General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first road bike purchase advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-22 9:23 PM

Subject: first road bike purchase advice
Hello all,
I have started training for my first sprint triathlon in Sept. I am a former HS swimmer and runner (although that was a long time ago now!) so I really need help with the cycling part. And from my research so far, I learned I should spend half of my time training on the bike! I have been looking to purcahse a road bike, perhaps a TREK WSD (I am only 5 ft tall), and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a beginner cyclist? Thanks so much!
Christie

Edited by BornToRun 2006-05-22 9:25 PM

2006-05-22 9:37 PM
in reply to: #430909

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: first road bike purchase advice
Go to your local bike shop and ride several bikes.  Do not buy immediately but evaluate and compare.  Make sure that the bike is upgradable.  I stay away from Sora parts unless price is an issue.  Proper fit is essential. 
2006-05-23 4:21 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Hi Christie,

First, welcome to BT.  Congratulations on starting your training. 

There are a lot of good entry level bikes available.  Trek makes good bikes, as do Cannondale, Giant and several others.  A lot will depend on your budget. 

Visit your local bike shops and tell them what your plans are and your approximate budget.  Don't forget to figure in the cost of a good helmet (a necessity),  & some bike clothes (padded shorts, etc.).  If your budget can handle it, I would also strongly suggest that you consider a pair of bike shoes and clipless pedals - they will make a huge difference in your riding. 

One of the most important (if not the most important) considerations in selecting a bike is fit.   Make sure the people at the bike shop take care in doing this, and aren't just trying to sell you what's on their shop floor.  This topic is discussed here quite frequently, so you may want to scroll back through some of the previous posts.

I'm not sure if I agree with the advice in the previous post about buying an "upgradable" bike.  Other than adding clipless pedals or aerobars, my experience is that there's little to be gained in terms of performance or reliability and it makes more economic sense to save your money towards the eventual purchase of a higher-end bike.  Most of the manufacturers do a good job of matching the frame and the components to start with.  Just my opinion.

Again, welcome and good luck.

Mark 

2006-05-23 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

1. Get familiar with the various road bike brands and models as well as components by reading as much as possible on them and asking lots of questions here and on cycling forums.

2. Make a list of all the bike brands that interest you and that are available in your local bike shops (lbs)

3. Visit each shop and test ride the various brands and models that fall within your price range

4. Ask lots of question to assess both the bikes and lbs staff

5. When you have decided on a specific bike, remember the most important feature will be fit so make sure that you are properly measured for proper bike size  

6. And finally, make sure that the bike you finally decide to buy is adjusted specifically for you

Edited by Machiavelo 2006-05-23 9:57 AM
2006-05-23 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
a lot of people say buy as much bike as you can afford, but be truthful with yourself about how much bike you need. if you don't plan on pounding out centuries or riding in crits, then you'd be fine to look at entry level or second tier bikes. if your skills outgrow your bike in a few years and you really enjoy riding, treat yourself to an upgrade in celebration of your hard work. If your skills outgrow your bike in a few months or weeks, you probably won't have to worry about buying your own bikes anymore.
but make sure you get fitted properly. this will probably lead you to a worthy LBS. don't let the salesperson just watch you ride around the parking lot and say "yeah, that looks like a good fit."
2006-05-24 7:26 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I hope to test ride a few bikes next week. Have a great holiday weekend!

2006-05-24 1:18 PM

User image

Regular
Louisville, KY
I just bought my first road bike 2 weeks ago, and I was advised to buy the bike with the best wheel set I could afford. For us newbies, Barry (the guy who sold it to me over the course of 4 visits and multiple tests) said the wheels are where we will get the best benefit. I bought a 2005 Trek 1500, which is nice because they are cheaper since they're a year old. I must say I love it (it is also nice that it has the same paint scheme as the Discovery team).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first road bike purchase advice Rss Feed