General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero helmet fit;or is it just me? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-12 9:32 AM

Subject: Aero helmet fit;or is it just me?

Starting last season I've looked at buying an aero helmet.Bought a Giro-hard to get on,flimsy ear flaps,small was too small,med.seemed too big and just uncomfortable.Recently purchased a LG Superleggera-(small)once on,fits ok.Not too hard to get on.Ears hang out slightly under bottom.It's doable but just doesn't offer a comfort level I expected.These type helmets (the shell anyway)seem to be made "flimsy" when compared to typical good quality road helmets.(I wear a specialized S-works).

Is this the norm in aero helmets?

2012-04-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4145527

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
Subject: RE: Aero helmet fit;or is it just me?
They aren't "flimsy" on the top where the padding is. The ear flaps don't need to be made heavy duty since that would only add weight and make your head overheat. 
2012-04-12 1:15 PM

User image

Chicago
FYI...Superleggera roughly translates to "super light" in Italian...  If they're trying to be true to their name, I suppose that means some components will feel "flimsy" in an effort to make them "light."
2012-04-12 1:20 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
As noted, the protection is not in the plastic covering.  All the excess is intended to do is to smooth the airflow.  In those areas, there's no reason to 'beef' up the material.
2012-04-12 1:23 PM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
To add to Run's case, I've read of several ear flaps breaking when putting them on (they were a helmet not yet mentioned here) but I imagine they are similarly weak over the ears.
2012-04-12 1:31 PM

User image

I tried on the Giro as I had heard of cerain fit issues and the ear flaps having tendency to break.  Also tried a couple others.  Ended up with a Uvex aero helmet, had borrowed a friend's for an earlier race and seemed to fit and feel just like my road helmet (i.e., I didn't notice it)

2012-04-12 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Use to have a LG superleggera and agreed it was to light, so i went with th LG vorttice black knight and so far no issues with durability, seems more solid of a helmet to me.
2012-04-12 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago Area

I've tried on a number of aero helmets from different manufacturers.  Before doing so I had read some online reviews specifically about the Giro Advantage II, where people suggested that the ears are flappy and break too easily when putting it on and removing it.  Upon close inspection of that model and similar offerings from brands such as Bell, LG, etc... I found that they all seem to have similar construction around the ear covers.  I think this "problem" is slightly exaggerated by those who perhaps simply try to carelessly and hastily man-handle the helmet over their head.  That ear piece is flexible by design, specifically to allow it to spread open to fit over your head and then hug the side of your face once it's on.  If you treat it with care it won't break. And that part of the helmet is not designed for protection.  It is simply an aero feature.  Think of a standard road bike helmet... it doesn't cover your ears.  It just protects the top, back, and sides of your head. 

I ended up buying the Giro Advantage by the way, and I have no problems fitting it over my big fat melon.  I simply handle it with care. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero helmet fit;or is it just me? Rss Feed