for your road comment, I'll just say this...they aren't going to get much better than that. Sure there were a few rough spots,  after the bridge and out to the turn around but most of that ride was like riding on smooth glass. If you didn't think those were good roads don't come to Austin in OCT to do Longhorn 70.3 you'll think it's a mountain bike course.

Congratulations again.

2012-04-05 9:54 AM

Congrats and way to stay with the swim. On my first tri I swear the first buoy looked like it kept getting farther away.
2012-04-05 10:24 AM

Pro
Omaha, NE
Congrats, and even when things are going good the swim buoys seem like they're forever away.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed