General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New weight rules for Athena & Clydesdale in 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-04-10 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4139393

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Subject: RE: New weight rules for Athena & Clydesdale in 2013
Does that mean the bigger people work harder than the "little ones"? I guess I am no longer a Clyde.

2012-04-10 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4141222

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
TheClaaaw - 2012-04-10 2:14 PM
Rudedog55 - 2012-04-10 1:34 PM

you wanna get hilly or sooper hot like St George, Quassy or Kona, well that is one thing, but a flat/rolling terrain race, where weight is not a handicap and there are lots of bigger guys giving the skinny guys a run for their money.

Not sure how it translates from sprint to longer distances, but at Dewey Beach sprint last year, the Masters Clydesdale (so fat and old to boot) was 12th overall (out of 400 men).

I'm not sure how I see the existence of the category being helpful for getting people to sign up who need to exercise and lose weight. I'm squarely in that category, but when I found myself so slow that I couldn't keep up with other fat guys, I was even more disheartened. Luckily a need for speed has not been a driving factor for me. But just thinking of it from a common psychological perspective, if a person is discouraged by being at the back of the pack, seeing the winners as skinny people just makes sense I would think. Being last place in the category stigmatized for being the fatties, oh man, even worse.

I was at a local 5k with a Clyde division (don't see that much) and thought I didn't see many Clydes in the running. Maybe I could fall into a 3rd out of 3 AG award. Not that I thought it would mean anything, mind you, but I had a laugh about that situation early that year. (All my peers ran the 10k apparently.) The winner of the Clydes was a bodybuilder. I teased him about going inside the Y for a weigh in, but it reminded me of the fact that the category is not designed for the "fat and slow" (this is me folks) to get a pat on the head. We have finishers medals for that. (Which I love, love, love.

This topic has my brain going in several directions. I guess a parallel is the movie The Ringer, with Johnny Knoxville. The basic idea is that they will rig the Special Olympics by putting in a "normal" guy acting "special" and he'll clean up. Turns out the special olympians are very athletic, and the assumptions from others are challenged. Special Olympics actually approved of their name to be used in the movie. Just forget that it's the guy from Jacka$$: Great movie.

i was just using some of the more notable races, i think in the sprint/oly distance the spread is even closer, regardless of terrain. It is basically who is on their game that day, who trained harder.

Long distance especially IM distance, i think the run will hurt a clyde more than anything, 26.2 is just soooo freaking long.

I am at 205lbs, the last 5 have been very tough to lose, So this new rule kinda forces my hand, but in a Sprint or Oly, i will be competitive in AG and overall, and that is what i race the most anyway. I have no Kona dreams or IM 70.3 WC dreams, so it really makes no nevermind in the long run

Run what ya brung is what i always say, he/she with the biggest motor wins.

And Claw, just for the record, you are an inspiration to me, just cause i think you are cool and you seen to have a great time doing this. I really do not care how fast or slow you are, you and your attitude are just damm impressive. Keep at it.

2012-04-10 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4141298

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

TriPatrick - 2012-04-10 2:35 PM Does that mean the bigger people work harder than the "little ones"? I guess I am no longer a Clyde.

Yes, a larger athlete will have to expend more energy to go the same speed, but the larger athlete also can generally put out more power than a smaller guy, so long as there are no crazy elevation change, it comes down to who is more fit....generally.

nothing is perfect though.

2012-04-10 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

There were 18 clydes that finished my HIM in 2010 of the 39 that started the race that day.  Of those 39, I would say that over 15 were there because of them being really fit and strong and their muscle weight and not because they were overweight like I am still.  But, my goal was not to win an event, but to complete the HIM that I entered.

I think 220 is a better weight for the purpose of keeping the ultra fit out of the class if that is what they want to do, but I am not sure that is a good thing for the sport either.  I don't care about a medal, so it doesn't matter to me.

2012-04-10 2:56 PM

User image

Pittsburgh

I debated on sharing and I am sure this might get me into trouble but it seems to be something being missed for the Athena women like me.  I'm shocked "boobs" got overlooked......seldom are mine missed.

I carry extra weight in my chest that my skinny runner friends just don't have.  Sure they say things like "you are tall, your stride is bigger than mine" and "You are way stronger than me, you should be able to keep up easy". I'm just not built like a runner, but a 1945 pin-up model.  I carry chest weight that contributes nothing to my running speed or endurance......just my appearance in my tri-top, but appearance doesn't make me fast.

I have come to accept this as one of the handicaps on being an 5'10, Amazon, and why I race Athena.  It's pretty demoralizing when I train 5 to 6 days a week and some one 60% my size training half as much runs past me like I was an old lady with a walker.  I am happy to join my fellow Amazon sisters in a race.......and I secretly miss my old contact sports where a clothesline or a hipcheck was the perfect thing to slow down those skinny speedy women.

2012-04-10 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
I moved to the US last summer, so this will be my first season entering races in the US, after two seasons in Canada. I went to Chicago in 2010, and saw the start of the Clydes, and told myself that I would always enter US races as one in the future. Why? They truly seemed like a group of guys participating for fun, while AGers have more people trying to podium and getting way too serious.

At 212, I will be too "small" for the new Clydes, which saddens me. I was looking forward to a few years of tri with the big boys; having fun and smiling about finishing, not complaining about missing the podium.

2012-04-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4141562

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I also thought the weights were arbitrary, although admittedly very few of the races I do are USAT certified. 

It was my understanding from reading everything about a year ago that while you don't qualify for nationals in the A/C category, ANYONE who qualifies for the A/C category by weight can sign up for nationals.   So, if you're heavy enough for the standard you simply sign up for nationals.  That's it.

So...  that would cut down the number of people who wanted to do that.

Of course, now I can't find where I read that. I will look and post a link if I can find it.

Edit: can't find a description, but you can sign up for an event and see that there's a separate link for A/C and no qualification requirement.  So, I guess if you simply just wanted to be part of the event - that's a good way to do it.  For us

Edit P.S.: your results are posted separately.  I looked at the Olympic Distance Triathlon Championship results for 2011.  Tara Costa was an Athena, by the way.  There were still only 33 participants in the A/C categories, total, almost all of whom would kick my butt in an Oly. 

2012-04-10 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4141549

User image

New user

girlmisfit - 2012-04-10 2:56 PM

I secretly miss my old contact sports where a clothesline or a hipcheck was the perfect thing to slow down those skinny speedy women.

What? No hipchecking either? Just be careful not to get caught I guess.

2012-04-10 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4141549

User image

Pro
Houston

I debated on sharing and I am sure this might get me into trouble but it seems to be something being missed for the Athena women like me.  I'm shocked "boobs" got overlooked......seldom are mine missed.

I carry extra weight in my chest that my skinny runner friends just don't have.  Sure they say things like "you are tall, your stride is bigger than mine" and "You are way stronger than me, you should be able to keep up easy". I'm just not built like a runner, but a 1945 pin-up model.  I carry chest weight that contributes nothing to my running speed or endurance......just my appearance in my tri-top, but appearance doesn't make me fast.

I have come to accept this as one of the handicaps on being an 5'10, Amazon, and why I race Athena.  It's pretty demoralizing when I train 5 to 6 days a week and some one 60% my size training half as much runs past me like I was an old lady with a walker.  I am happy to join my fellow Amazon sisters in a race.......and I secretly miss my old contact sports where a clothesline or a hipcheck was the perfect thing to slow down those skinny speedy women.

Right there with you.

People also underestimate how much long legs weigh and that a long stride is not always a good thing. I know I have had to shorten my stride and quicken my cadence to stay injury free so the long legs not so handy.

I also enjoyed racing with fellow Athena's that were out there to support each other and have fun.

2012-04-10 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4141627

User image

Master
Houston
KManuel - 2012-04-10 3:18 PM

I secretly miss my old contact sports where a clothesline or a hipcheck was the perfect thing to slow down those skinny speedy women.

What? No hipchecking either? Just be careful not to get caught I guess.

Those skinny people don't understand how big fleshy things like bellys work.  If you wack them with those they will be forced to assume it was an accident when you say "Oh I'm sorry I'm just bouncier than I thought".

Edited by NewClydesdale 2012-04-10 3:26 PM
2012-04-11 8:43 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

After reading those minutes the link earlier pointed to, what they did appears contradictory.

Early it says the change was being recommended because "athletes today are bigger and stronger (and consequently heavier) than they were in the past." The use of the word "consequently" suggests that they mean TALLER when they say BIGGER, as opposed to fatter.

Later they mention that the self-reported weight of the average American over the past 20 years has increased "about 20 pounds in both sexes". This may sound harsh but who in their right mind thinks that weight gain in an entire population (in this case the American one) is due to training, strength, and height, more than diet?? (and I'm speaking as a fat bastard, so I'm not throwing stones)

They also recommended changing Athena and Clydesdale labels to "weight classification athletes" in the rule book. That should make people feel better about themselves (sarcasm mode).

Wish what they were saying made more sense.

2012-04-11 10:38 AM

New user

For only selfish reasons, I would not be happy with the new rule.  I've raced the last couple of years at 225-230 and the new standard would not have affected me.  However, I've dropped down to 210-215 and would not be eligable anymore.  At local races, I've at times held my own to being one of the top 10 - 20% AG.

However, I have taken flack for racing Clyd because of some of my times.  For a season, I did not race clyd; until a friend said "you fit the standard, you can race it.  I'd rather race somebody who fits the standard who is also fast, than continually be known as the 'fat, unfit, and non competing group'"  I decided I'd rather have some of the "bigger" front of the packers in the group to make it more competative. 

2012-04-11 11:30 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

I haven't read all of the reply's, so sorry if this has been covered.

IMO they have to set the weight somewhere.  I wish they would set the Clyde and Athena class based on your BMI, or somehow on your fitness.  I'm so far over 200-220-250, even 270 that it will likely never matter to me.  I have seen a clyde division where there was a guy my sized (around 5'9" Round in the middle, yet very active) standing next to a really tall very in-shape looking guy at the start of the Clyde wave.  Just doesn't seem like a good match-up.

2012-04-11 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Interesting thread.  Doesn't matter much to me one way or another as I have raced both AG, Clyde, and Master Clyde.  I typically will register for the division that has the most people.  As a matter of fact this weekend I am racing a Setup events race and at last count there were 19 Master Clydes, so that is my division for the weekend.  Seems like the setup events always has a fair number in both of those divisions.  I have actually done more than one event where the Masters Clyde category top 2 had better finishing times than my own AG (40-44).  Contrary to some people's opinions there can be quite a bit of good competition in these divisions.  I actually seem to get along with all of the people in these divisions, maybe because we are all supposed to be jolly.
2012-04-12 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4144847

User image

Pro
Houston
Just wanted to add that if you want to give input you can e-mail [email protected]
2012-04-13 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Well, my 2 cents are worth the same as everyone else's.  I've never understood the need for the A/C classes.  For the record, I would qualify . . . and I get the "competitive disadvantage" argument.

But weight is just one of many things upon which you can differentiate the ability to "fairly" compete.

I say do away with them entirely.

2012-04-13 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis

After thinking about this for a few days, I've come to the conclusion that this is just the type of motivation that I needed. I always looked at just the Clyde category and tried to compete against the people there. In races around here the Clyde category seems pretty competitive with a couple of guys making it up to the top overall. 

As crazy as it sounds, I see now that this might have been a subconscious reason to not drop the final few pounds. I like being a Clyde and enjoy racing against people my size, but I've come to realize that since I've lost all this weight I'm not the size I once was and I should be competing against those skinnier guys. I looked up some of the taller pro guys and found Matty Reed, he's 6'5" and 180. He totally blew away my idea that tall guys just weren't designed to run fast. In reality, tall guys who are really overweight and don't train, aren't meant to go fast. Matty is my new inspiration, not that I'll ever be able to compete like he does. I should keep losing weight and drop down to skinnier faster me. I've got a lot of work to do and I'll get started right after I finish this pizza and beer. Embarassed  

2012-04-14 9:33 AM

Union Ky

Yes!!!!! I am always amazed at people who are are negative towards larger people. We large people (6'3") don't have a chance against a equally fit (5'8 to 6') . Stop it would you -your killn me smoltz!.

When I was 20 years old I weighed 185 ounds -32" waiste and 6% fat. I had to race these guys at 140 lbs -no way. now at 49 a bit heavier. I would race anyone my weight - no matter what age. work done is energy to move weight period.yOU PUT A WATT METER ON THE BIKE I WILL PULL 300 WATTS TO SOMEONES 180 OR 200 FOR THE SAME SPEED. THATS THE SIMPLE FACT. Age far less affects performance then weight.

I like it and I don't care -Don't be a tri prude!!!!!! Let us race - what are you afraid of. In fact there needs to be more weight catagories and less age catagories. My gosh every 5 years -give me a break !!!The best senerio is every 10 years and every 20 lbs of weight from 180. that would be most accurate for competivness. !!!

Edited by [email protected] 2012-04-14 9:43 AM
2012-04-14 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4149203

Union Ky

why do we have age catagories , male, female catagories?This is most confusing to me . weight matters more time-than any of these in performance endurance sports.  - hmmmmmm!! 

why is the implication that  if your larger your less fit or less qualified. if the only criteria is who finished first all other catagories should be eliminated.

2012-04-14 10:57 AM

Union Ky

Sorry-I just can't let this go. Are we being brainwashed here. "I run for fun" ," it doesn't matter to me" . " I race against myself". WHAT!!! SORRY GUYS/GALS - You don't need to enter into a tri for any of those reasons - You enter to see what you do on any given day AGAINST COMPETITION! Why have times , etc. Lets just all have fun. Com'on sorry for the sacasism but we need a reality break here. I run , train and enter triathlons. i want to win!!! of course I can't but to lets not let some people declare us insignificant because they" have advanced to a higher state of competative eutopia!- again sorry.

Look you enter to perform -they're clubs rides etc. to just have fun. There seems to be an adversity to the clydes group perpetuated by some to put a taint on the division- why!!!!!!!!Why is there so much decent towards it!!! 

Ladies and gentleman weght catagories are especially correct in INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE SPORT-BOXING -WRESTLING ETC. There are inherent phicicallities with people. Can you imagine if they say lets have a 125 pound boxer fight a 210 pound boxer, no !!!! because weight is and avantage here isn't it. So are we critisizing clydsdale division because FINALLY WE CAN DUMP ON BIGGER STRONGER PEOPLE.THIS IS A SPORT WHERE SMALL PEOPLE RULE - BEGONE BIG GUY! YOU  Are the inferior one.! now!

I'm not going to let you guys pass on this .  Age cat should be every 10 years and weight every 20 lbs. based on diminished INHERANT phisical abilities in performance ; the same premise as gender and age.

2012-04-14 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4150401

User image

Pro
Houston
[email protected] - 2012-04-14 10:57 AM

Sorry-I just can't let this go. Are we being brainwashed here. "I run for fun" ," it doesn't matter to me" . " I race against myself". WHAT!!! SORRY GUYS/GALS - You don't need to enter into a tri for any of those reasons - You enter to see what you do on any given day AGAINST COMPETITION! Why have times , etc. Lets just all have fun. Com'on sorry for the sacasism but we need a reality break here. I run , train and enter triathlons. i want to win!!! of course I can't but to lets not let some people declare us insignificant because they" have advanced to a higher state of competative eutopia!- again sorry.

Look you enter to perform -they're clubs rides etc. to just have fun. There seems to be an adversity to the clydes group perpetuated by some to put a taint on the division- why!!!!!!!!Why is there so much decent towards it!!! 

Ladies and gentleman weght catagories are especially correct in INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE SPORT-BOXING -WRESTLING ETC. There are inherent phicicallities with people. Can you imagine if they say lets have a 125 pound boxer fight a 210 pound boxer, no !!!! because weight is and avantage here isn't it. So are we critisizing clydsdale division because FINALLY WE CAN DUMP ON BIGGER STRONGER PEOPLE.THIS IS A SPORT WHERE SMALL PEOPLE RULE - BEGONE BIG GUY! YOU  Are the inferior one.! now!

I'm not going to let you guys pass on this .  Age cat should be every 10 years and weight every 20 lbs. based on diminished INHERANT phisical abilities in performance ; the same premise as gender and age.

Please feel free to e-mail the USAT guy I posted earlier.

2012-04-14 9:57 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I think they should do away with it.  I saw a guy at St. Anthonys registering.  He was tall over 6'2 checking in as a clyde.  He had HEAVY boots on...like big heavily soled motorcycle boots on and jeans with a big belt and weighed 200#.............The boots alove easily weighed 6#.  Not fair.  Also not fair for a 151# 5'10" women competing against a 5'3" 210 pound woman, yet these are the rules so there it is.  If they want "weight" categories do it by BMI or soemthing or do away with it.  My opinion.  I really don't buy that people who are taller are at a disadvantage over someone who is shorter.  And I am 5'3" so you can't really throw too many stones at me   My legs are a foot shorter than some peoples and I am not tiny wieght wise so there it is. Plus old women with walkers pass me on the run
2012-04-14 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4150272

User image

Regular
Houston, Texas
[email protected] - 2012-04-14 9:33 AM

The best senerio is every 10 years and every 20 lbs of weight from 180. that would be most accurate for competivness. !!!

I like this idea!  The only area it seems you need 5 year increments is at youth and older, post-retirement ages.

LIke many here, at 260 now (down from 275 four months ago!) the new cutoff makes no difference to me.  I'm a Clydesdale.  Maybe in another year we'll have something to talk about, but I'm here for a while.

Really though, whether it's USAT or other organizations, they are trying to make simple differentiations among competitors, when weight is seldom a true indicator.  Composition is always key.

2012-04-15 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

I have no dog in this fight, but I'd like to share an observation from a recent race.

The three fastest clydes were very competitive within their age groups.  I was surprised to see them on the Clyde podium because they weren't particularly tall (nor did they have much flab).  But they had lot of muscle mass, likely from spending a lot of time lifting weights.  My thought upon seeing them is that they were at no natural disadvantage compared to those in their AG (like a 6 ft 4 guy might be), but that they qualified for an "easier-to-podium" Clyde category because of their lifestyle (lifting) choice giving then an extra 15 lbs.

I think the new rules will keep these types of guys out of the Clyde category and leave it for those who are truly at a natural disadvantage due to size.

Brian

2012-04-16 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4151688

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
famelec - 2012-04-15 12:54 PM

I have no dog in this fight, but I'd like to share an observation from a recent race.

The three fastest clydes were very competitive within their age groups.  I was surprised to see them on the Clyde podium because they weren't particularly tall (nor did they have much flab).  But they had lot of muscle mass, likely from spending a lot of time lifting weights.  My thought upon seeing them is that they were at no natural disadvantage compared to those in their AG (like a 6 ft 4 guy might be), but that they qualified for an "easier-to-podium" Clyde category because of their lifestyle (lifting) choice giving then an extra 15 lbs.

I think the new rules will keep these types of guys out of the Clyde category and leave it for those who are truly at a natural disadvantage due to size.

Brian

^^ This is my take on it as well. My last sprint, the top 3 Athenas were very competitive and would have been in the top 10 of all the women. It does come down to body composition as I doubt I will ever be out of the Athena weight range unless I lose some muscle mass and drop to a very low fat%.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New weight rules for Athena & Clydesdale in 2013 Rss Feed  

of 4