General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok..who's done a 70.3 IRONMAN? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-14 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4149750

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: Ok..who's done a 70.3 IRONMAN?
To the OP: I train with music and audiobooks, but never race with headphones. You really don't need it in races -- it's nice to be able to talk to your fellow athletes (either a full on conversation or a short "nice job, keep going!") and soak up the experience!

2012-04-14 12:27 PM

User image

Los Angeles

I really appreciate everyones encouragement that I can run without music . I run half marathons at least 5 times a year and I can't imagine running without music....but if it must be done...it must be done and I can do it.

After looking that the Oceanside course...I know I can do the bike course with no problems (lots of hills, I hear and a killer hill) but my sister is in Indiana and can't really train on any hills (damn flatland). So we decided to give up the Oceanside HIM and we are going to do the Memorial Herman Texas HIM. Flat, flat and more flat . Anyone done this one before?

2012-04-14 12:32 PM

Expert
Clydesdale, I was just talking a little trash. You are correct. I try to flow rules, but list always seems to be growing....lol
2012-04-14 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4150491

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
litljones - 2012-04-14 10:27 AM

I really appreciate everyones encouragement that I can run without music . I run half marathons at least 5 times a year and I can't imagine running without music....but if it must be done...it must be done and I can do it.

It's amazing all the things in life that we "can't" do.

Mostly they're things we tell ourselves we can't do and, then...*presto*...we can't!  It's like magic!

2012-04-14 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4150491

User image

After looking that the Oceanside course...I know I can do the bike course with no problems (lots of hills, I hear and a killer hill) but my sister is in Indiana and can't really train on any hills (damn flatland). So we decided to give up the Oceanside HIM and we are going to do the Memorial Herman Texas HIM. Flat, flat and more flat . Anyone done this one before?

To be honest, the bike course a Oceanside is not that hilly. There is only about 2700 feet of climbing, over 56 miles that is pretty minimal. And it's a gorgeous course. I think a flat HIM course would be boring (and presents its own challenges). That said, if one can't train hills oceanside would suck. LOL. There are threads in the iron distance forum about all these races
2012-04-14 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4150848

User image

Los Angeles
ChrisM - 2012-04-14 3:35 PM

To be honest, the bike course a Oceanside is not that hilly. There is only about 2700 feet of climbing, over 56 miles that is pretty minimal. And it's a gorgeous course. I think a flat HIM course would be boring (and presents its own challenges). That said, if one can't train hills oceanside would suck. LOL. There are threads in the iron distance forum about all these races

Oh, thank you. I haven't explored this site to it's full potential yet. Good to know.

2012-04-14 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4150848

User image

Extreme Veteran
Super Frog is all flat... OP you really didnt answer why it has to be ironman brand. Is it because you want the silly tattoo? Most the people that are truly fast dont get the tattoo heh.
2012-04-14 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4150960

User image

Los Angeles
synthetic - 2012-04-14 5:17 PMSuper Frog is all flat... OP you really didnt answer why it has to be ironman brand. Is it because you want the silly tattoo? Most the people that are truly fast dont get the tattoo heh.
Actually I did answer. I'm a name brand girl and there's nothing wrong with that. I want to do a half ironman because it's an ironman, and bad . I eventually want to do a full ironman and it's only fitting that I do a half ironman first. I'm not fast...I don't do competitive sports to beat anyone but myself. If I get an ironman tattoo that's for me to decide on, I don't get tattoos based on what everyone else does. If you look at the INK post....I'm not an amature tatto canvas. I have spend hours upon hours under the needle. I appreciate tattoos for their meaning. Plus, I don't care about it being flat or not...it's about finishing with my sister and the bonding experience. I know I can do the Oceanside HIM, but the hill would be a disadvantage for my sister. We want a fun experience. That's what it's all about, not being the best. If the Super Frog is a fierce competition then I'm happy to look into it but I've never heard of it and I lived in SD for 10 years. Anything else?

Edited by litljones 2012-04-14 7:50 PM
2012-04-14 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4150999

User image

Extreme Veteran

well the 70.3 oceanside doesnt mean you are an ironman or did an ironman. its a HALF ironman... and people even get the tatto for this.

ironman just being a brand is a company purchasing or making certain set distance events. Vineman, a popular race that is cheaper than ironman, but the same distance has just been purchasedthis year  by WTC, the ironman company. So if someone did the vineman 140.6 last year are they not an ironman? Because if they do it this year they will be.

2012-04-14 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4151036

User image

Los Angeles
I'm not quite sure what your gripe is about? I want to do an HALF ironman because I want to do a HALF ironman. I'm not sure what the big deal is? It's just a race I want to do. If I want to do other races, then I'll do other races. Like I'm doing. LOL. I would never get a tattoo of something I haven't already accomplished, hence me saying, I get tattoos of accomplishments and meaning. I'm totally confused on why you have a problem with me WANTING to do a HALF ironman for the name of it. BUT I guess I don't' have to understand. Good luck in what ever you want to do, I'd never judge. I do things because I like to challenge myself and because I WANT TO.
2012-04-14 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4151046

User image

Payson, AZ

litljones - 2012-04-14 6:21 PM I'm not quite sure what your gripe is about? I want to do an HALF ironman because I want to do a HALF ironman. I'm not sure what the big deal is? It's just a race I want to do. If I want to do other races, then I'll do other races. Like I'm doing. LOL. I would never get a tattoo of something I haven't already accomplished, hence me saying, I get tattoos of accomplishments and meaning. I'm totally confused on why you have a problem with me WANTING to do a HALF ironman for the name of it. BUT I guess I don't' have to understand. Good luck in what ever you want to do, I'd never judge. I do things because I like to challenge myself and because I WANT TO.

This is his usual MO.  Best to just ignore (although that makes it less entertaining for the rest of us).  And you never need to explain to anyone why you want to do anything, but you sure don't have to explain it more then once.  I got your response the first time you explained it

Edited by bzgl40 2012-04-14 8:32 PM

2012-04-14 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4151056

User image

Los Angeles
bzgl40 - 2012-04-14 6:30 PM

litljones - 2012-04-14 6:21 PM I'm not quite sure what your gripe is about? I want to do an HALF ironman because I want to do a HALF ironman. I'm not sure what the big deal is? It's just a race I want to do. If I want to do other races, then I'll do other races. Like I'm doing. LOL. I would never get a tattoo of something I haven't already accomplished, hence me saying, I get tattoos of accomplishments and meaning. I'm totally confused on why you have a problem with me WANTING to do a HALF ironman for the name of it. BUT I guess I don't' have to understand. Good luck in what ever you want to do, I'd never judge. I do things because I like to challenge myself and because I WANT TO.

This is his usual MO.  Best to just ignore.  And you never need to explain to anyone why you want to do anything, but you sure don't have to explain it more then once.  I got your response the first time you explained it

LOL. Thank you PRO I appreciate your response. . I wanted to ignore but felt one last...... I like the challenge, never brings me down. I do what I do because I have a drive and passion for fitness. I do it all for FUN, just for fun.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok..who's done a 70.3 IRONMAN? Rss Feed  

of 2