General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie question: Timex GPS watches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-11 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Newbie question: Timex GPS watches

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the sport.  I was looking into watch gear and have been attracted to the Timex GPS watches: the Global trainer and the Run Trainer.  I've read all of DC Rainmaker reviews and a ton of blogs.  It seems like the Run Trainer is the newer version and has a few kinks worked out, but the Global trainer can be purchased for about $120 right now (HR monitor included) vs. $170 for the Run Trainer.  The Run Trainer seems to have slightly less functionality.  

As I said, I'm brand new to the sport and my goal is to do 3 more races in 2012.  I've looked at the Garmin xt  watches, but feel they may be a little out of my price range at this point.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Global trainer.  It's had some issues but it sounds like Timex has resolved most of those with firmware updates.  While the Run Trainer is a little newer and not as bulky, I'm not sure it has any more functionality.  Can anyone advise?

2012-04-11 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4144134

User image

Regular
Norman
Subject: RE: Newbie question: Timex GPS watches
I received a run trainer for my birthday in January. So far I love it, I take it out on all my runs and bike rides. What concerns do you have about it?
2012-04-11 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4144143

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
No concerns...just curious if it was worth the extra $50 for it over the Global trainer.  Thoughts?
2012-04-11 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Norman

To me the main difference is the screen.  Here is a video if you haven't watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWIQNegGyq4 

I've never worn the global trainer and the price was higher when I purchased my run trainer. By the comparison in the video the global trainer looks nice, I prefer the setup of the screen on the run trainer though.

2012-04-11 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
Norman
Oh and on Amazon they have the global for $120 and run for $137
2012-04-11 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

I've always liked Timex and their products.  I have their Global Trainer.

I had all the initial problems with satellite acquisition and once I installed the latest firmware the only problem I have now is the ocassional situation where upon turning it on, it will clock indefinitely acquiring satellites and I will have to power it down, then back up, and it finds the satellites in about 10 seconds after that.

I also find that it gives less accurate readings than my friends with Garmin watches get.  If I take a tight turn it seems to cut the corners off my turns.  I can't use it mtn biking or trail running because I will lose 10% of my distance.  Plus it loses the satellites in the hills in my part of the country.  I don't know what satellites it uses, but they must be relatively close to the horizon.

That may just be the state of GPS in my location or it may be the watch.  The only thing I think I know for sure that the watch is not doing right is showing less distance over a course than it should when there are turns involved, and not always acquiring the satellites on power up.

I expect that the newer run trainer probably works great.

2012-04-11 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4144271

User image

Regular
Norman
JeffY - 2012-04-11 4:25 PM

I've always liked Timex and their products.  I have their Global Trainer.

I had all the initial problems with satellite acquisition and once I installed the latest firmware the only problem I have now is the ocassional situation where upon turning it on, it will clock indefinitely acquiring satellites and I will have to power it down, then back up, and it finds the satellites in about 10 seconds after that.

I also find that it gives less accurate readings than my friends with Garmin watches get.  If I take a tight turn it seems to cut the corners off my turns.  I can't use it mtn biking or trail running because I will lose 10% of my distance.  Plus it loses the satellites in the hills in my part of the country.  I don't know what satellites it uses, but they must be relatively close to the horizon.

That may just be the state of GPS in my location or it may be the watch.  The only thing I think I know for sure that the watch is not doing right is showing less distance over a course than it should when there are turns involved, and not always acquiring the satellites on power up.

I expect that the newer run trainer probably works great.

The run trainer does that sometimes also, its not as bad when I turn off the auto pause/start, but still occurs sometimes. No problems with hills or anything like that thank goodness.

2012-04-11 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4144244

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Yea, I don't think that $137 includes the HRM.  That's just the watch.  If you see one with the HRM for $137 shoot me the link because i think I'd go ahead and get it.
2012-04-11 7:45 PM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
I have the global trainer and love it. With the updates it's the same technology. The global has way more bike gear options. You may not be looking at power now but if you stay in the sport it'll cross your mind and it'll be worth it not to have to buy a new watch if you start to add stuff. It's cheaper and designed for triathlon. I would say it's a no brainer.
2012-04-12 12:30 AM

User image

I have used the global trainer for 1 year and I really like it. If you go with the GT you will be happy you did.
2012-04-12 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I ordered the Global Trainer last night.  I look forward to using it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie question: Timex GPS watches Rss Feed