General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood in Urine..yes, I saw a Dr for this Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-11 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Blood in Urine..yes, I saw a Dr for this

As the post says, I did see a doctor so I am not looking for a diagnosis, but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar problem...its not very common but can happen, and it happened to me this morning after a +/- 2hr /13 mile run and it was for the first time in about a year....since this is sensitive in nature I am sure we could have fun joking around but I also hope there is some serious feedback mixed in with the jokes also..thanks

Just some background.....about 2 1/2 yrs ago after longish runs (at the time that was an hour or so) I would get some blood in my urine right after the run.  It would only last for the first urination and quickly clear up on the next trip to the bathroom...this only occured periodically after a run, never at any other time. Even though being in the healthcare field I should have known better to get checked out right away, i didnt.  working with athletes I knew there was a chance it was from bladder wall irritation/ jarring of kidneys etc(we had some athletes with this)...so i ignored it since it did not happen all the time and partly from being stupid.

Well about 6 months later (about 1 1/2 yrs ago) the same thing had happened again the same way, so I decided to get checked....I had blood work (negative), urinalysis( completely negative, no blood)  CT scan with contrast of my kidneys/pelvis(normal), and even cystoscopy (tube up MR. JOHNSON..OUCH) to check out the bladder(also normal)...the doctor told me everything is fine no cancer/tumor etc...the blood may be from bladder irritation/ microtrauma etc...he was not concerned in the least.

So fast forward to this morning which was my first episode in about a year.....some blood after urinating after the run and quickly went away again.......it is always alarming to look at it.

So even though it is a sensitive topic...has anyone experienced the similar problem? and had been tested and everything was normal?  I realize in advance that I may not get too much response on this thread but figured I would throw it out there anyway

thanks

2012-04-11 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4143097

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Blood in Urine..yes, I saw a Dr for this

I've peed blood after several major races (very difficult marathons, HIM) and also had it checked out. Doc also chalked it up to bladder wall friction and/or kidney "bruising" (also had what seemed to be yucky shoulder-ish pain one mary but was kidney, probably, ow) and like yours, was very unconcerned. Didn't even bother to go back for any med tests/consult after the third time.

Don't know if that helps, but yes, you have a fellow experiencer, and I know personally of quite a few others that this has happened /happens to.

2012-04-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4143144

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
had blood in the urine back in college and dr. linked it to the anti-inflammatories that I was on before my knee surgery. Thank goodness I don't take stuff like that anymore.
2012-04-11 12:13 PM

User image

Had it shortly after going on blood thiiners, guess the kidneys are a bit sensitive.  Also had the cystoscopy.  Prior to that, I thought I had suffered every probing known to man.  I was wrong.
2012-04-11 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

It has happened to me 3-4 times over my athletic career (first time in about 1983).

Almost always from a hard run, but usually not the hardest ones...Like you, just one urination.

The last time was from rhabdo after a stupid crazy squat workout when I hadn't been doing squats on a regular basis.  almost needed medical treatment for the leg trauma....it was horrible.

For a few years I've been on anticoagulants but it hasn't happened during this time.

2012-04-11 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

YES!  Me!!!! 

In Nov 2010, as I was training for a HM and started running in a new pair of shoes I regularly started noticing blood in my urine, again only after the first post run urination.  I searched the boards here and ST, and most responses I found chaulked it up to dehydration or "Dude, you're dying of cancer". I talked to my Dr at my yearly appt in Dec and she felt strongly that it is bc the bladder is a bloody, mucous-y (is that a word?) mess and not worry about it. 

In April of 2011 I went back to the Dr bc I was still experiencing this (still regularly but not every run) it was now accompanied by a sharp pain in my lower abdomin (next to my ovaries).  I had blood tests, MRIs, you name it and nothing.  Dr just said to monitor it.  Shortly thereafter it went away.  Every now and then the same thing happens but not regularly anymore.

Things I have started to do differently since this first happened; hydrate more before running (I used to be really, really awful about hydrating) and I've actually changed my diet pretty dramatically to exclude any processed foods and trying to exclude gluten and dairy as much as possible.  The abdominal pain has also gone away except for random occaisions.

So, yes, you are not alone but I do wish there was more explanation. 

2012-04-11 2:32 PM

User image

Elite
thanks for the feedback....yes , thankfully it does not happen a lot, but was suprised it came back again this morning...ive been training all winter and this was not even my longest run and I was well rested etc....but glad to hear im not alone...happy training!
2012-04-11 2:45 PM

New user
DC Metro

I'm a Gynecologist, so not an expert on bladders and endurance athletics per se, but the bladder is pretty easy to irritate.  When it becomes irritated and inflamed you can see blood in your urine.  It always needs to be evaluated.  The most common cause of blood in the urine (hematuria) is a bladder infection, and next is a kidney stone.  But more serious problems like kidney or bladder cancer can also cause it.  It sounds like you had a pretty good evaluation including a cystoscopy which is pretty good for ruling out bladder cancer.  Once the bad has been ruled out it is just a matter of trying to explain it, and I would bet it is simply with some longer runs it suffers from some physical trauma. 

Also remember that it does not take much blood to make your urine look very bloody.  A few drops of red food coloring can make a whole gallon of water look pretty red.  Urine and blood are the same. 

And for the necessary legal disclaimer - no providing a diagnosis or medical advice, just hopefully adding a plausible explanation! 

Good Luck!

2012-04-11 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
So, serious question in non-serious form:

Is this a case of the bladder wall needing to HTFU? or does that not happen with internal organs?
2012-04-11 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Mississippi

I raced a half marathon in Jan.  I urinated blood immediately after and continued to do so (less and less each time) for the next couple of hours.  I was fine by the evening.

That race was on a Saturday; the Monday following that I had an easy run with some hill repeats.  Afterward, I had the same issue.  That was the last time though.  No more issues since then.

2012-04-11 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
I haven't had it yet, but when I decided to get into Tri's a friend who used to do tons or Pro mountain biking told me to not panic WHEN I see it happen. Not even and IF, but WHEN. In his view, it just comes from that much time on the bike and the jarring of the kidneys.

No idea what the real deal is, but I'm getting the feeling that it's "normal".

2012-04-11 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
I've had it several times on runs longer than 6 miles. I just started noticing it a few months ago as my runs got long leading up to New Orleans 70.3. At first I was concerned and read up on it on the internet. I went to the doc and he assumed it was a UTI and gave me meds. I have since read about it happening to other runners so I'm not as concerned. I will mention it to my OB/GYN next time I visit. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood in Urine..yes, I saw a Dr for this Rss Feed