General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Guesstimating bike speed on race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-12 10:23 PM

Regular
Subject: Guesstimating bike speed on race day

I am prepairing for a sprint tri in June and have tabulated the goals for placing good times in the run and swim.  But the bike portion is hard to predict and train for. 

I noticed that the average top ten bikers are doing 10 miles in 28:00.  The course is right near my house, so I can train on it daily.  But my times are much much slower due to all the darn traffic lights and other road hazards I have to monitor (the course flows through a pretty busy section of town).  My typical best is 34:00 for the course. 

So how do I know I am fully prepared to be near the top 10?  On race day, the roads are closed off, making it a smooth ride from start to finish.  Is there any specific measuring sticks I can look at to at least guesstimate that I am progressing to hit a top 10 time?  If I can hit that time on a trainer, would that help?  Does anyone know how much time you lose slowing down, stopping, starting, and getting back up to speed per traffic light? 

2012-04-12 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4147604

User image

Subject: RE: Guesstimating bike speed on race day
It sounds like this is your first tri. As far as wanting to know your moving speed, Garmin connect has a really good interface that can give you this information if you have a Garmin GPS computer. I applaud your competitive spirit, and hope you come back and tell us you place in the top ten. But... If you're in this race to win it, don't wait until June to do your first tri. Find some others between now and then, and consider them practice. I was only able to predict my race performance after experience in races.
2012-04-12 10:56 PM

User image

in a van, down by the river
kilgoretrout - 2012-04-12 11:23 PM

I am prepairing for a sprint tri in June and have tabulated the goals for placing good times in the run and swim.  But the bike portion is hard to predict and train for. 

I noticed that the average top ten bikers are doing 10 miles in 28:00.  The course is right near my house, so I can train on it daily.  But my times are much much slower due to all the darn traffic lights and other road hazards I have to monitor (the course flows through a pretty busy section of town).  My typical best is 34:00 for the course. 

So how do I know I am fully prepared to be near the top 10?  On race day, the roads are closed off, making it a smooth ride from start to finish.  Is there any specific measuring sticks I can look at to at least guesstimate that I am progressing to hit a top 10 time?  If I can hit that time on a trainer, would that help?  Does anyone know how much time you lose slowing down, stopping, starting, and getting back up to speed per traffic light? 

Sounds nuts but not knowing where you are -- what about a try at 4 am when the stoplights are flashing yellow and there's no traffic ?I bet your interrupted ride of 6 mins slower is 1/2 due to lights and down-speed maneuvering.
2012-04-12 11:27 PM

User image

Pro

How long is the run?  

On a 10 mile bike there won't be 4 minutes separating the REALLY good riders from the PRETTY good riders.....if the run is 3 or 4 miles you can make all of that up if you run well.

On a sprint tri.....I'll take the guy who can turn 5:30 - 6:00 miles on the run.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-04-12 11:27 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Guesstimating bike speed on race day Rss Feed