General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I looked pretty awesome... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-19 7:48 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: I looked pretty awesome...
...in my new Xterra wetsuit...

• ..until I tried to take it off. Seriously. That had to be awesome home video material. Can some other newb completely anticipate the awesomeness and then film it for me?

• Is this the OWS version of falling over in clipless pedals?

2012-04-19 7:58 PM
    in reply to: #4161767

User image

Expert
    Ontario Canada
    Subject: RE: I looked pretty awesome...
    Been There, I had the same problem when I got mine a couple of weeks ago. It gets easier, but trying to get out of it the first time was almost comical my wife was howeling. after soaking it it got a lot easier
    2012-04-19 8:15 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
    After about the 5th time you will figure it out.....once I figured out where to pull, its pretty easy.  I worried about it the first time I had it on, so I can definitely relate.  Check youtube for wetsuit removal clips....there are several.
    2012-04-19 8:31 PM
    in reply to: #4161803

User image

Master
    Essex Jct, VT

NeverEnough - 2012-04-19 9:15 PM After about the 5th time you will figure it out.....once I figured out where to pull, its pretty easy.  I worried about it the first time I had it on, so I can definitely relate.  Check youtube for wetsuit removal clips....there are several.

But not many that are better than this one.Wink  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrB2hu0ZBo

2012-04-19 11:56 PM

User image

Veteran
    Mission Viejo,
    2 words:  Body Glide
    2012-04-20 6:59 AM

User image

Regular
    Hamilton, IL
    I had already watched several videos. Hadn't seen that one posted above. It helped me the most, but not with the wetsuit. Just with the mood.

Body glide is gonna be a big help, I'm sure.

Also, I noted how freaking warm that thing made me. 5 minutes of posing in front of the mirror (I mean, checking the fit) had me sweating like a pig. That surely equates to awesomeness in 60 degree water, but non-awesomeness whiles one is waiting to start their wave in 80 degree sunny temps. Hopefully those air temps and water temps don't coincide all that often.

As an interesting side question, I notice a little checking pattern on the inside of the forearm. What's the purpose of that, does it give your arm more grab or something in the water? Is that something that will ever be made "illegal?"

2012-04-20 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
    Greenville, SC
    when i got mine in the mail i immediately put it on to test the fit. was impossible to take off dry, nearly killed me.  after swimming a few times in it i can get it off/on much easier, which is good, because i was thinking 10 minutes for T1 was looking good at the rate it was taking me to remove it hah
    2012-04-20 7:08 AM
    in reply to: #4162186

User image

Regular
    Hamilton, IL
    Clempson - 2012-04-20 7:06 AM

when i got mine in the mail i immediately put it on to test the fit. was impossible to take off dry, nearly killed me.  after swimming a few times in it i can get it off/on much easier, which is good, because i was thinking 10 minutes for T1 was looking good at the rate it was taking me to remove it hah

Did you get the Xterra with that promo code? That thing was at my doorstep <48 hours after placing the order.

Also, you didn't film yourself trying to take it off did you? lol!

I was hoping 90%of the problem was because it was dry.
    2012-04-20 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
    Greenville, SC
    yep that's the one i got, it was night/day taking it off dry/wet.  it will get easier.
    2012-04-20 7:57 AM

Master
    Northern IL
    The wetsuit will come off a lot more easily when it's wet. Tricky parts still tend to be getting a hold on the pull cord and getting it off around the ankles. That comes with practice (and some BG).
    2012-04-20 8:57 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Yeah I got mine from xterra as well, the first time was nuts, the dog was a little worried about me when I was trying to take it off, but between the body glide and being wet it was much easier to get on/off. 

Yanti suggested using a plastic bag to put on your hands/feet when putting it on to help it slide on better and that helped me alot so paying it forward

2012-04-20 9:16 AM
    in reply to: #4162425

User image

Regular
    Hamilton, IL
    Tripopo - 2012-04-20 8:57 AM

Yeah I got mine from xterra as well, the first time was nuts, the dog was a little worried about me when I was trying to take it off, but between the body glide and being wet it was much easier to get on/off. 

Yanti suggested using a plastic bag to put on your hands/feet when putting it on to help it slide on better and that helped me alot so paying it forward

Thanks to you (& Yanti) for the advice. I'll try that!
    2012-04-20 9:17 AM
    in reply to: #4161825

User image

Master
    Sunbury, Pennsylvania
    rsmoylan - 2012-04-19 9:31 PM

NeverEnough - 2012-04-19 9:15 PM After about the 5th time you will figure it out.....once I figured out where to pull, its pretty easy.  I worried about it the first time I had it on, so I can definitely relate.  Check youtube for wetsuit removal clips....there are several.

But not many that are better than this one.Wink  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrB2hu0ZBo

Wait, that video is about wetsuits?

2012-04-20 9:20 AM

I just got my first wetsuit this week, so had to put it on right away.  I accidently had some of the inside flap (between zipper and skin) get caught in the zipper, so when I tried to take it off, the problem was getting the zipper past that sticking point.  Imagine me home alone, can't get the zipper farther than 3-4 inches below neck, sweat dripping down my face, trying to decide if I'd be able to get it off or wait 3 hours until my wife got home.  Luckily after about 10 minutes I had built up enough sweat inside to slide out of it and see what the problem had been.
    2012-04-20 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Danno77 - 2012-04-19 7:48 PM ...in my new Xterra wetsuit... ...until I tried to take it off. Seriously. That had to be awesome home video material. Can some other newb completely anticipate the awesomeness and then film it for me? Is this the OWS version of falling over in clipless pedals?

That is nothing.  My first wesuit fail was putting one on for the first time.  I thought I had the correct size and fit.  When I came out of the dressing room the guy just looked at me like I had 3 heads and tried not to laugh.  Yeah, I was the guy who put the wesuit on backwards and had the zipper running up and down my chest.  It did make it easier to unzip, however.

2012-04-20 2:25 PM
    in reply to: #4163273

User image

Regular
    Hamilton, IL
    clemson05 - 2012-04-20 2:16 PM

Danno77 - 2012-04-19 7:48 PM ...in my new Xterra wetsuit... ...until I tried to take it off. Seriously. That had to be awesome home video material. Can some other newb completely anticipate the awesomeness and then film it for me? Is this the OWS version of falling over in clipless pedals?

That is nothing.  My first wesuit fail was putting one on for the first time.  I thought I had the correct size and fit.  When I came out of the dressing room the guy just looked at me like I had 3 heads and tried not to laugh.  Yeah, I was the guy who put the wesuit on backwards and had the zipper running up and down my chest.  It did make it easier to unzip, however.

LoL, that's my brother. He went surfing for the first time and his buddies lent him a suit. I guess they got to the beach and noticed he had his on backwards, so they had to hold a couple surfboards up while he stripped down and fixed it.

I don't know if it adds or detracts from my story to include the information that I was previously wearing khakis and a shirt/tie, so in order to put the suit on I stripped down naked.

as I'm sitting there on the bathroom floor huffing and puffing with the suit down at my ankles in a weird contorted v-sit and my business hanging all free my wife feels the need to say "I hope it fits, because you can't return it NOW".

It was in this state that I was praying that the house didn't catch on fire, because I was unsure how much longer it would take to get out and I pictured having to run out into the yard with a towel around my waist and a wetsuit trailing from my feet.

Edited by Danno77 2012-04-20 2:25 PM

2012-04-20 3:51 PM
    in reply to: #4163305

User image

Veteran
    Salt Lake City
    Danno77 - 2012-04-20 1:25 PM
    clemson05 - 2012-04-20 2:16 PM

LoL, that's my brother. He went surfing for the first time and his buddies lent him a suit. I guess they got to the beach and noticed he had his on backwards, so they had to hold a couple surfboards up while he stripped down and fixed it. I don't know if it adds or detracts from my story to include the information that I was previously wearing khakis and a shirt/tie, so in order to put the suit on I stripped down naked. as I'm sitting there on the bathroom floor huffing and puffing with the suit down at my ankles in a weird contorted v-sit and my business hanging all free my wife feels the need to say "I hope it fits, because you can't return it NOW". It was in this state that I was praying that the house didn't catch on fire, because I was unsure how much longer it would take to get out and I pictured having to run out into the yard with a towel around my waist and a wetsuit trailing from my feet.

This was the laugh I needed today.  THANK YOU!!

2012-04-20 3:52 PM

User image

The first time I swam in a wetsuit I took over 6 minutes off of my 1500 meter swim time.  Then I spend 5:16 in T1, most of that time fighting with the wetsuit to get it off.  It's a good thing I didn't have a box cutter with me because I probably would have left T1 with a ruined wetsuit and bloody legs.
    2012-04-20 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
    Tempe, Arizona
    Getting a wetsuit off when it's dry can be pretty hard!  It is slightly easier pulling it off when it's wet, but when you're a bit wobbly after the swim, there can be a lot of struggling and swearing (usually when I get to my feet and the timing chip).  My advice to you - wetsuit strippers!!!! If your tri event has them, then make full use of them, as they are awesome volunteers!  I made use of them for the first time last weekend, and they were fantastic and I was out of my full-sleeved wetsuit in seconds!  Make sure to thank them too!
    2012-04-20 6:06 PM
    in reply to: #4163732

User image

Regular
    Hamilton, IL
    wartho - 2012-04-20 6:04 PM

Getting a wetsuit off when it's dry can be pretty hard!  It is slightly easier pulling it off when it's wet, but when you're a bit wobbly after the swim, there can be a lot of struggling and swearing (usually when I get to my feet and the timing chip).  My advice to you - wetsuit strippers!!!! If your tri event has them, then make full use of them, as they are awesome volunteers!  I made use of them for the first time last weekend, and they were fantastic and I was out of my full-sleeved wetsuit in seconds!  Make sure to thank them too!

Strippers, you say? I'm all over that.
    2012-04-20 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
    Tempe, Arizona

I have to mention this regarding wetsuits..... as it made me howl with laughter!

I was watching and cheering on some HIM's come out of the water last weekend, before the sprint event I was doing, and I saw one of the funniest things ever in a triathlon:

A poor guy was waddling out of the water in a poorly-fitting wetsuit, with very large "wetsuit balloons" of water around his calves and ankles.  I was mesmerized as I've never seen this before, and I could feel the shoulders shaking of the woman standing next to me.  The wetsuit strippers were tremendously professional as they helped the poor guy out of his suit (getting absolutely soaked in the process), as myself and the lady next to me dissolved into helpless laughter.  I have no idea how the guy swam in it, as the weight of the water must have been tremendous, so I have the greatest respect for him and I hope he finished his event!  Still makes me chuckle!

2012-04-20 7:53 PM
    in reply to: #4161825

User image

Master
    Los Angeles, CA
    rsmoylan - 2012-04-19 6:31 PM

Oh yeah?  What about this one? Wink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL7iJcOuBo0

2012-04-21 12:05 AM

User image

Colorado
    I totally needed this thread after the CNN bike accident thread. And I'll definitely not be trying my wetsuit on at home alone after reading this! Wink
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I looked pretty awesome... Rss Feed