General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building my own bike question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-22 10:39 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Building my own bike question

Question.  If I build my own bike using ebay and other sources, should I be able to save some decent $ doing it? 

I was fitted at the LBS and a Felt 56cm S32 fits me perfectly, $1295 + tax out the door as is.

However, I'd love to build my own bike. I just watched a Felt B2(S22) 56cm frame with oem saddle/carbon post and Fork go for $1k + ship.  Frame alone on the internet is ~ $1500.  A new S22 would run $2400 + tax at the LBS.  I could go full Ultegra vs DA, Alloy bars vs Carbon.  Any ideas on a decent fork (if frame doesn't have one) and decent wheel set to look out for?  Where's my spreadsheet!

Don

2006-05-22 11:19 PM
in reply to: #430981

Champion
Subject: RE: Building my own bike question

Unless you can get deals on used components, I think it's cheaper to buy an assembled mass-produced bike.  All you have to do is take a glance through a parts catalog, like Bike Nashbar, and add up some of the costs, derailleurs, brakes, wheels, etc.  Then tack that onto the frame cost.  You'll start seeing how much, and it might surprise you.  I built my own years ago when I had a custom frame builder (Tom Kellogg) build a Reynolds steel tubed frame for me.  But I scrounged parts from another bike.  Buying the stuff new would have made it lots more expensive.

2006-05-23 8:53 AM

Master
Shreveport, LA
They most likely way you are going to save some major dough is to get something that is from the previous generation.

Let's do a quick addition of what it would cost just for components (Full Ultegra):
1. Shifters (~$200-$250)
2. Cranks ($75)
3. Bottom Bracket ($40)
4. Rear Derailleur ($50)
5. Front Derailleur ($35)
6. Cables ($35)
7. Cassette ($60)
8. Brakes ($75-$100)

You still have wheels, stem, handle bars, seat post, saddle, etc for the bike.

Plus you have to have all of the tools and then add another $75-$150 to ship all of those things individually. And you have to have the skill to put it together.

So unless you find sweet deals on the frame and components or you want to fully customize the bike. It probably is not worth it.

$570-650 for components
$1000 for Frame and Fork
$150 for shipping
$100 for tools

You are looking at $1,900 before you even add a wheelset, handlebars, saddle, etc.

2006-05-23 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I am in the process of building a tribike and am saving a significant amount of money doing it this way - however you need to take your time and and have limits set for what you want to spend for each part.

What I did was:

-find a frame (if you are looking to save moeny - have a look at companies that are offering well reviewed frames but are relatively new to the marketplace - http://www.leaderbikestore.com)- I'm getting a 730TT frame for the first go round
-find wheels (again a new retailer may be the way to go - http://www.xerowheel.com)- I went with XR3's
-look at all the components you want and then the minimum spec you want (I decided on 105 as a minimum)

All this and I'm going to put together my bike for under $1k Canadian including shipping/duties/etc as compared to the Trek Equinox 7 I was looking at which would run around $2k at the LBS.

So, depending on what you want and how much time you are willing to spend, you can save some money (there are people on Slowtwitch who claim to have purchased a P3C frame for $500 and built their bike from there) but if you want to go with a big name bike and new components, you are probably not going to come out having saved any money.

Shane
2006-05-23 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I did exactly that, between ebay and the Slowtwitch classifieds. Total bike cost, with race wheels and such, about $1200. The only part I bought retail was the stem. I was looking for a rather strange geometry, and had resigned myself to having to go with a custom builder when my larger funds dried up (would have been more than that for just the frame).

I ended up getting a ti frame that was almost the EXACT geometry I was looking for, Profile Alumin-X bars, Renn disk, H3 front, and all the trimmings, though it took some time and knowing how to get it all put together. But this isn't the first time I've done that sort of thing (building up a bike from a bare frame).

So the short answer is that, yes, you CAN save a lot of money, but you need to be patient, work ebay (I suggest Phantombidder) properly, research the pieces you're buying, know what you're getting, and what your price limits are all the way around.
2006-05-23 6:24 PM
in reply to: #431615

Elite
Laurium, MI

you can, but not with ebay, unless you are very lucky or like used parts.

I jus finished buying parts for my fixie and this is what i found.

90% of the time, you may think you are getting a good deal, only to be slapped down by shipping.  I found parts on ebay from reputable retailers that when combined with shipping cost more then what it cost me to special order with my LBS.  Also be going with my LBS, I get a shop connection for simple returns and warrentee claims.

I did end up buying some parts online.  When i did this, I bought as many at one time as i could and I found a shop that offered a big rebate on larger orders.  I got 15% off plus free shipping for buying over 150 in parts at once.  The price of individual parts was more then elswhere, but the rebate and free shipping made the total cost the cheapest.  Don't forget there is no tax on online transactions.

Sometimes it is cheaper to buy parts, sometimes it's not.  I'm hand building my rear wheel and it is winding up to be cheaper then if I bought a prefab track wheel.  It might be the same for aero wheels, especially if you find just rims on ebay.  Lacing yourself and having a shop tension and true is cheaper then having them build the whole wheel, and it is 90% of the work.

Anyway, my point is plan out the entire build and price from as many places as you can.  You will find a mix of vendors or options that will reduce the price to a bare minimum.  Even so, you will most likley just break even on the bike, unless you are building something unique.

2006-05-24 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Near Atlanta

I bought a Cannondale Ironman last year that came with Truvativ/Tiagra/105 drivetrain..

I since have upgraded to full dura ace (purchasing the parts on ebay - all new in box except the front derailleur) and spent less than $700 including shipping...

Front Derailleur, Brakes, Complete Crank w/bb, Rear Derailleur - ALL DuraAce

Chain - Whipperman 10S1

Cassette - Ultegra 

The deals are out there.. you just have to watch each part and buy when it's a deal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building my own bike question Rss Feed